May 09, 2024, 11:44:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shovel Rebuild

Started by Robertgtti, January 31, 2010, 04:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertgtti

startd to sand down the rocker boxes today..

damn thats hard work.

marks are realy deep.

:cry:
Freedom is Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose...

76shuvlinoff

On my factory mill I had to start pretty aggressive, like 60 grit in spots due to the pitting. I never got it all out but I got it pretty good by starting there and eventually working my way down to 320 then polishing rouge on buffer with a flexible cable.

If you go that route wear a mask. I had lots of black boogers for a while.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Robertgtti

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on February 03, 2010, 09:58:13 AM
On my factory mill I had to start pretty aggressive, like 60 grit in spots due to the pitting. I never got it all out but I got it pretty good by starting there and eventually working my way down to 320 then polishing rouge on buffer with a flexible cable.

If you go that route wear a mask. I had lots of black boogers for a while.

i'am on 60 grit and its stil a pain in the ass.
going real slow.

I tought aluminium was supposed to be soft.

:banghead:

billbuilds

My guess would be 1978.
     Theoreticaly you should be able to do your motor installation/alignment up in reverse since you say that you haven't moved the tranny. Once you get the four motor mount bolts back in place (initially loose) and the inner primary on I would suggest snugging up the four motor mount bolts first. There's not much wiggle in the motor once the four mount bolts are in place. You'll have a little more leverage sliding the motor/inner primary assembly into alignment with the the tranny this way and you won't risk damaging the o-ring lip on the left side case. Since the same oem mill is going in the same oem frame it should fit real nice.  Good luck, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

dablaze

Ahh now I understand!

Thanks!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

rbonner

Alright then Robert, its an 81 then eh? if we missed the with the 1980 guess...

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Robertgtti

yes,
  :up:

81 was also the first year for the electronic ignition right?

ricochet

You can make short work of getting the rockers to good base metal with a stationary belt sander but it takes a gentle hand not to go too deep.  I have best luck with a well used 220 grit.  It works the metal well without digging since the edges are worn off some.  Watch it with new belts.  Stay off the corners.  Work the large flat or curved surfaces this way and all you have left is the nooks and crannies which take enough time as it is.

ricochet

rbonner

Nerp, 80 was the first year.

country50

78 was first electronic ignition.... :beer:

rbonner

Yes you are correct on the FLH, they also got an 80 in motor too for the second time  :-)

but on the FX series it was 1980 for the ignition and 79 1/2 for the 80" motor.

They usually lead the way with innovations with the FLH.

BOB

moosemush

If I remember correctly, (my memory gets foggier every year) '78 1/2 - '79 came with that p.o.s. prestolite electronic ignition that still used the mechanical advance. They went to the full electronic with separate module in '80. Correct?

rbonner

My FXEF-80 which is a late 79 had points and a coil.  The FLH might have had something else I don't know.  But 1980 had the magnavox electronic ignition for three years and then according to the parts book, a -84 module came out that replaces all previous.  I don't know who made that.

BOB

Robertgtti

February 05, 2010, 11:15:54 AM #38 Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:16:29 PM by Robertgtti
i finished the top and outside edges of one of the covers,
for the inner part it would be handy to have them removed.

can I just unscrew the covers and screw them back on (with a new gasket) when done?

or will that require adjusting or something?
like pushrods and stuff.

and what is there to expect oilwise,
you've seen the pics, the motor is in the livingroom so i cant have a big puddle of oil dripping out.

the motor has been standing for a couple of days and before that she didnt run for a about 3 months so most of the oil should be out of boxes by now right?

HotRodShovel

You should remove the pushrods and the oil lines. It will make it much easier to re-assemble.  Oil...not too much at all if anything. Have a couple of rags handy.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

It's as good a time as any to ask. Got the service manual? 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Robertgtti

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on February 05, 2010, 12:32:14 PM
It's as good a time as any to ask. Got the service manual?

yeah but its a crap version in pdf.
somebody handscanned it so i cant search or flick through pages.

maybe one of you guys got a proper digital version?

hbkeith

seeing how the motors out of scoot,why would you not look inside motor for problems? plus so much easyer and better to refinish aluminum when off.

HotRodShovel

Someone posted this link and I have referred to it often. You will find every HD manual for every year. Its the Great Falls Librery link.  Once on click the "small engine repair reference" then it will take you to a log in page.
The username: great
password: falls

then pick "motorcycles", then Harley Davidson" then whatever make year model you want.

www.greatfallslibrary.org/database_mostused.htm
John

Robertgtti

Quote from: Rudy on February 07, 2010, 08:55:06 AM
Someone posted this link and I have referred to it often. You will find every HD manual for every year. Its the Great Falls Librery link.  Once on click the "small engine repair reference" then it will take you to a log in page.
The username: great
password: falls

then pick "motorcycles", then Harley Davidson" then whatever make year model you want.

www.greatfallslibrary.org/database_mostused.htm

thats a great link,
thank you.

but I would still like to have the manual on my computer.

76shuvlinoff

I don't mind flipping through the manual on disc but I prefer paper pages. Same with my parts catalogs. Guess I'm just bullheaded like that. 

aka; curmudgeon, recluse, isolationist......  OF.   :missed:

- Ernest Hemingway

Robertgtti

i prefer paper but those manuals cost a fortune around here,
75/80 euros so thats about a 100 dollars for a manual.

HotRodShovel

There is nothing like leafing thru a paper manual. I really don't like scrolling on the screen, however, if you don't have a manual, its a good place to get info until you go get a book.
John

rbonner

Just print the PDF pages you want.  BUt yeah its hard to work on the bike with the manual in the office.

BOB

Robertgtti

thats one of the reasons I work in the livingroom as much as I can.

until my wife gets fed up with all off the parts laying around and kicks everything to the shed.