April 24, 2024, 02:06:51 AM

News:

Show those Shovels!

Started by 76shuvlinoff, November 01, 2008, 07:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Thanks. Bike has 21K on it. Original owner took good care of it with regular maintenance using good lubricants. I have the receipt for that 2-1, it was installed back in 98. The color is emerald green and I'd like to remove the pinstriping if I can do it without harming the paint. Any ideas?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hossamania

Depends on how well it was put on. Might want to talk to a custom paint shop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

Red you might try Lacquer Thinner or talk to a local paint shop see  what the recommend nowadays. Beautiful Bike, I had a Black 81 Man I wish I still had that Bike. I'm standing in line on this one :SM:

Reddog74usa

I have a bud that said he used lacquer thinner and it worked great so I may have to try it on a hidden area to see how it effects the paint. The pinstripe is definitely on top of the clear.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

thumpr54

I just looked thru this thread....I had thought I had posted a pix way back of my 1980 Shovel ...but... :scratch: ...maybe not....    ...It's a 'my brother's bike story'. The last time I was riding it much , I had changed the rear fender and envisioned it as similar to JW's only in candy black cherryish....still got the 2" drag pipes for it...;-)
rode it a bunch of miles...many Sturgis'...and 2 5k trips on a Gary Bang king queen seat. ...'course I was a younger man in those days...    I'll be looking for some pix of that and Decoster to post....
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

guppymech

Quote from: Reddog74usa on December 17, 2020, 08:14:29 AM
I have a bud that said he used lacquer thinner and it worked great so I may have to try it on a hidden area to see how it effects the paint. The pinstripe is definitely on top of the clear.
What about wet sanding using a hard block and maybe some tape close to the pinstripes to protect the clear.  Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish works good to bring it to a shine.  I did some re-touch on a BMW tank that worked out pretty good.  ymmv.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

72fl

Another thing to try is a pressure washer, Red the thing is depending how long it has been on there the stripes may come off but the paint will more than likely have a lasting shadow, you might really think about taking it to a Paint Shop Body Shop and have them Polish/Buff them and be done with it in one process.

kd

I haven't used any but I see decal remover is available.  I have also read WD is effective at dissolving or softening the glue in decals. WD doesn't seem to effect paint and is easy to remove after.
KD

Bozz

January 21, 2021, 03:20:11 PM #333 Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:10:08 PM by Bozz
My 67
Bozz 1967 FLH 1976 FLH
HTT Member since 12/2001

Hossamania

Nice! Needs a fender...   :wink:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Bozz

I put the old fender back on. It's white with American flag decals.
I need to do a paint job and put the original fender back on.
Bozz 1967 FLH 1976 FLH
HTT Member since 12/2001

JW113

Ditto, fender. Paint. Hell buy a couple rattle cans of Rustoleum satin black. Done! Like this:

[attach=0]

Have to say (probably get shot), but I just love the look of the gene shovelhead motor. My fave.

Very nice, Bozz!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Bozz

Thanks Partner. The black part is rattle can. The OEM front fender is bare metal. I need to get off my old lazy ass and get out there and just do it. Take care
Bozz 1967 FLH 1976 FLH
HTT Member since 12/2001

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on January 24, 2021, 04:09:30 PM
Ditto, fender. Paint. Hell buy a couple rattle cans of Rustoleum satin black. Done! Like this:

[attach=0,msg1375807]

Have to say (probably get shot), but I just love the look of the gene shovelhead motor. My fave.

Very nice, Bozz!

-JW

JW. I've done a few parts with Rustoleum satin black. I like it so much more than seeing flat paint. Did you clear or wet sand afterward? I don't do bodywork or real paint so my process is all shade tree.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Same here, Rustoleum satin black. And I agree, to my eye it looks "blacker" than flat black. No wet sand or any other post paint work. And if I do say so myself, I'm pretty handy with a rattle can. I can get that last coat on nice and wet without runs, so there is hardly any orange peel or overspray. At that time, I was putting a LOT of annual miles on that bike, road trips all over the country along with daily commute bike. So at the of the year, the paint would have it's share of patina, especially on the front surfaces. So I'd pull the metal, sand a bit to smooth the smashed bugs & such down, and shoot another couple coats out in the back yard. All set for the next season!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

Yeah, that's the trick with rattle can painting.  The fast dry / set means overspray leaves a fuzzy finish where it lands.  You have to organize your start point so there is no back spray.  A fan on low can help.  And if you work outdoors and a mosuito lands in it, resist the temptation to try to get it out while it is wet.   :crook: 
KD

Nags70

My 75 FLH that my dad built in the early '90's. He passed in 96 and the bike was sold. I was able to track it down last year and buy it back. Been restoring/rebuilding it over the winter. Finally fired it up for the first time a couple weeks ago! Getting very close to a shakedown ride when the tins get back from paint!

[attach=0,msg1383917]

Nags70

Nags70

The day I brought it home!

[attach=0,msg1383920] 

Pete_Vit

:up: very cool you could find your Dad's bike and get it back, best of luck on the rebuild, nice looking bike
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

jls 64

js

76shuvlinoff

It doesn't get better than riding a family heirloom  :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Nags70

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on April 22, 2021, 01:39:21 PM
It doesn't get better than riding a family heirloom  :up:

Doesn't get any better, that's for sure! I wish I could post the video of me starting it for the first time....that's what pure joy/happiness and sadness look like all at once. The first ride with my hands on the handlebars instead of his and me being on the bike without him is gonna be extremely bittersweet and emotional!

cbumdumb

I went to my Local HD dealership Tuesday. I felt like I was back in the AMF days . They had very few new bikes basically an empty show room.