May 09, 2024, 08:37:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

uneven rear brake pad wear

Started by scoopfraser, November 24, 2008, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

Is there anyone else out there that consistently has uneven brake pad wear?  Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks!

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

Mike52

Sean, uneven brake pad wear is usually caused by the caliper pistons not retracting back into the caliper properly due to brake dust build-up. You need to clean the caliper pistons, Lyndall Racing Brakes has an excellent tutorial,  http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

scoopfraser

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for that link!  That's going to be really useful.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

tbird

Change your pad pins. Pins can develop grooves, that won't allow the pads to retrack. Their only $6 a pair, retail.

Mike52

You can also pick up some lube for those pins at an auto parts store, it's designed for brake pins.
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

scoopfraser

I figured I'd pull the pins to see what they look like and I was very surprised.  One of the pins had a notch out of it that was at least a third of the diameter of the pin!  Needless to say, I got a new set of pins and a tube of that pin lube.  I never thought those pins would wear that much.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta