May 09, 2024, 02:18:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil coolers

Started by HotRodShovel, November 27, 2009, 10:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodShovel

Where do you mount it, on the downtubes? Can you show a photo of it please Monty. It certainly is a good price. No doubt. A pic would be great. Thank you.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

monty101

I got mine mounted vertically on the front leg above the shifter. Catches the wind real well. The two rubber pieces are rubber mounts that wrap around the front leg. The cooler has two brackets that bolt to the rubber mounts. jpcycles sells them for 227 bucks

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/search?Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Ntt=jag+oil+cooler&x=0&y=0

rbonner

Quote from: Rudy on November 30, 2009, 03:33:09 PM
Where do you mount it, on the downtubes? Can you show a photo of it please Monty. It certainly is a good price. No doubt. A pic would be great. Thank you.

Rudy, go to the gallery and look under Bob's Bikes and look at my 78 1/2 it has that cooler on it.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

monty101

the link to jpcycles shows it mounted too. It also is a link that show that diff sized rubber mounts are available for diff sized front legs for about 7 bucks. I had to get some for 1 inch tubes. I could have shimmed it but I lost one.

HotRodShovel

Yep I got it. Nice and compact and I can see how it catches the wind out there.  I picked up a Jagg spin on adapter so I can run the cooler lines direct to the filter housing without splicing into the existing oil lines.  So I'm in a toss between the horizontal Lockhart 600 and this vertical Jagg.  The 600 has a built in thermostat that I really like but I could install the Jagg bypass valve.

I do wonder though about the internal thermostat ever sticking, it would be a disaster.

John

monty101

you know i got a jagg off ebay and it came with a thermostat that mounted between it and the oil tank. I couldn't figure out how it worked and with my luck it would stick shut and I'd burn my motor up so I didn't install it....I just cover my black scooter Jagg with black duct tape in the winter and on my red shovel i cover it with red duct tape.  Works for me.....

HotRodShovel

Yeah, I like that. Fail safe.
John

rbonner

They don't stick shut, they stick BYPASSED, bypassed is just like no cooler.  I mentioned earlier, a shovel doesn't need a stat.  They run too hot anyway.  Just let it flow.  If you think it is a problem on really cold days have momma knit it a sweater and cover the cooler on cold days.  BWHAHHAAAHAHA oh that hurts.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Old Crow

I run a Lockhart verticle cooler on my '82 FLT.  The bike has factory lowers and the cooler sits right in the air flow. 
For lower temps I got a piece of black ABS and I mount it in front of the cooler with a couple of zip ties.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

HotRodShovel

Thanks  Old Crow.  I believe my options are really limited. I was hoping for something a little different, but at this point its either horizontal or vertical.  Well, I got some time to think on this one. Thanks again pal.

John

CraigArizona85248

December 01, 2009, 06:47:43 AM #36 Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:50:56 AM by CraigArizona85248
I run a power steering cooler on my panhead.  You can buy these new for about $40.  These were used long before you could buy coolers built specifically for motorcycle applications.  Very effective.

MMOCGuy

Quote from: Rudy on November 30, 2009, 01:50:02 PM
Norm,
Zoom is the retail mail order outlet for Ted's V-Twin.  They are out of CT. Darian I think.  Ted's is open to the public on a walk in basis. He is up near Newburgh, Orange County NY. Yes, next door to the OC chopper guys.  I lived up there for a while. It was VERY helpful having Ted's 10 minutes away.  I used to say that Ted ought to fly a skull & crossbones, his prices were so high but then when you need something and need it now you could walk in and have everything at your disposal.

Good 'ol Taiwan Ted.  I remember years ago Ted operated out of  an old barn. No "Potty mouth". He had a collection of Indians there that most museums do not have. You could rummage thru thousands of HD parts. Man those were the days.

Ted will only ship to dealers but Zoom handles his retail mail order.  I have ordered from Zoom and usually get stuff the next day cause NYC is so close. Gotta watch his prices though.

Unless there are two ZOOMs???

I like that cooler you showed me. I dig the built in stat.

Rudy,

I guess that there two ZOOM Cycles. I did not know that there was one in NY. I wonder if they are connected somehow??? I do know that the one in Claifornia took really good care of me and all of my bikes when I lived near them.

Thanks,
NormS.

Pynzo

Craig-
that looks like the one I picked up- all steel and shotgun proof-

HotRodShovel

Norm, I guess there are two, but then Ted's is one of the largest aftermarket dealers of HD knockoffs, if not the largest. So there is a good chance he has the west coast covered with another Zoom. That wouldn't surprise me.

