May 09, 2024, 02:53:13 AM

News:

steering lock adj

Started by ridemyEVO, January 31, 2010, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridemyEVO

On a 89 flhtp I'd like to adjust the locking mechanism so it locks, right now with batwing off and I push down on the steering lock in lock position it will hold but if I don't push down it unlocks. There is a star head screw I beleive needs to be adjusted along with the lock nut, manual says there is a tool needed but I think if I just loosen off the nut and turn the star head screw the mechanism will go down deeper to lock firmly but I don't want to attempt this without feedback on which way to do this, any one with experience with this adjustment?
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

still_havinfun

i have the 89flhtcu and that is the way you lock the steering head, you push down and then turn it to the lock position on the key switch. if you do this with the bars to the extreme left it will stay in that position. if you lock it with the bars in any other position , you can move them until you turn the handlebars to the extreme left and it will lock in that position.

ridemyEVO

Quote from: still_havinfun on February 01, 2010, 06:14:32 AM
i have the 89flhtcu and that is the way you lock the steering head, you push down and then turn it to the lock position on the key switch. if you do this with the bars to the extreme left it will stay in that position. if you lock it with the bars in any other position , you can move them until you turn the handlebars to the extreme left and it will lock in that position.
When I say I push down I mean I have the locking mechanism exposed and if I push down on it after I've got steering turned to the extreme left it will lock ok and I can't turn it out of its extreme left locked position but if I don't push down where the star screw driver adjusting screw is it doen's hold its locked position. It's the adjuster I'm pushing down on which indicates its not adjuted properly.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

still_havinfun

yeah that is the adjusting screw. you are saying that the lock won't work with the key switch operation? make sure you don't have anything binding in it's current condition. that unit is mounted in position by a bracket. i have found the hard way that you can get it bolted down in a slight bind and it will not lock with the key switch. i would loosten up the bracket and play with it until you are sure it isn't binding. hope that helps.

ridemyEVO

Thanks I think I will pull the handle bars off and hang them and see if I can adjust the lock a bit.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage