May 10, 2024, 12:26:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1974 FXE Shovel Head

Started by Reddog74usa, November 20, 2009, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hightop

Well, I can't argue with someone who owns one! I wonder about your production date, if it's early or not, Harley's been known to use up stock before changing, witness late 70's models with 1 rubber band head and 1 o-ring head.

billbuilds

I am guessng that with an A3 stamp on the steering head lock boss that atleast the frame is an early production 73. Know what you mean by the "overlap". Didn't some 78's have caged roller bearing ratchet top trannies whereas later ones had cowpies? 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

amf 71flh

The factory in York did lots of screwy things in the 70's. Alot of midyear changes. Oil pump and engine case changes in mid 73 come to mind. 1976 FX was the last year the frame came through with the mounting tabs for the dual tanks and the boss on the primary cover for the floor board. Remember how Willie G came-up with the Superglide.................

:horse:

rbonner

When we look at the 78-79 bikes you have to remember that covers basically 4 model years.  78, 78 1/2, 79E and 79L  Then 1980 only mild changes and 81 and 82 massive redesigns everywhere.  You have to be really on the ball to keep the parts straight for anything in the shovel superglide line.  Look how thick the parts book is for 71-84!?!

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Speeding Big Twin

Good photos, Bill. Thank you. I suspected the small block would be on your right-hand casting and it probably remains until the suffix changes to -73. But I notice you gave the casting number as 47681-58. Are you sure it isn’t 47651-58? The reason I ask is that I have examples of later castings with 47652-73 (right-hand side) and 47654-73 (left-hand side).

Your left casting is intriguing because it doesn’t have the small block but has a 65 suffix. But if change(s) occurred for 1965 I would expect to see said change(s) implemented on the 1969 frame I posted but the 69 frame has the small block. It also has the tab for the tin inner primary last used in 1964 but yours doesn’t. And your brake line tab is positioned higher than the 69 tab and the forward face is different. The earliest I've seen the tab as high as yours is on a 1971 model frame. The casting below is 1958â€"64 Panhead and you’ll notice the brake line tab is lower than yours but about the same height as the 69 tab:

It’s interesting your top motor mount has B3 because as I understand it, some 1973 model bikes would have been sold in the second half of 1972 so I would have expected a frame made as late as February 73 to comply with all 1973 model frame specs including -73 castings and no drum brake line tab.

I don’t think the electric start would be included in the regular catalog if classed as an accessory. The other possibility is that it was an option for 1973 but the wording in the parts descriptions and also the wording of the bottom sentence in the model and year chart I posted above makes me think the 73 FXE was indeed produced as a standard model. But I’ll keep checking for more info on that in future.     Eric

billbuilds

Eric,
     Great job on those pics. You are right, the right side casting number on my 73 FX is 47651-58. Guess it's time for some new trifocals.  :embarrassed:  The VIN number "decal" is long gone off of this frame so I have no idea of the actual production date.
     I realize we're talking FX frames here but I wanted to add this bit of info to the mix: I also have a 1973 FLH and it does have the original VIN "decal" on the right down tube. Production date shows as 12/72 even though the matching engine and frame s/n ends in H3. This frame has the exact same lower rear castings as the FX frame even though it came thru from the factory with the boxed swingarm and banana caliper. Here's a photo of the left side. Notice that the juice brake line tab appears to be in the same place as the one on the FX. The tab on the left side -58 looks like it's part of the casting whereas the -65 tab appears that it may be a seperate steel piece welding in place. Maybe that's just how I'm seeing things thru these damn specs.
     On the subject of electric start: On page 53 of the oem 71-80 FX parts catalog there is item number 33217-73 described as an Electric Start Conversion Kit. Shows as used on 73-78 FX's. Not sure when the Moco ceased production on the 73 FX's and started production on the 74 FX's but I'd have to imagine that it was late in 1973. Maybe it's a matter of semantics as to whether the electric leg was an accessory or a necessity. Bill

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Pynzo

Eric-
When you get your book printed (you are writing one I hope) I'm gonna want an autographed copy!

rbonner

Standard vehicle model release dates were in SEPTEMBER, along with the start of the new TV season...  The first midyear release was the 64 1/2 Ford mustang and the world has gone downhill on a slippery slope since...

SO anyway...  it would be standard practice to have a late 72 manufacturing date stamp for a 1973 bike.  To make things even messier my VRSCR has an early 2005 manufacturing date like 5/05 and was released as an early release 2006 model year, not a 2005 1/2.  That one was hard to get the insurance man to swallow.

BOB

Speeding Big Twin

Bill, thanks for confirming 47651-58 on your FX and I’m glad you mentioned the production date of your 73 FLH. I agree about the possibility of the brake line tab being a separate piece welded on. Pictures I have show the tab in the higher position on models as early as 1971 and I’m wondering if it first appeared in said position for 1970 models. It also appears to be angled back slightly which may give better access to the brake line when a left-hand exhaust pipe is used.

The electric start conversion kit you mentioned is in my 1971-84 FX catalog with the same part number and applications you posted. The only Harley publicity shot I’ve got for a 73 Super Glide doesn’t reveal anything conclusive about an electric starter but sometimes early H-D ads appear on eBay so I’ll keep an eye on them.

Pynzo, sometimes it feels like I’m working on three books: serial numbers and belly numbers; engine and transmission casting info; and frame ID.  :smiled:     Eric

neten-o

Quote from: Pynzo on December 01, 2009, 09:45:00 AM
Eric-
When you get your book printed (you are writing one I hope) I'm gonna want an autographed copy!
And me too ..Eric is the man ... he helped me also..Rich .. :smile:

Speeding Big Twin

Cheers, Rich. :up: Hope all is good over there.     Eric

reg_beagle

Been away for awhile, maybe I missed something, but RedDog did you go for the FXE? That's a really nice piece, would be hard to walk away from at $7, or esp. $6.5. I have an original '72 FX that's not quite as good as the one you're considering, but still stock except for pipes, with original paint, etc. What sealed the deal for me is that I got a lot of good paper with mine, original bill of deposit and bill of sale, Harley owner's card, manual, receipts from a trip to Daytona in '78, lots of interesting bits. I would suggest that you ask whoever is selling the FXE if any of this kind of paper is available, really adds to the interest value of an original bike (and eventually to the real value). Often you'll find that the type of person who keeps a bike like that in that kind of good shape for 35 years is the type of person who has probably saved all of the original receipts.
Al

Don D

That's a nice bike rick. Had a 76 Liberty, same shape just sold it a few years back. Owned it a long time but my first was an FXD belt drive.

Reddog74usa

Well, I went and did it. Yep bought the scoot today  :teeth:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbonner

There's nothing like a long winter day for buying a motorcycle, cool...