Saddlebags for my '61 Pan...finally ON THE BIKE !! new pix added

Started by twincamzz, November 22, 2009, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Been wanting to add saddlebags to my '61 Pan, just couldn't decide on a style ( leather vs bubble bags vs fiberglass ). Finally decided on some Carroll USA made heavy duty leather studded, bolt on bags that measure 20"W x 12"H x 6"D  . They should arrive via the big brown truck in a couple days !
http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MLCCH795P&Category_Code=CarrollLeather&Product_Count=22

In the meantime I figured I better get busy on making some saddlebag brackets to bolt them on with as I'm not worried about making them detachable. 10 gauge ( 1/8" thick) stainless steel seemed like a natural choice & luckily for me I have access to materials & equipment at my place of work to make it all possible. This was my mission for Friday, in between jobs of course.lol. Laid out all the holes & even remembered to add an extra set of holes on the saddlebag side of bracket that would allow me to install & tighten the 5/16" s/s allen bolts that will attach the bracket & fender strut to fender. Next I broke the plates. Added some gussets along the sides of the bracket for strength & tig welded it all together. Then I lightly roughed up the surface in hopes that this will help the paint to adhere well.

Once home I bolted the brackets on to make certain my measurements from the day before had been accurate. I measured several times so I felt pretty confident that they would fit, but sh*t happens so you never know. I designed the brackets to set the saddlebags out 1 1/4" to provide plenty of clearance for the brake caliper & axle, etc.

Decided to use a textured black finish thinking that this will look good next to the leather bags, more so than a gloss finish I think. All that's left is to spray a few more coats of paint today & wait for that big brown truck to arrive Tuesday.

not all who wander are lost...

JamLazyAss

Nice job.
Be sure to post some pic's after the "brown truck" leaves so we can see how they look installed.  :up:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Pynzo

Now that's what I call heavy duty! Nice Job!

Deye76

:up:
Don't forget pics with the bags installed.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

verson22

What did you do to prep/stick the paint to the SS ? Does it not peel?

twincamzz

Quote from: verson22 on November 23, 2009, 11:49:55 AM
What did you do to prep/stick the paint to the SS ? Does it not peel?

In my original post I mentioned that I lightly roughed up the surface in hopes of helping with paint adhesion. I also gave the brackets a couple coats of primer & several coats of texture black. Not sure how well it's going to hold up to be honest about it, but all I've got invested is a couple cans of spray paint. Time will tell I suppose. Maybe get them powder coated if it doesn't work out, we'll see.

jellero

I use a good self etching primer with stainless and chrome, after sanding like you did.
Those look good though. J

twincamzz

November 24, 2009, 05:16:04 PM #7 Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:44:38 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
First off let me say that I'm very impressed with these saddlebags. Fit & finish appear to be top-notch in my book. Made in the USA too.  :up: Here's a few shots of them mounted on the bike. Don't pay any attention to the fact that my bike doesn't have any gas tanks on it right now. I pick them up from the painter tomorrow. But that's a whole 'nother story & I don't want to get sidetracked.

Here's a couple more ...

I ended up with 1/4" or better of clearance on the caliper side. No problems there.

The axle side is cutting it close. Luckily there is 3/4" of axle protruding from the axle nut. I think I'll shorten the axle up by 5/8" & that should take care of any possible clearance issues there.

She's a work in progress...one thing at a time. At least now I can now check saddlebags off the list. Just gotta shorten that axle a bit.

Timmy

Deye76

Tim, excellent job. :up: View from the rear is the best I've seen. I'm a fan of bubble bags, but you may have converted me.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Pynzo

twincamzz

Thanks for the comments guys. As a newbie to Pans I really appreciate it coming from you guys that been around these old girls awhile.  :up:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to y'all !!

04customking

Timmy, it looks great. Good fabricating job. I like the shot from the handlebars straight back. They fit real nice. :up:
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

Little Al

I only wish I had the skills and facilities for fabrication like that. Nice job!
Little Al

rbonner

Hey Timmy, what are the backs of the bags made out of?  Are they reinforced or multiple layers of leather?

If they are leather, you might want to go to some very large fender washers on the inside of the bags to distribute the load.  I've ran into this problem before with the bag deforming.

Besides that they look great...  Guys I hope you don't mind me popping in here.  I want to learn Pans and plan to add one to the collection after I finish the shovel restore.  Looks like i Have a lot to learn.  BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

twincamzz

Hey Bob, the back of the saddlebags is a multi-ply affair, with one each of plastic, pvc & leather. It all adds up to about a 3/8 " - 1/2" thick back which appears to be fairly heavy duty for a good mounting surface.
As with any leather bag I expect some deforming & if need be I will make some stiffener plates for the inside of the bags. Thanks for the comments !!
Timmy

ohio-rider

Looks good Timmy. Now remember not to use any products containing oil on them. I like to use Lexol brand cleaner and preservative. The leather of saddlebags is not the same as the leather used for belts or horse saddles so stay away from products like saddle soap or knee's oil and those bags should serve you well for along time. -Steve