September 20, 2024, 04:57:26 PM

News:

High Altitude 103 Build

Started by Street Glide, November 25, 2008, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Street Glide

I am planning on upgrading my 96 to 103-- Bike is a Street Glide ,Ride solo and I am a light person.

Cam choice is Andrews 54-H, flat top pistons and .030 head gasket.

I live at 6500 ft. elevation and most riding is done between 6000 and 7500 ft. elevation.

My compression and displacement calculator shows 161 cold cranking compresion at 6500 ft. elevation.

Questions:

Will I need to increase compression to to make this cam perform well at this altitude?

How high can I safely take it up and still make the occasional trip to sea level whitout problems?

Suggestions for raising compression-eg.-domed pistons,shave heads?

Any information would be helpfull and appreciated---Street Glide

Don D

You will have the most fun with this with the compression on the high side at sea level and with a shorter cam. Here is a dyno of a 103" with a Wood TW5. In your case I would run 10/1 mild head porting, stock valves "Blueprint", and the short Wood 5. A good pipe and tune, stock TB. It won't make this much power but will have a very healthy torque curve.

http://deweysheads.com/dyno_pages/dyno3.html

GoFast.....

Quote from: Street Glide on November 25, 2008, 08:22:29 PM
I am planning on upgrading my 96 to 103-- Bike is a Street Glide ,Ride solo and I am a light person.

Cam choice is Andrews 54-H, flat top pistons and .030 head gasket.

I live at 6500 ft. elevation and most riding is done between 6000 and 7500 ft. elevation.

My compression and displacement calculator shows 161 cold cranking compresion at 6500 ft. elevation.

Questions:

Will I need to increase compression to to make this cam perform well at this altitude?

How high can I safely take it up and still make the occasional trip to sea level whitout problems?

Suggestions for raising compression-eg.-domed pistons,shave heads?

Any information would be helpfull and appreciated---Street Glide
I live at almost 6000 ft and I set my bikes at 180 to 185 ccc That would make then on the ragged side at sea level but I never go down below 3000 ft Don knows his stuff well and can help you set it up right
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

wfolarry

Mill the heads and you will have to fit the manifold. Some just need a little sanding to fit.