May 09, 2024, 03:25:59 PM

News:

Trans Leak

Started by hotroadking, October 05, 2009, 08:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroadking

Friend found a nice puddle under his bike. 

Gear Oil
Trans mainshaft seals are leaking.

Pulled the primary covers off, mainshaft has a bit of wobble
it's not bent, it just can be wiggled by hand.

Thinking trap door bearing, maybe cage bearings...

This was just replaced by dealer a year ago...

We call this bike Valdez...

Gheez...

Dan89flstc

Worn out trap door bearings won`t cause a wobble in the mainshaft, they will allow excess end play(assuming you are seeing the wobble at the left side of the mainshaft).

Worn out/shifted needle bearings in the main drive gear could allow the mainshaft to wobble. No way to inspect the needle bearings in the drive gear without removing the gearset... :crook:

Was the pulley nut tight?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

hotroadking

Dan,

Pulled the gearset last night, the inner needle bearing in the main gear was toast, the end came off and then the needles fell out as I removed the gearset.

The other bearing wasn't damaged per se, however I'm sure it needs to be taken out.

the question is do we reuse the mainshaft, (no nicks or marks) and simply replace the bearings in the main gear or should we replace both main gear and main shaft.

Dan89flstc

Looks like you caught the problem in the nick of time. I would re use the mainshaft if there is no visible damage. Look over the main drive gear carefully for wear and damage.

You should replace the big ball bearing that supports the main drive gear, because the process of removing the main drive gear cross loads the bearing.

While you have the gearsets out, go ahead and pull the shifter shaft, and replace the springs on the shift pawl. Also inspect the splines on the shifter shaft for any wear.

Tell your friend to play the lottery this week, his luck is running good... :smiled:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

hotroadking

Yeah the shifter shaft looks good
Not going to pull the main gear, if I can install the new cage bearings without doing that I will,

that big ol bearing is a PIA...

Right now I have the gearset out and have a tool on the way to get the pulley off to pull the main seal and quad seal but I think it was leaking only out of the main seal as the shaft wobbled a bit when the support bearings took a dump

JMO but I have to get the pulley off

Yeah he needs a lottery win, but I want half for putting this thing together LOL

hotroadking

Well main gear looks fubar'd the old bearing flattened and welded the material so unless
he can find a machine shop it's going to be a while as the gear and mainshaft are/have been
on BO for ever.

What a PIA....

On figgin bearing...

les

That's pretty amazing that the mainshaft didn't get a trench dug through the case hardening.  I just had this same thing happen and it ate an inch long depression in my mainshaft, which of course I had to replace.

hotroadking

well it did have a tiny bit of pitting but that can be polished out.

Doesn't matter it's under 2 years old
Ultima is going to replace the whole trans...

Not bad, just got to pay shipping back to Ultima...