April 16, 2024, 01:19:59 PM

News:

1981 shovel charging ?

Started by specialx1, November 03, 2008, 12:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

specialx1

voltage regulator started smoking, so replaced it , still not charging, stator shows it open, need good way to check stator ?help
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Lew

Check the stator with a volt meter set for AC volts.  Run motor to about 3000rpm.  Stotor should be putting out at least 60 volts.  If not it's toasted.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Lew

stotor?  It's stator Lew....spell check Lew
:-[

dave_9113

Put your meter on ohms and check from one of the pins on the stator (engine side of the plug) to a good ground….should be no continuity on either pin to ground. Check pin to pin and you can get a reading of .2 to .4 ohms. If you have continuity from pin to ground your stator is grounded and needs to be replaced. If you have "infinity" from pin to pin your stator is opened and needs to be replaced.  Put multimeter on A/C and you should be getting 19-26 volts per 1000 rpm.  Make sure you have a good battery too. 

That's how I do it. 

dave

76shuvlinoff

Lew
there's also a "modify" button here, you can go back an fix it all quiet like. All anybody knows is the post has been edited, not what was edited.

;)
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Lew

Ah Ha...thanks Mark.  I'm glad to know that.  Between being half blind and not being able to spell...I'll be utilizing that feature a lot. 
Lew 

76shuvlinoff

s'ok Lew, we all got limitations...
personally I can't sing, can't dance and I'm too fat to fly.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

V24me

Make sure stator plug isn't loose.  Mine used to come loose often
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

BikerJim44

Yep, check the Stator just as Dave said and that will tell the story. Also you can get the clips that go into the case bolt just above the Stator plug and it will go up against the outside of the plug and hold the plug in place so it doesn't vibrate out of the socket. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.