May 08, 2024, 07:53:19 PM

News:

97 FLHTCI running rich???

Started by outback2970, October 08, 2009, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outback2970

Hey...I'm over in the TC section alot, but found a need to slip over here for a quick question. My Dad has a 97 eglide with fuel injection. Lately it has started to foul plugs and stumble on acceleration while dumping lots of black smoke out the porkers. My bike is carbed, and I have no idea where to start with Dads, besides checking air filter (which is fine) and swapping plugs (which we did). Did a ccp test for fun while we were at it and got 161 front and 170 rear. He was told when he bought it there was a stage 2 se kit installed???? Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction, or next step? Thanks.

omega1

I would check/replace the following in this order and re-test after each:

Disconnect battery for 5 minutes to re-set FI and test if problem goes away.
If still the same:
Ensure air filter is clean.
Wiggle check the throttle position sensor. If loose (or has been recently fiddled with) then re-set it following the manual's procedure and setting and re-set cold idle else leave well alone.
If bike has 50 000 miles or more, replace engine temperature sensor.
Check fuel filter and fuel pressure.
Check if injector/s is/are leaking.

Service manual has all info required to perform the above.

outback2970

Perfect...Thanks. He has a service manual, so I'll start this weekend and let you know.

smittyon66

Omega gave you good info, but I would also check for a fault codes in the computer before I did anything else. The proceedure to retrieve the codes is in the manual, and it works by flashing the check engine light.

Engine temp sensors are a common problem and I've had them act up a while without causing a code until they fail completely.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

1997bagger

Yes sir, engine temperature sensor
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?