May 10, 2024, 06:14:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Tension Block

Started by badbonz, October 26, 2009, 06:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badbonz

Primary chain keeps tearing up tension block . Changed 4 blocks & one chain within ten months. Its an 82 shovel
with original primary sprockets. Do I need new sprockets or what should I check for to correct problem? Thx

NormL

plenty of chain oil?

where are you getting these teflon shoes?  I bought some shtt ones after market a long while back.  Now I just buy oem teflon shoes.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

76shuvlinoff

are you running 3/4" to 7/8" slop cold?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

otis

October 26, 2009, 08:31:39 PM #3 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:35:41 PM by otis
You need a new chain.  There are two types of primary chains; one with rounded ends and a dip in the middle and one that is squarer and has no dip.  

This is kind of hard to explain.  Imagine a bicycle chain.  Each link has rounded ends with a severe dip in the middle.  This variation along the outside edge eats adjustment blocks.

Now a chain made for use with block is flat between the pins with simple radius'ed corners.

Good Luck,
Patrick

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Older-twin

I ate a shoe once when the oil was too low.  Stretched the chain to its max adjustment and really gummed it up in there, all in one 300 mile ride!  I cleaned the melted shoe off the chain and took some 400 grit wet/dry paper to polish it up where it drags the shoe and haven't had any problems since (with a good amount of oil being slung around in there).