Craig, Yeah man..I looked at these coolers on ebay and there is a huge variety of sizes etc. Like Pynzo says..steel and bullet proof.  I may go that way. You know figure some application that isn't quite the regular set up. As I said, I got some time before I even get close to needing it. Out in AZ it always "oil cooler" weather, right?
John

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Rudy on December 01, 2009, 10:21:51 AM
... Out in AZ it always "oil cooler" weather, right?

That's pretty much true.  I don't bother to bypass or cover the cooler in the winter.  Our coldest mornings are in the 20's and all but a few each winter are 30's or 40's.  Even when it's the coldest weather I can warm my hands on the oil tank when I get to work.

-Craig

HotRodShovel

I didn't realize it got anywhere near that cold in Arizona.  I spent some time in Red Rock near Old Tucson, south... that was years ago, 1970's. Went cross country before Uncle Sam grabbed me but never made it to my west coast destination. I ended up hanging out in Red Rock for a few months. Crazy things going on out there in the desert back then.  :wink:

I made a few trips recently out to Bisbee ,Apache Junction, Mesa, Saguaro National Park, Sedona.of course that big hole everybody talks so GRAND about. You got a beautiful state man. Those sunsets are a treat for the eyes.
John

stray

Rudy, you do know that the oil coolers we run on our Shovels do not really cool unless there is airflow.  This means that the cooler does nothing while you're sitting in traffic not moving.  Just an FYI.
Joe

billbuilds

Quote from: stray on December 02, 2009, 01:36:11 PM
Rudy, you do know that the oil coolers we run on our Shovels do not really cool unless there is airflow.  This means that the cooler does nothing while you're sitting in traffic not moving.  Just an FYI.
Joe

A very good point. Also a good reason to consider external oil drains. Perry at Flo Headworks offers some nice ones. Down side is heads need to be machined. Not too painful though. Worth checking out what he has to say about decreased oil temp. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

76shuvlinoff

then    - while you're in there - 

external drains ....might as well have a bigger bore right?     :potstir:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Yeah Joe, thats pretty much a given. The same reason cars have fans with clutches over the radiators, to kick in when no wind driven air is flowing. NYC traffic is a thing that all should experience. Being on the open road is certainly the best but getting there is half the fun. The art of splitting lanes is a something you learn to live with if you want to own and ride an air cooled machine in the city. But even 10 mph, blowing over an oil cooler, hell 5 mph,  is better than nothing. Sort of like having a fan in the garage, right?  I hear ya' though and I do appreciate you bringing that up.

External oil drains, well there is something to consider, Bill...and while I'm in there!!!!!

You know the first excuse I get to split my cases is going to result in a big bore job, no matter what is going on.  I think you already can read me Mark.
John

billbuilds

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 02, 2009, 03:53:40 PM

No need to split the cases to add external oil drains, just take off the heads. Maybe while the heads are off have them dual plugged... then go a step futher and have them ported.  :potstir:
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

HotRodShovel

December 03, 2009, 05:58:40 AM #47 Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:00:41 AM by Rudy
You guys are killing me....  :teeth:  Filling my head with great ideas.  :idea:  Speaking of great ideas, I will just tell my family that I want one collective Christmas gift. They can donate to the "Rudy's Big Bore Plus Shovel Fund", The RBBPSF will include big bore jugs, pistons and case work; dual plugged and ported heads, external oil drains, Monty's torquemonster flywheels, chrome or even better S&S rockerboxes, perhaps a mild stroke, new HB controls and a new front brake...that ought to do it, for now.  

Actually all of you are invited to contribute..  :wink:

Bill, please explain the process of building in the external oil drains.
John

stroker800

I run the "Perform" brand coolers ,,,they have a filter in them as well...Ribbed ,,aluminum,,anodized...I think they are almost a heat sink as well,,,pleased with them..BUT  I have made lots of FREE coolers,,,the tranny cooler from cars,,,they are built into the radiator ..I use a chisel and tin snips to cut out...There are many different styles,,,some finned aluminum,,brass hollow tube,,kinda cool weird stuff...I have a polish brass honey comb style,,,gotta get in mounted,,,way cool.
Dave

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: billbuilds on December 03, 2009, 03:10:00 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 02, 2009, 03:53:40 PM

No need to split the cases to add external oil drains, just take off the heads. Maybe while the heads are off have them dual plugged... then go a step futher and have them ported.  :potstir:

Yeah I know you don't NEED to split the cases but with other peoples money we're always only a few more bolts from perfection....    :wink:

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway