May 10, 2024, 06:59:43 AM

News:

thunderheader for jims 131 in 2010 flhx

Started by partycrasher, October 03, 2009, 05:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

partycrasher

Looking for input on putting a thunderheader 2 into 1 on a jims 131 in my 2010 streetglide. They have the 12 mm o2 bungs which i need for the TTS mastertune.  What i don't know is if this pipe flows enough versus the D&D boss/fatcat...(no boarzilla available at this time)..or the vance and hines new hi-output propipe....problems is....i can't get my hands on the D&D or the Propipe at this time....but the Thunderheader is available.

I think the 131 is not super stout as it....and i expect the D&D would build big low end TQ but limit hi-end HP...and i am ok with that. NOt sure what the propipe will do and not sure about the Thunderheader.....any tuners available to chime in here...Thanks

7hogs

If it were mine I would go with the Thunderheader and mod the baffle. Some where there is a thread on here about that. I have used both and a correctly tuned motor with a T header really is not that loud at cruise but will open up at the crack of the throttle and with that motor the T header will be real deep and beefy sounding.

this is based on my preferences and I love the sound of the T header.

I am not a fan of the pro pipe and with that big of a motor I am not sure you want a stepped header but there are other people on this site that will be more qualified to answer that question than I

partycrasher

7hogs---thanks for the input. I don't know if i stepped pipe would be better or not.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 7hogs on October 03, 2009, 05:43:11 AM
If it were mine I would go with the Thunderheader and mod the baffle. Some where there is a thread on here about that. I have used both and a correctly tuned motor with a T header really is not that loud at cruise but will open up at the crack of the throttle and with that motor the T header will be real deep and beefy sounding.

No need to mod the baffle on a non-mouse motor... Max

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: partycrasher on October 03, 2009, 05:48:15 AM
7hogs---thanks for the input. I don't know if i stepped pipe would be better or not.

If you want  HP it would. Max

partycrasher

max. I'm looking for big low and mid range TQ.

Don D

If you value your ears and truly want low and mid range consider a Supertrap and have the tuner adjust the discs and end cap to suit

noliners

I ran a Thunderheader on my 131. It sounded awesome, but the massive torque dip at 2800 rpm made me dump it. I put on a Boarzilla w/ Perf. baffle. I don't like the sound as well, but I have very little dip, and way more torque and HP.  like 20hp and 25lbs of torque difference. Still waiting for a Thunderheader for big motors.   Rich products designed  this  one  :pop:for 80 in evos. Not 131 Monsters. But like you said there are not lots of choices for 2010 bikes.
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

partycrasher

noliners---That is exactly the real world input i am looking for. Problem i have is no zilla right now for the 2010 touring. Any info or experience with the propipe?

noliners

You could just put the S/E Supertrapp muffler on the the stock 2-1 for now until something better comes out.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: partycrasher on October 03, 2009, 06:11:48 AM
max. I'm looking for big low and mid range TQ.

Well I was thinking the TH would be good for low end cuz the should flow OK on the low side till I saw this..

QuoteI ran a Thunderheader on my 131. It sounded awesome, but the massive torque dip at 2800 rpm made me dump it.

So I guess I am wrong and you would have to bend the baffle tabs.

Wanting  more low end you might want to change cams but I know very little about these motors.

Max

pwmorris

Thunderheader is too small for the 131.
Several years ago I put a well know builder on the trailer at a dyno shoot-out with my 124" with a stepped pipe.
He had a 131" and came in all pumped up with his crew, thinking he was going to rock the house. I saw that Thunderheader and the carb he had
on his monster 131" and I licked my chops.
JBV Racing is testing a prototype stepped pipe for a bagger right now that they will be debuting at the Daytona Horsepower shoot-out next year.
Other than that I don't know much about bagger pipes for big inch engines other than the D&D.

Admiral Akbar

QuoteThunderheader is too small for the 131.

