March 28, 2024, 02:39:49 AM

News:

I'll Start... Post a pic of your Knuck!

Started by Robin, November 26, 2008, 07:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

panz4ever

Nice looking bike Robin. See that you added an electric start. What mods did you have to do to add that?

Robin

I bought it that way, it was kind of a rolling basket case when I got it.  I believe all that is needed is a shovelhead sprocket shaft for the motor.  The primary and everything is all shovelhead, mid 60's.

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/Lee2550/

ricochet

That is real nice!  An authentic Knuckle chop.  Still The prettiest engine Harley ever made IMHO.

ricochet

knuckleheadgeorge

Frame up 46 knuckle.

Circa 1990 or so . . .

Pics taken in So Cal at  Venice Beach and Del Mar bike show.

Malamute

August 30, 2021, 03:59:30 PM #5 Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 04:03:51 PM by Malamute
 I no longer have it, but it was my all time favorite bike. A 47 FL I built from a chopper basket case in about 1980 using a 58-64 Pan swingarm frame. Complete motor rebuild, frame up paint and build, total rewire from the ground up. Some time later I switched it back to hand shift for a while, and ran an original knuckle hardtail frame a year or so. I did a lot of dirt roading in N Arizona besides much paved road roaming and many cross country trips. I went through the motor later anr built it up with S&S 80" flywheels, S grind Andrews cam, mild port, S&S Super B carb, primary belt drive, and Andrews close ration trans gears.

Fresh paint

[attach=1,msg1394080]

Some time later with a lot more miles

[attach=0,msg1394080]

fbn ent

Nice bike, nice woman and nice buck. Hit it or shot it?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

Oh the memories - nice combination.   :up: Did the same in a 65 rolling chassis (had a scattered engine) back in the 70's. Is that an S&S L series in the second pic?
KD

HogMike

Put together this Knuckle years ago road it a couple of times, broke my leg skiing, but it never ran as nice as my 56, so I sold it! Probably about 1983
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Malamute

Quote from: fbn ent on August 31, 2021, 05:43:46 AM
Nice bike, nice woman and nice buck. Hit it or shot it?

Shot the deer with a 4" S&W 44 mag, I was still in my bedroll.

The woman. Yes, she was nice. She had a pan of her own. On the trip in the picture I had her drive part of the time, we were on a cross country trip.

Quote from: kd on August 31, 2021, 06:35:09 AM
Oh the memories - nice combination.   :up: Did the same in a 65 rolling chassis (had a scattered engine) back in the 70's. Is that an S&S L series in the second pic?

Not sure what an L series is? The carb is a Super B I believe. I had a Linkert, then Bendix, then the S&S on the old knuckle. The old Super B really stuck out. When I got back into bikes and riding 2 or 3 years ago I was pleased to see that they made the Super E now, which didnt rob you of so much leg room.

I had to piece mine together from parts. The local independent shop had a semi trailer full of parts besides a garage somewhere else. He rounded up some of the major parts like the frame, some of the smaller stuff he let me sort through the trailer and find things I needed to build what I wanted. Its been somewhat of a shock to see how much prices on parts have gone up since then. I think I paid $300-ish for the frame, 5 gallon bob tanks were around $65-$75 I believe, unless ugly. The basket case knuckle chopper was $1200. The frame was of course shaved of most of the factory mounts and raked for a 12 over Indian girder front end. Parts like that were worth next to nothing at the time.

harpwrench

February 06, 2023, 02:46:45 PM #10 Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:52:49 PM by FSG
This came out of the woodwork for sale last week, last time I saw it was when I sold it to the same guy 25 years ago

You cannot see attachments on this board.