Need help with domestic content argument on HD Big Twin

Started by hellbilly, November 23, 2008, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellbilly

Hello, i got into a spirited debate with a guy in his 60's who remembers riding panheads and knuckleheads when he was a young'un but had to give up motorcycles on the orders of his new wife over 40 years ago. Anyway he's lecturing me that he knows for a fact that all the major components of my 05 softail Harley with fuel injection are Japanese :dgust:. I told him I think he's mistaken. He tells me "No, your'e the one who is mistaken". Now I'm curious because I know Harley telescopic forks had been Jap at one time and at one time carbureters too. My bike is a springer with Delphi  fuel inject, so heres the question...anybody care to weigh in on the is cause I'd love to go into work tomorrow and tell him how misinformed he is. I've always believed domestic content on the big twins was high

Mike52

Quote from: hellbilly on November 23, 2008, 02:14:42 PMHello, i got into a spirited debate with a guy in his 60's who remembers riding panheads and knuckleheads when he was a young'un but had to give up motorcycles on the orders of his new wife over 40 years ago.
:hyst:

It's not worth it to argue with the old-timer, he is probably too set in his ways to believe you anyway, besides, he takes orders from the wife and has no authority at home so he's trying to exercise it at work. He has no balls at home, let him think he has some at work, this is one argument that's not worth trying to win. JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Willie D

You loose on this one, He's correct. they are having more stuff shipped in than I can list. :horse:
Look at the Showa shocks, jst for startes.........wiring etc.

You get the picture. :emsad:
'All gave some, Some gave All"

se

yep go to work tomorrow and apologize to the old guy.
there are probley more parts on a harley foreign then domestic.
and having a springer does not mean nothing where do you think that front end came from... milwaukee?????
it came from the lowest bidder. probley in mexico.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

GoFast.....

Quote from: hellbilly on November 23, 2008, 02:14:42 PM
Hello, i got into a spirited debate with a guy in his 60's who remembers riding panheads and knuckleheads when he was a young'un but had to give up motorcycles on the orders of his new wife over 40 years ago. Anyway he's lecturing me that he knows for a fact that all the major components of my 05 softail Harley with fuel injection are Japanese :dgust:. I told him I think he's mistaken. He tells me "No, your'e the one who is mistaken". Now I'm curious because I know Harley telescopic forks had been Jap at one time and at one time carbureters too. My bike is a springer with Delphi  fuel inject, so heres the question...anybody care to weigh in on the is cause I'd love to go into work tomorrow and tell him how misinformed he is. I've always believed domestic content on the big twins was high
It's hard to swollow is't it when you think the great American Harley has so many foreign parts on it :cry:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Admiral Akbar

Tell him he's wrong, most of the parts are made in China...by Japanese companies..   :wink:  Max

wfolarry

I agree with Mike. Not worth arguing with a guy that hasn't had a bike in 40 years.

FLTRI

Well, does anyone "know" what the domestic content is or is this WAG BSing?
Besides suspension and carbs (no longer used), what else can we add up?
Tires, but that's because the american mfgs do not make motorcycle tires....worth a sh#!.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

86fxwg

Delphi is a subsidary of G.M.witch is made in canada or mexico.Not even the injectors are made hear.Starter,japan.wheels japan,Hell even the connecters are bosch.Hell the steal for the frame probobly came from japan.Hell no wonder the economy is the way it is.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

80_80

Wheels are from AUSTRALIA, or at least all the mags are.
80-80

Dennis The Menace

I would have asked to name all the parts and where they are made, what factory, how many produced per shift, how many days per week production runs, how long they take to change production for new modesl, etc.  Sit back and have a beer and listen to the BS.

He said he knew for a fact, so he must have ALL the facts, right?  ;-)   Rather than argue with people who think they know it all, I encourage them to tell all they know.  It entertains me.

Not saying the old man was wrong...just sayng if he is so adamant to be right, then let him go on and on to prove it.  Maybe its my sick mind.

Menace

nc-renegade

Heck, who cares...I'd just tell him at least you ride and NO one tells you differently, unlike him.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Faast Ed

It's not worth it to argue with the old-timer, he is probably too set in his ways to believe you anyway,.....

Ditto that.  He won't believe anything you tell him.  Let him have his fun, he likely ain't got nothing else to do for fun.
≡Faast Ed>

PanHeadRed

GoFast.....

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on November 24, 2008, 04:56:57 AM
I would have asked to name all the parts and where they are made, what factory, how many produced per shift, how many days per week production runs, how long they take to change production for new modesl, etc.  Sit back and have a beer and listen to the BS.

He said he knew for a fact, so he must have ALL the facts, right?  ;-)   Rather than argue with people who think they know it all, I encourage them to tell all they know.  It entertains me.

Not saying the old man was wrong...just sayng if he is so adamant to be right, then let him go on and on to prove it.  Maybe its my sick mind.

Menace
I like that kind of response
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

FL103Dave

I found http://www.bus.wisc.edu/grainger/harley-davidson/...

Tires (New York)

Wheels (Australia, China and domestically)

Pistons (Wisconsin)

Seats, Powertrain (engine and transmission) (Wisconsin)

Engine control modules (Midwest)

Shocks (Japan - assembled in Ohio, then shipped to Pennsylvania)

Wiring (North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Mexico)

Alien

I always enjoy these discussions. I buy a lot of HD parts and most of the parts I buy have made in the USA on them.

Yes the forks are SHOWA, what American company makes forks and enough of them to competetively supply HD?

Frame is USA, all the rubber mounts I've bought were USA, the final drive belt is USA.

Here is a list of a bunc`h of parts I happen to have close by..............

67465-00 right speedo housing midnight red............USA
67467-00 left speedo housing midnight red..............USA
67463-00 cover speedo/tach midnight red................USA
75071-00A sending unit............................................USA
58359-98  inner fairing trim.......................................USA
17650-02 breather kit...............................................USA
60348-65B drain plug kit...........................................USA
63731-99A black oil filter...........................................USA
16719-99B rocker cover gasket................................USA
50112-99 kickstand spring.......................................USA
50059-85A jiffystand bumper...................................USA
67445-00 bulb w/rubber boot...............................Japan

Feel free to post your part numbers also. I have a bunch more downstairs but I bet we find a lot more made in USA than some here alude to! If you want I can take some pictures of the made in USA labels to show the cranky old man??

Shadowdog

Hi Guys,

I would just look at him with very sympathetic look on my face and say: "now, now, you're right and I'm wrong" then ask him if he needs to sit for a while, be as condescending as possible and make sure that you have an audience. In short, treat him like an Alzheimer's patient.

Best to all,  :horse:  :idea:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

Shadowdog
Best to all,

Shadowdog  Smoke um till the wheels fall off!

ederdelyi

>>In short, treat him like an Alzheimer's patient.<<

Ya know, in spite of all we do to try and keep "sharp", there may come a day when all of us will be drooling in our oatmeal :>) I hope everyone ends up with a worn out chassis and a good "ECM" as opposed to the other way around.

Deye76

Quote from: ederdelyi on November 24, 2008, 09:23:23 AM
>>In short, treat him like an Alzheimer's patient.<<

Ya know, in spite of all we do to try and keep "sharp", there may come a day when all of us will be drooling in our oatmeal :>) I hope everyone ends up with a worn out chassis and a good "ECM" as opposed to the other way around.

Amen to that. My dad had Alzheimers, and everytime I forget, (more often these days) I think I'm gonna get it too. :bf:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kent1

the clutch in your bike was used by honda first then suzuki and then harley. yes the plates that fit 1998 and later bt's
fit some of the early honda in the 80's hope this help's.

FLTRI

You mean to tell me that huge, heavy clutch was used in some form of 80's metric bike? I would think the weight alone would preclude the metric mfgs from using it. :wink:
I thought the metric bikes used much smaller, lighter clutches?
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Faast Ed

I could care less where the parts were made.

Me likes the bike and nothing will change that.
≡Faast Ed>

Scramjet

November 24, 2008, 03:49:00 PM #23 Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:56:29 PM by Scramjet
I do not have all the facts but...

don't you just love it when people respond off the cuff with no facts what-so-ever.

If you don't know something don't respond with assumed (made up) facts.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

hellbilly

Thanks everybody for their input and enlightenment...Mike 05 FXSTS

Wingnut

Sour grapes for his ol lady making him give up riding.  Don't think I'd do that, even for Angela Jolie
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.