If you are trying to make top HP and a smooth tq curve, you won't get any argument from me there.. You may not see the highest peak TQ though..  Max

partycrasher

pwmorris---thanks for confirming what i suspected.

hrdtail78

TH on a very stout 127 hurt flow and HP numbers.  Stuck something with 2 in. head pipes on.  This wasn't the bagger pipe, and I can't see why there would be a difference in hp between the long and short one.  I can tell you the longer one is better for low end grunt.

FWIW  I ordered a set of TH true duels last tues, and they said it would be about 2 weeks before they were complete.  I asked once again about thier pipe for big inch and got told the same thing again:  They are too busy just keeping up with Moco and thier pipe changes, and big inch pipe is on back burner.  Check back in 3-4 month.
Semper Fi

noliners

I live nearby and heard from an employee at Rich Products (Thunderheader) that the Prototyped big inch thunderheader pipe they made outperforms the Boarzilla.  Now if they would just market it, they would sell tons of em. The test mule was a 124 with a Woods 9F. 

hardyheadscom

last time i talked to  rich products they didn`t have a plan for a larger exhaust. Th doesn`t produce power on  big inch performance motors

I`m trying to think why a 08 borzilla won`t fit on an 09 or 2010

I have installed fat cats on o9 model flh`s........ old and new style fat cats......what`s the trick with 2010`s
hardy heads the best...boy I guess

C-Cat

check with rb racing, they have several 2in. diameter pipes to choose from.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

hrdtail78

Quote from: hardyheadscom on October 04, 2009, 05:56:12 PM
last time i talked to  rich products they didn`t have a plan for a larger exhaust. Th doesn`t produce power on  big inch performance motors

I`m trying to think why a 08 borzilla won`t fit on an 09 or 2010

I have installed fat cats on o9 model flh`s........ old and new style fat cats......what`s the trick with 2010`s

02 sensor placement and size.
Semper Fi

Deye76

Rich Products® has been runnin that BS about making a pipe for big motors for years now. I doubt it'll ever happen.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

iraqandback

I have the VH hioutput propipe and am very satisfied with the look sound and performance. The one set back is with a step up design they do not make heatshields for this pipe nor do they plan too.
Riding Hard and Riding Clean!!
ABATE of Wa.
Sagerat CVI ch. 8 83FXRS  09FLHT

partycrasher

V&H told me the black hi out put propipe would be available this week.....i call today and they say blk now available in november and chrome in december. Chrome will have heat shields.

FLTRI

IME the Thunderheader dip comes from the way the engine breathes not from the size of the engine.

This is why a stock cammed engine has virtually no Thunderheader dip yet a built engine, especially with a lot of overlap built into the cam profile, will show the dip. The more the overlap, the bigger the dip.

By strategically bending 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the internal baffle tabs a tuner can greatly reduce to dip or even eliminate it altogether...usually without any high end HP loss.

If the owner is concerned about the power above 5000 rpms and he/she will be riding their bike there regularly, there are a couple other pipes that will produce better numbers.

However, if this is a bagger to be cruised on freeways and want great acceleration between 2000-4500 rpms a Thunderheader is a great option.....if you like the sound.

If you do not like the sound then there are other pipes that can give good performance that sound much different than a T/H.

Just my experience,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

partycrasher

I ended up putting on the BOARZILLA. Fired it up today and began heat cycling. It's ALIVE!!

hardyheadscom

the TH was designed for  evo`s.years ago.. it didn`t work  real well then ...and it doesn`t work real well now..as far as i know they haven`t changed it .last time i talked to rich products they didn`t have plans for anything different..vance and hinse has two new 2/1`s.Fat Baggers has a 2/1..looks like D&D  built ta me for 699.00
hardy heads the best...boy I guess

FLTRI

Quote from: hardyheadscom on October 13, 2009, 01:53:13 PM
the TH was designed for  evo`s.years ago.. it didn`t work  real well then ...and it doesn`t work real well now..as far as i know they haven`t changed it .last time i talked to rich products they didn`t have plans for anything different..vance and hinse has two new 2/1`s.Fat Baggers has a 2/1..looks like D&D  built ta me for 699.00
We've had really good results from Thunderheaders over the years, and are always looking for a better sounding and performing pipe. We did D&D Fatcat back to back with a Thunderheader on a 103 bagger.
The D&D did indeed make more power under 2800 rpms, but because of the inherent 3500 rpm dip  :emsad:(right in the sweet-spot of torque), the TH made 12 more lbs of torque @ 3500-4000.
The TH works very well on most builds and is adjustable for low rpms with high overlap cams by tweeking the baffle inside. AFAIK there is no way to adjust the bagger Fatcat to get rid of the 3500 rpm dip?
Just my $.02,
Bob

FLTRI

Quote from: 05FLHTC on October 13, 2009, 04:41:09 PM
Have either of you had any experience on the dyno with the new Bub 7 2 in 1 bagger pipe?
Not yet....but waiting for the opportunity.  :teeth:
Bob

Rugby_fxdwg

I thought the Reinheart 2-1 pipe was for bigger motors... :sink:
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

partycrasher

o5flhtc....maybe you should start your own thread bro...and that way people will see your inquiry and respond in your thread.....

05FLHTC

October 14, 2009, 05:08:08 PM #29 Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:12:08 PM by 05FLHTC
Sorry...:dgust:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

partycrasher

October 15, 2009, 05:58:46 AM #30 Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:06:37 AM by partycrasher
05flhtc---don't misunderstand my post....if you have q.'s regarding the bub and rinehart....put up a post and people with experience with those exhausts will chime in...good luck to you

pwmorris

Quote from: partycrasher on October 13, 2009, 11:17:21 AM
I ended up putting on the BOARZILLA. Fired it up today and began heat cycling. It's ALIVE!!
Good call-

partycrasher

pwmorris---It took a little massaging to get the pipe on but i believe it will be the best performer overall. Time will tell.

partycrasher

350 miles on new motor. still under break-in per manufacturers specs. Boarzilla---LOUD AS HELL!! ....and i am yet to ride over 3k rpm. Can't imagine what this pipe will sound like at 5000rpm. I'm thinking about earplugs.....

FLTRI

AFAIK, the only pipe that makes decent power and at the same time, tollerable sound wise, is the Supermeg.
That said, if you went for a Boarzilla peak power numbers were what you were striving for, especially above 5500 rpms.
Bob

pwmorris

Quote from: partycrasher on October 20, 2009, 05:48:04 AM
350 miles on new motor. still under break-in per manufacturers specs. Boarzilla---LOUD AS HELL!! ....and i am yet to ride over 3k rpm. Can't imagine what this pipe will sound like at 5000rpm. I'm thinking about earplugs.....
Damn right it is loud-that healthy 131 wants to breathe!...Not sure about the baffle options on that pipe, if there are any.
Usually, the quieter a pipe is, the more you are choking the motor off. Hard to find the compromise that works for everyone as every motor is different
and each person has a different tolerence for the beautiful sound of that huge motor. After all, it is a 131, a neighborhood bully, and not a 95"er', but you may end up trying 2-3 different pipes till you find your sound comfort level-and the acceptable power delivery of a quieter pipe.

ederdelyi

>>but you may end up trying 2-3 different pipes till you find your sound comfort level-and the acceptable power delivery of a quieter pipe. <<

As one who has built many exhaust systems for bikes and other vehicles I can tell you that it is a tough problem on a motorcycle. Both good power and acceptable noise levels can be achieved on ANY exhaust system ... but it may not be "eye candy" pleasing or physically practical. Noise suppression requires volume ... something that is at a premium on a motorcycle. This is a case where it's very likely "Ya can't have it all". The good news is that it is possible to achieve a decent compromise between noise level and power, but it may not be from an off the shelf product and it likely won't be "Yaffe Crack pipe pretty" :>)

partycrasher

Fltri--not sure where you come up with your theory that "peak power numbers" were what i was striving for.  I understand the dimensions and dynamic of the pipe---but with the 131 mill i do not believe it is sacrificing any TQ or HP anywhere in the band .   The TH makes good low-end grunt-but has shyt fit and finish, piss poor quality and limits top end HP....I found this out on my 124 after repeated dyno testing.
The new fatcat/boss isn't yet available. The new VH propipe isn't yet available. Same with the supermeg......Frankly--choices are VERY limited right now for the 2010 bikes with the 12mm o2. Thus--i modded a boarzilla to fit. I believe it will gove both good TQ and good HP and seems to be the right choice for a 131 mill. As to seeking peak HP numbers.....not my concern.
Hope this clarifies.

By the way--the noise doesn't bother me....and the quiet baffle seems to cut  the high-tones out....nonetheless---she barks for sure. CAn't wait to finish this break-in stuff.

pwmorris

Quote from: partycrasher on October 20, 2009, 01:09:52 PM
By the way--the noise doesn't bother me....and the quiet baffle seems to cut  the high-tones out....nonetheless---she barks for sure. CAn't wait to finish this break-in stuff.
No doubt she barks-there is alot of "bite" to go with that bark. :wink:
You have a real bad boy motor on that dresser, not like some guys who want a loud pipe for loud noise sake on their stock bike with a cam, pipe and a couple add ons. When that thing rolls up to a crowd, it means business, and the exhaust note should reflect that as part of the whole package and also be a reminder of what lurks inside.
I too have tested alot of pipes on my old 124" and based on the dimensions of the pipe you are currently running with the 131",
the way your motor is set up, it should give you consistent power delivery across the board.

FLTRI

partycrasher,
Sorry I got involved. Just tried to answer your original post with useful info. Guess I don't know what you were looking for as info.
You have a good pipe there and will provide plenty power for you 131 mill.
Wear ear plugs to save your hearing and don't expect anyone to ride along side you....unless of course they have a louder pipe. LOL!
Regards,
Bob

partycrasher

bob--no problems partner....just wasn't sure where you were going with the peak HP stuff....as  i have no need or desire  to chase numbers. Perhaps i misunderstood your intent. All  is good and i appreciate your input. I was this close to putting on the TH but when i called rich products....even they told me it was too small of a pipe for the bike. So--i unded up at d&d.

pwmorris--we are on the same page! i just completed the 500 mile break-in this afternoon. That requirement that you keep it below 55 mph and no rpm over 3000, takes some time to complete the 500 miles. All back roads and lots of going through the gears. But it has had a nice easy break-in and i will soon try to get a dyno tune scheduled to smooth it out. Probably want to get a few hundred more on it before we go WOT....but i am happy with the way she ran during break-in. Nice easy running motor...little to no vibration at this point, and certainly none in the low rpm range.

thanks again for everyone's input. it is greatly appreciated.

ederdelyi

Power production aside, the exhaust note/noise level is a highly subjective topic :>)

I've always been an advocate of stealth/sleeper/quiet power. Everyone has their reasons for what they do and like ... not all of it is necessarily considered "politically correct" or "socially acceptable". I love the sound of a hipo motor running full song with an open exhaust ... in the proper place. My ears and the constant ringing in them are proof of that. Not everyone appreciates that sound, and that is their right. All I was saying is that it is possible to produce decent power on the street without race level exhaust noise. We used to run collector plates on our street racers. Cap 'em up for cruising the "main" or "strip", uncap 'em and let it all out when you went racing. It usually only meant 15 -25 more HP, but in a race that matters. On a bike the loss from wide open to muffled is usually less if you have done your homework and due diligence. Advertise what you got if you wish, just remember that the folks who don't appreciate your handiwork will continue to push for regulations that won't allow you to continue to do so for much longer.

pwmorris

Quote from: ederdelyi on October 20, 2009, 03:18:56 PM
Power production aside, the exhaust note/noise level is a highly subjective topic :>)

