April 30, 2024, 02:41:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'60 FLH Semi-Restore

Started by Snuff™, February 21, 2010, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuff™

Looks like its been a little slow in the Panhead Section of HTT, so I thought it would be a good time to show my progress of my Panhead.

I purchased this about 5 years ago from a friend Jerry.  He had bought it from the orig owner that he knew when he was young.  Jerry tore the bike apart about 20 yrs ago and never put it back together.  I'd been asking about the bike for a couple of years and finally he sold it to me.

I figure I'm about 90% complete.  The sheetmetal is out for painting.  I'll post some more pics as soon as I get the sheetmetal back.

So here's my progress.

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer:

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Erichill

Looking good, what color you painting her? Love the poster of the yellow bike in the background. That look and stance has always captured my attention since high school. 
First nice weekend around here all winter, Got in about 150 miles on my '48 today.

Spring is around the corner, better get that girl on the road!
Eric

Snuff™

Quote from: Erichill on February 21, 2010, 03:15:54 PM
Looking good, what color you painting her? Love the poster of the yellow bike in the background...

Thanks, Hi-Fi Red can't be found, so I'm painting her Dupont Hot Poppy Red and Cream.  The 2 tone tan bike in the poster is Buzz Walneck's bike.

Weather around here has sucked and probably will  be for another month.

twincamzz

She's lookin' mighty fine there Snuff !  :up: Be certain & post pix when you get the tins back from paint. Yep, pretty slow in the Pan section lately. Maybe because we've all been busy working on our scoots ? Sure can't be 'cause we're all out riding. lol.

Thanks for posting !!

not all who wander are lost...

Deye76

Good work. Staying with the bubble bags?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Snuff™

I don't think I'm going with the orig bubble bags.  I got a set of 1990's style leather Heritage bags I may go with.  Just don't want to go bagless. :hyst:

stroker800

Very nice job,,will be a head tuner when done,,,Also great work area..I can assemble bobbers and chops BUT a bone stock resto takes patience...Once again nice job..
Dave

Snuff™

Thank you Stroker.

Mule

Been workin on my 62 as well. It was a chopper that is being brought back into an original chassis. Nothing fits right and the small stuff will get you every time. The latest problem was making an oil line to work with my oil filter and side fill oil bag. No one wanted my money to make me one so I bought some stainless tubing and bent up one myself. I had an aluminum mock up I made as a guide. the stainless was easier to work with than the copper and aluminum . It took more force to bend but did not want to collapse and kink as the softer materials. Looking good Snuff, Maybe this spring ....Mule...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Mule

One more pic...

Mule

Other side

rbonner

Cool Beans guys.  Now that shovel project is complete after I find a large bag of money in a snow drift I will start my "Pan Project".  I'll be working myself backwards in time until I have to carve a wheel from stone.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Pzokes

February 24, 2010, 01:38:57 PM #12 Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:46:58 PM by Pzokes
Snuff,
Looking good. 

Mule,
Yours looks great too.
Look at your oil filter mounting bracket.  See if it is one of the Tiawan brackets that gets thinner in diameter at the thread end, just before it gets to the where the larger smooth part of the bracket is.  It will break there when using that heavier spin on filter. The OEM bracket is threaded full size diameter till it gets to the larger diameter part.  If Purple Pan Dan is still hanging around here, he may have a picture of how some of his friends solve the problem of brackets breaking from vibration with those filters.  They add a second welded piece of round rod, flattened and drilled at the end, at a 90 degree angle to the original bracket, then they use a frame clamp to secure it to the frame above the oil tank.  Sorry, I'm on the road and can't post a picture of the Tiawan bracket now.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Speeding Big Twin

Great work, Snuff. It’s always good to see a bike being put together and I’ll be watching for the paint. As for riding, it’s summer here in West Aust and I’ve been out on both my Pan and Evo in recent days.  :smiled:

Mule, also looking neat. I notice you have a vent screw in the trans case boss as opposed to one in the shifter cover. And that's got me wondering about the casting date code on the underside of the case and I'm trying to help solve a mystery about the codes. Could you let me know what the date code is please. Thanks.     Eric

Mule

58-1S1, 4 H   If I am reading them right with my inspection mirror and flashlight.Hope that helps..Mule...

Speeding Big Twin

Thanks, Mule. You’ll probably find that 58-1S1 will turn out to be casting number 121-35 and 4 H may be H 4. And if it is H 4 that would indicate the case was cast in August 1944. From mid-1938 through the 1940s it seems H-D used a letter-number casting date code for the BT transmission case and then changed to numbers-only codes. But we’re seeing a lot of cases with a code of 3 3 and then there appears to be a gap until the 1958 codes.

Snuff, I meant to ask in my earlier post if you're getting the two colours applied in a 1960 type of pattern? Or are you going with something different?     Eric 

Snuff™

Quote from: Speeding Big Twin on February 25, 2010, 08:26:15 AM
Snuff, I meant to ask in my earlier post if you're getting the two colours applied in a 1960 type of pattern? Or are you going with something different?     Eric

The orig '60 scheme, of coarse.

Pzokes

I wish that I had the workshops that you guys have. I'm working in a 100 year old cotton barn, when I'm home.  It ain't that bad, it has a concrete floor, I've insulated it, wired it, and it has a garage door. I still miss my old workshop from when I lived in FL...I should be posting some pictures here soon of a mockup of my new chopper.  I've been home the past two weekends and managed to get a lot done.  It's going to be a mix of late model brakes and wheels with the rest being early model parts.

Little Al

geez it's nice knowing some of you guys Pan-ing around. fresh 18 inches of snow here in the last 24 hours and it's still snowing. I can't even get to my shed. I shoulda brought the Pan back into the kitchen for the winter...
Little Al

rbonner

February 26, 2010, 11:04:24 AM #19 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:06:47 AM by rbonner
Yeah whats wrong with you AL?  I've had my shovel in the dining room all winter.  It's complete now and the snow is so high out the back sliding door I had to turn it around and I'll take it out through the living room across the white carpet...  My college aged son goes, you're not going to start it up are you?

BOB

Little Al

I don't know Bob, just getting stupid in my old age I guess...

Little Al

rbonner

February 27, 2010, 09:34:40 PM #21 Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:41:25 PM by rbonner
Now there you go...  Is a PAN in the kitchen worth more than a SHOVEL in the dining room?  I think having PANS in the kitchen is the proper place for them as a Shovel is a serving utensil.

A little leather clad Sportster needs to be parked in the bedroom and at the bar on a bad night you get a Knuckle in the middle of your Flathead.

Just don't get extra grease splatter on it...  No teflon coating ya know.   :soda:

Man this stuff is fun...

BOB

Little Al

just goes to show you just how desperate we are to ride, restore, fix, talk, or even joke about, our Pans!
Little Al

rbonner

Yeah I haven't been outside in two days...  I have been spinnen chambers for four months.  I was supposed to be in FLorida riding all winter.

BOB

Pzokes

Al,
It even snowed in central and southern GA this year.

CraigArizona85248

Great looking projects!  I wish I was building a new bike but I just did my taxes and I owe Uncle Sam about $6K so project money is a little short.

I'm starting a low $$ project for my wife this week.  She wants custom paint on her 2002 Vespa ET4 (125cc of twist-and-go power  :hyst: ).  She's having surgery next week and won't be able to ride for about 6 weeks.  I told her I'd try to get the Vespa project done so it's ready to go when she is.

-Craig

rbonner

Craig,

Turn the Vespa into a new Pan Project and then tell her she can't ride it...  My OL was hoping to ride the Shovel, but when I stuck the stock 12" shocks on it that put it out of her leg length.  OOPS sorry Babe, need to grow about 3" of leg there...  Then come back and talk to me.

Is it obvious I don't like women any more?  Heck I don't like guys either...  HAven a heck of a time with dogs too; Pishaw and Oh shucks.

BOB

Snuff™

Update:  Got some sheet metal back.  Waiting on the tanks and heat shield for the exhaust.

rbonner

twincamzz

she's lookin' mighty fine there Snuff !!  :up: :up:

Deye76

Snuff,  :up: that'll give a red blooded American a woody.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Little Al

Little Al

Pzokes

Bike looks great.........can't wait to see the pictures when you get done. 

70weight

Snuff...great job! It's gonna be awsome.

Mule...lookin good! Post more pics as you get er done.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

Snuff™

Thanks guys!  But you haven't seen it close up.  Really disappointed in the paint job.  I'll probably have Seattle paint it next winter.  A guy at work painted my shovel fairing for $30 and it looks perfect, so for $200 for the pan I thought perfect.  Wrong!

rbonner

Snuff, there's always color sand and reclear.  I've had to do that before to.  On the race cars, we just strategically hung stickers.

BOB

Snuff™

Getting close.  Got the tanks back.  Painter didn't get the paint scheme correct.  Will have it repainted during the winter.  Can't find my shut-off valve yet.  Did get 2 orig. exhaust brackets for the front exh.

-Snuffâ,,¢

panjs

rbonner

Pzokes

Snuff,

Looks like your almost ready for a ride.  Looks good. 

twincamzz

Hate to hear that the paint didn't turn out like you wanted Snuff, but I still think your Pan is coming along nicely. Are those saddlebags in the background for this project ? If so, they're gonna be awesome ...  :up:

Snuff™

Thanks for the positive comments.  Twin, those bags in the background is a set of Heritage Softail bags I got off EBay ($47).  Needed some new studs and Doc Bailey's, Look pretty good now.  I'll be modifying the shape of them to fit (shock interference).  I got a set of originals, but like the leather look.

Snuff™

Snuff™

I updated with a video.  Still trying different starting sequences.  About 1/2 the time it starts on the 1st kick.  I just can't remember if it's 2 or 3 prime kicks.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,31451.0.html

twincamzz

She sounded mighty fine there Snuff. After all your hard work I know you gotta be one happy man. Enjoy the ride brother.  :up:

harpwrench

panjs

Quote from: Snuffâ,,¢ on July 12, 2011, 09:13:18 AM
I updated with a video.  Still trying different starting sequences.  About 1/2 the time it starts on the 1st kick.  I just can't remember if it's 2 or 3 prime kicks.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,31451.0.html
The '50 I had years ago was happy with 2 kicks to prime. I'm hoping my '61 will let me know some day how many she wants!
Both had a Bendix.