May 06, 2024, 04:41:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

need some help

Started by irishrover, September 29, 2009, 06:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishrover

have 02 RK fuel injected just made it a 95 to keep it short heres the problem i'm using a power commander from fuelmoto i have the bike all together plug in the commander turn on the bike everything is normal i here the fuel pump all the lights are on the dash lights come on and go out like normal then i hit the start button at first it turns right over about five or six times and almost starts one little pop like a cylinder just fired i let off the starter just to let it cool down for a minute i'm sure at this point it's going to start on the 2nd try it sounded that good so i turned all back on again all came up normal hit the starter it made mabey one revolution and i heard a loud snap and all the electric stopped like you unhooked  the battery i unplugged the commander  tried it that way nothing checked the battery 13 volts turned it on again dash lights barely come on and faded right out waited about 10 min turned it on without commander all was normal lights fuel pump dash lights hit the starter samething loud snap/click and nothing all fuses good could it be the starter relay?
for those that want to know 06 heads cleaned up and polished cut to 83cc se flatops 30 cometic 204 cams kept stock headpipes with crossover bub slipons se breather this is my third bike i made a 95 but its first problem the other two are still running great thanks for any and all help

springer-

September 29, 2009, 06:19:22 PM #1 Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:41:18 PM by springer-
It's been a long day .. I should have read it closer.

I would look for a loose wire suggested below.  Check the ground strap under the bike, make sure it's tight and clean.  The "snap" could be either arcing on a loose wire or something shorting out.  Make sure none of the battery terminals or wires are in close proximity to ground.  It may not short just sitting there but when the bike is turned over the engine shakes and could be shorting something out.

Mix01FLHT

Sounds like a bad connection.  Check both your starter and the gound cable.

Mix
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

wurk_truk

Sounds like Mix hit the nail on the head.  Take all the electrical apart on starter and battery.  wire brush em and put it back together.
Oh No!

irishrover

i was thinking it could be that simple do 02 roadkings have circuit breakers because that's what it sounded like when it quit a loud snap i have a service manual for a 02 dyna so its electric schematic don't help

05FLHTC

If I read this correctly this is the first time starting it after making it 95"?

If so you may want to pull them plugs & try to jack it up stick it in 4th or 5th & make sure it rolls over freely before you proceed...
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

irishrover

yea it is a fresh build and before i tried any thing i spun it over with the 5th gear method all seemed ok but your right there is a dead short smoewhere i just have to find it and hope nothing burned out thanks for the reply

05FLHTC

Quote from: irishrover on September 30, 2009, 01:56:06 PM
yea it is a fresh build and before i tried any thing i spun it over with the 5th gear method all seemed ok but your right there is a dead short smoewhere i just have to find it and hope nothing burned out thanks for the reply

Just me but with a new build I would go through the effort of assuring the motor spins freely again before I tried to crank it... :dgust:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

irishrover

and that is just what i did about an hour ago but you were 100% right the battery terminals were dirty i cleaned them up and all worked perfectly just goes to show you don't ever skip the small stuff anyway the bike runs great can't wait to get some miles on it so i can get it dialed in I hope to by you a few cold ones someday thanks again