I've always been an advocate of stealth/sleeper/quiet power. Everyone has their reasons for what they do and like ... not all of it is necessarily considered "politically correct" or "socially acceptable". I love the sound of a hipo motor running full song with an open exhaust ... in the proper place. My ears and the constant ringing in them are proof of that. Not everyone appreciates that sound, and that is their right. All I was saying is that it is possible to produce decent power on the street without race level exhaust noise. We used to run collector plates on our street racers. Cap 'em up for cruising the "main" or "strip", uncap 'em and let it all out when you went racing. It usually only meant 15 -25 more HP, but in a race that matters. On a bike the loss from wide open to muffled is usually less if you have done your homework and due diligence. Advertise what you got if you wish, just remember that the folks who don't appreciate your handiwork will continue to push for regulations that won't allow you to continue to do so for much longer.
Local laws/police/neighbors are becoming less and less tolerant of HD's gunning their motors and revving at every chance they get. Sport bikes are a real problem as well here in Los Angeles. I run a healthy baffle that really takes the sting out of the sound of my FXR-then I uncork it when I take it to the track which gives me the best of both worlds.

partycrasher

I have always ridden in a manner that is respectful of my surroundings, especially in town. No need to jack the throttle to make noise unnecessarily. Even with a loud pipe--the bike can be ridden in a manner that will not offend others.....or make the rider hard-of-hearing. But i will caution my ridding buds not to be on my exhaust side when i go WOT.... :smile:

ederdelyi

October 25, 2009, 08:05:00 AM #44 Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:21:04 AM by ederdelyi
>>I have always ridden in a manner that is respectful of my surroundings, especially in town. No need to jack the throttle to make noise unnecessarily. Even with a loud pipe--the bike can be ridden in a manner that will not offend others.....or make the rider hard-of-hearing.<<

I understand what you are saying ... and I commend you for trying to act responsibly. The problem is that there are too many folks who do not act as you, myself, and a few others do. Those other folks have managed to catch the attention of the masses and they don't appreciate the noise that they have to put up with. So, even though we try to be respectful and act responsibly, because our vehicle is not "whisper quiet" we get lumped into the same "trouble maker" pile as the rest. It's not fair, but life is not fair and we have to bear the fruit of our inability to police ourselves. It's not like the warnings have not been out there for some time. John Q Public will tolerate quite a bit if ya don't "stick their nose in it", but get in their face too often and it's a sure bet that there will be a new covenant, regulation or law to deal with and bitch about. The system may be screwed up, but we have to learn how to play by the rules and make them work for us 'cuz that's what we have to deal with.

FLTRI

Quote from: ederdelyi on October 25, 2009, 08:05:00 AM
......Those other folks have managed to catch the attention of the masses and they don't appreciate the noise that they have to put up with. So, even though we try to be respectful and act responsibly, because our vehicle is not "whisper quiet" we get lumped into the same "trouble maker" pile as the rest..... It's not like the warnings have not been out there for some time. John Q Public will tolerate quite a bit if ya don't "stick their nose in it", but get in their face too often and it's a sure bet that there will be a new covenant, regulation or law to deal with and bitch about. The system may be screwed up, but we have to learn how to play by the rules and make them work for us 'cuz that's what we have to deal with.

Well put. I have been stating these points for years. Just waiting for existing laws since, IIRC 1978, laws to get enforced. :emsad:
We can thank the owners of loud pipes that think the more noise they make the "safer" they are and/or more power they have...or think the engine will "load up" if the engine isn't continually revved @ every light.

IMO we can expect relatively soon, as a minimum, a sound meter that has been developed (inexpensively I may add) in every cop's arsenal that takes just a minute to test the exhaust noise level, determine legality, and write a ticket.
I know CA is prime for the enforcement......quick $$$$ for the coffers. :idea: :crook:
Anyway just my $.02,
Bob

se

They did it in New Hope PA the last time i was there. Cant blame law enforcement they are only doing their job. Here in Jersey its only a matter of time.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

noliners

Huh? what did you say?    I got a Boarzilla and bad hearing now.  Already wear a Full face helmet, still too loud.. Supertrapp may be in my future.  :crook:

FLTRI

I don't understand riders who wear ear plugs because they don't want to hurt/ruin their hearing.
Their bike is so loud they're ears ring for hours after riding for hours without protecting their ears with plugs.
No one will ride on the exhaust outlet side of their bike.
These riders I guess figure if it bothers others, especially non-riders, they too can get and wear ear plugs. :embarrassed:
Just my $.02,
Bob

partycrasher

bob---the ear plugs also protect against wind damage to the inner ear........not just sound from the pipe. I thought you were a thunder-header fan.....are you saying that it is a quiet pipe? I post an article for your review:

Hearing Loss
Your helmet is inadequate defense

By: James R. Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A recent survey on my system has revealed that the vast majority of visitors here engage in touring activities with their bikes (based on the sample that responded.)

I thought it would be appropriate, therefore, to post an article on a threat that is largely restricted to those of us that ride our bikes over long distances and over the years. That threat is to the loss of your ability to hear. As you read further you will find that it has already happened to you, it will get worse, and that your helmet is an inadequate defense against it.

I know, you're thinking that I am about to rag on the Harley-Davidson sound. Wrong. While it's true that loud pipes will result in faster and more profound hearing damage, it's not the motorcycle sounds that are the principal cause of that damage. Indeed, even if your motorcycle makes no sound whatever, long distant, long duration motorcycle riding damages your hearing.

It turns out that wind noise does the most damage to your hearing. It is constant, loud, and very difficult to get away from.

At highway speeds you will find that wind noise is well over 100 db, even when wearing a helmet! Wearing a helmet cuts the noise by only about 3 db, and then only if it is at least a 3/4 shell and properly fitted. (An improperly fitted helmet actually INCREASES wind noise!!!) ONE HOURS of exposure to 110 db will damage your hearing. At 115 db it takes only 15 MINUTES. The damage is relentless, irreversible, and cumulative.

Following is a chart demonstrating wind noise at 30 MPH and 60 MPH within various brands of helmets as published in a 1991 issue of Motorcycle Magazine.

What can be done about this? How can we protect our hearing from wind noise?

Well, first, you can make sure that you wear a helmet, that it is at least a 3/4 shell, and that it fits properly. A properly fitted helmet has a lining that presses against the skin on your cheeks as well as across your forehead. Not only does your helmet not shift around on your head when it fits properly, but it cuts wind noise from reaching your ears.

Second, you can wear earplugs. There are some problems associated with doing this, not withstanding the fact that in some states it is illegal to do so. (You can legally drive a motorcycle if you are deaf, but not wear earplugs - fancy that.) Aside from the law, many people simply cannot stand (or get used to) wearing them. And, if they are improperly inserted, provide very little noise reduction benefit and will hurt in no time at all.

Earplugs are cheap. You can buy good quality earplugs by the dozens and their cost will be less than $1 a pair when you do so. (I cannot imagine buying one pair and reusing them day after day - what a foolish way to save a penny.) If earplugs are not for you, then try small pieces of cotton. They are more comfortable, though not nearly as effective, and I'll guarantee you don't reuse them just to save a penny or two.

Wearing earplugs of any kind, it seems to me, is counter-productive at speeds below about 40 MPH. But if you ride our highways for any distance at all you will CERTAINLY be better off having worn them (and, by the way, you will actually be able to hear better with them in your ear than not at those speeds.)

Just because your hearing is already a 'little' damaged from wind noise you should not think it can't get worse. Riding a motorcycle at highway speeds is a GUARANTEED way to damage your hearing - and potentially profoundly. The majority of our hearing needs involves frequencies below 16 KHz. These sounds are what we use when we talk (and listen.) These also happen to be the frequencies most affected by wind noise hearing damage.

Or, if you prefer to ignore this bit of advice, practice saying 'Huh?' But don't get used to doing that - expecting this minor inconvenience to work forever. Your hearing will get wor e.

For perspective, a noisy restaurant produces about 80 db of noise. A subway produces about 90 db of noise. A rock band generates about 110 db, a car horn is about 115 db, a gunshot is about 140 db.

Osha says that hearing loss can begin at 90 db. Max safe exposure at 110 db is 1 hour, and only 15 minutes to sounds in excess of 115 db.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(James R. Davis is a recognized expert witness in the fields of Motorcycle Safety/Dynamics.)

