May 07, 2024, 12:39:08 PM

News:

Best Motorcyle magazine and why...

Started by RKC03, November 16, 2008, 03:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrashovel

November 18, 2008, 06:27:16 PM #50 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:31:13 PM by Ultrashovel
It's hard to beat Cycle World. They have consistently good writing with Peter Egan, Kevin Cameron and Editor Edwards at the helm. They also feature frequent road test articles on Harley Davidson of various models and types.

The other one I like is MCN. I just started my subscription back up again since they are now in color. It's a rather good publication. I got it for nearly ten years until their prices got out of hand. It used to have no ads but I won't know what their format is now until I receive my first copy. Their prices are lower now than they used to be.

Motorcyclist has good writing but the format and fonts are unreadable given the color backgrounds. Also, it's 100% Sport bike. I mean 100%. Never so much as the word Harley. I used to get it but cancelled it for those reasons.

AIM has some interesting articles from time to time but as far as I'm concerned, if you've seen one chopper, you've seen them all. I can take only so many chopped, raked, bondoed, big inched, flame painted, chromed out rigid bikes with 300 rear tires and a seat bolted to the frame. I call them "pile drivers" if you catch my drift. Occasionally they have a great article on a vintage Harley or Indian but I cancelled them a year ago for the reasons noted.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

:pop:

hd06myway

I've subscribed to many over the years, from AIM, American Rider, Hot Bike, Cycle World, EasyRider.  I think the best overall is AIM, which I still get and American Rider which I get, (it's cheap for 6 issues a year).  Alot of BS on the street can be put to bed with mags that give you the straight info I like about HDs.  A good cycle mag like AIM can dispute alot of HD wives tales that have been spun over the years. From oil, performance, maintanence, MOCO fact and fiction, etc....

boooby1744

Someone should let the editor (s) that there are other companies that make parts and clothing other than H-d. oh,i forgot they have to kiss harley'sa$$ so they get the "exclusive" phot's and propagada from the moCo.

ModelABob

I haven't subscribed to a scooter magazine in many, many years. :smileo:  At one time I think I might have had a sub. to 'Big Bike', 'Street Chopper', 'Custom Cycle', 'Super Cycle', etc., etc.  Plus, when I was a member of the 'Antique Motorcycle Club of America' (AMCA) they had a pretty good club magazine always featureing old scooters.  And, yes
I use to subscribe to "Sleazy Rider" (as we called it! :smile:) and in fact still have the first and second issues. :smiled:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Rags722

Quote from: ModelABob on November 19, 2008, 10:30:57 AM
I haven't subscribed to a scooter magazine in many, many years. :smileo:  At one time I think I might have had a sub. to 'Big Bike', 'Street Chopper', 'Custom Cycle', 'Super Cycle', etc., etc.  Plus, when I was a member of the 'Antique Motorcycle Club of America' (AMCA) they had a pretty good club magazine always featureing old scooters.  And, yes
I use to subscribe to "Sleazy Rider" (as we called it! :smile:) and in fact still have the first and second issues. :smiled:

Bob, can you confirm for me that the early issues were on newspaper type paper and not normal magazine sized products?  I don't know why, but I swear I can remember them not being "normal" sized magazines.
Rags

ModelABob

Rags,

I've got the "Easy Rider" 1st & 2nd issues stored away, but I'm 99.9% sure they are of a regular magazine size and style.  However, I do seem to want to remember that they maybe did use a type of 'newspaper' or 'pulp' paper quality in some of the interior pages of each issue.  I'll have to dig them up (might take a few days) and see what I can find. :rtfb:
One thing I do remember about the early issues was the magazine motto:  "For The Swinging Biker" :embarrassed:

To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

RKC03

November 19, 2008, 04:54:32 PM #56 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:58:39 PM by RKC03
I, myself remember ther paper was not the slick, waxy looking paper used today, but as far as size I don't remember it being any different... but then again we're talking about 25-30 years.  :wink:  I know I have some early 80's and maybe some late 70's....where oh where has my a magazines gone....I know I gottem somewhere....  :crook:   But who knows where?  Can ya relate?  LOL  :dgust:
  RKC03  :smiled:
RKC03

hotbagger1

November 19, 2008, 06:00:03 PM #57 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:17:02 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield

Midnight Toker

Here is a easy piece of trivia, what was Hot Bike originally called?
Something witty placed here.

howard kelly

Quote from: Midnight Toker on November 19, 2008, 06:10:56 PM
Here is a easy piece of trivia, what was Hot Bike originally called?

Oh I will take a stab at that one....Street Chopper
Howard
can't imagine why I know that

Midnight Toker

Yes sir, Mr. Kelly, it would be shameful if you came up with the wrong answer. Lol.
And..It's the Correct answer…  :teeth:
Thanks for coming on over to the new HTT.

MT
Something witty placed here.

jaw65

Hi think the Australian "Heavy Duty" mag is by far the best all rouond Harley mag around  :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Ride hard but stay the right way up.

Guitarplayer

Quote from: hotbagger1 on November 19, 2008, 06:00:03 PM
hot bike baggers (only because my bike was in it) http://www.hotrodsbikeworks.com/features/0802_hrbp_2000_harley_davidson_street_glide/index.html

I'm with Hotbagger,  I'm an americagan bagger magazine fan cause my bike was featured in it....lol   Also hit the reader rides section of American Cruizer mag even though I don't subscribe.  But belive it or not, I find myself searching for the Thunder road mags so I can get the latest on whats going on in my area, and they are absolutly free !