Bigs

Talking about noise, I've been riding my '05 1200C Sportster with a stage II since my RG is in the shop. It had a D&D Fat Cat with quiet baffle which was loud. Changed to the Thunder Header which was a little quieter than the D&D but still loud. Finally went to the stock exhaust with the Screamin' Eagle mufflers. Seemed like a little better low and mid range but the main thing for me was the sound- a lot quieter than the other two exhausts. Maybe not as much power but a lot more enjoyable to me for a 200 mile ride. I guess I'm just getting to old. Also I'm putting the SE Touring EPA rated 80db mufflers back on my RG when it gets converted to 95".
   Bigs

FLTRI

Quote from: partycrasher on October 26, 2009, 06:27:14 AM
bob---the ear plugs also protect against wind damage to the inner ear........not just sound from the pipe.
QuoteI thought you were a thunder-header fan.....are you saying that it is a quiet pipe?
If I were looking for a loud, but great sounding and performing pipe for my bike, it would be a Thunderheader, hands down the "Bad-Ass" winner IMO.
As a matter of fact out of my 5 HDs not 1 has a T/H....too loud.
Maybe for the race track, but not for the street....too loud.

As far as wearing ear plugs for wind noise, not a bad idea, but I was referring to those who protect their ears but no one else's...like people taking a leisurely walk down the street or the neighbors having guests over for a BBQ in their back yard when a group of D&D, LSR, T/H, R/R, RH, etc equipped bikes rapping their throttles to hear who's the baddest/loudest sounding bike in the group.

Or the throttle junkie @ the light who thinks it's cool to see if the folks in the cage next to him notices his "big inch, bad-ass, high compression, long overlap cammed" engine.
Nothing negative about wearing ear plugs for protection......as long as the protection is from wind noise, not obnoxious racket caused by open exhaust, then it's not for wind noise, which no one has to endure but the rider, it's from what the rider is sharing with everyone within a 1/4-1/2 mile.

Anyway just a hot button with me because I know where this noise abatement will likely end.......stock mufflers or huge fine? electric bikes? :down: :down:
Bob

partycrasher

Bob--Lets switch subjects if we can....please tell me---as a professional tuner, do you think that the thunderheader can perform as well as the boarzilla on this 131 build....or better? please tell me what you think are the strength's and weaknesses of both pipes.

Let me add--the 131 from JIMs has the SE 264 cam...and the motor has probably 1 point less compression then ideal. This means---it is "softer" in the low rpm....but above 3500 pulls pretty hard to red line. Not ideal in my opinion for a bagger. The boarzila is a big free flowing pipe....and i dont think it helps the low end TQ very much considering the installed cam choice. So i ask--would a change to the TH produce better low end grunt--and--still allow the motor to pump out some good HP?  Preliminary tuning  indicates it's looking at 135TQ and 130HP. I think with a performance tune the bike will pull 140TQ and 135--140HP in its current configuration.  Again--i think the factory runs this cam to make the bike "softer" down low for better intown riding, ease on the powertrain, and warranty purposes. Just wondering what you think. Appreciate your input on this.

Dennis The Menace

Yeah, I would continue to wear my plugs even with stock pipes/muffs.  Even if the new HDs were more quiet.  Wind noise would require it.

Its not until most of it is gone before you respect and start to protect what hearing you have left.  I am doing all I can to save what I have left, which is only 30%.  And, I wouldnt wish tinnitus on anyone but criminals....its slowly driving me insane.

partycrasher, sounds like you have a cool setup on the new Jims.  Hope you sell that TC96, its a great deal for someone (see TC Swapmeet section if anyone interested).

menace

Admiral Akbar

QuoteAnd, I wouldnt wish tinnitus on anyone but criminals....its slowly driving me insane.

Aw I've had it for over 30 years.. Learn to tune it out like the wife and kids..  :wink: kids are worse.. "Dad, I hope you aren't going to be mad but... "  .. Max

partycrasher

dennisthemenace---if you know anyone looking...i am selling the 96" twin cam motor from my 2010 streetglide.