02 FLHR needs exhaust changed. What do you think?

Started by 02rk4cruzin, February 25, 2010, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02rk4cruzin

I've got a 02 FLHR with the AMS 95" w/Andrews 26g cams, 42 Mik V&H True Duals with Kerker slip-ons with P.A.T. baffles. Here is the latest Dyno:

I'm not sure I like the looks of a 2 into 1, So I'm thinking of the SuperTrapp Fat Shots so that I can adjust the number of disks without having to go with the SuperTrapp Supermeg 2-1 or the D&D Fatcat for best tune.

Any ideas? Or should I just be happy with what I have and quit looking to squeeze every last TQ out of this mild build?

Thanks,

Bill

texaskatfish

02RK what can I say..........'Gracie' is an '01 FLHR and was broken in as a 95 incher since birth.

I'm not one to polish OR have dyno runs done - and I'm just as happy with her makin that front wheel feel almost weightless in 1st & 2nd gear today as I was in January of 2001.............the dyno-in-my-butt says she runs real good.............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Jeffd

seems like with ported heads you should be a little better, but most AMS builds I have seen seem to be on the lower side for some reason.  I would think with a good 2.1 (supertrapp) you would be mid 90's tq mid to high 80's hp. That looks like just a base run so probably more power with a good tune. 
On the otherhand if it runs good and makes you smile who cares what the numbers are.  One thing for sure is it is a heck of a lot better than it was stock.

02rk4cruzin

Jeffd,

Do you think the Fatshots would work almost as good as the 2-1 due to them having the disks to tune?

Bill

Jeffd

I really don't know.  i have the 2.1 and really like it.  I have pretty much the same build as you with cv40 and mid 90's tq and mid 80's hp. 

PoorUB

You are loosing about 10 HP and 10 foot pounds some where!
My '05 Ultra, 95", Andrews 26 cams, milled heads, stock exhaust, ran 88 hp, and 98 foot pounds. I really doubt it is the exhaust. Could be the dyno is reading low. It might be just fine like it is!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

surf

Wouldn't the stock head pipes be better than the true duals?

Ken R

Quote from: Jeffd on February 25, 2010, 03:38:35 PM
seems like with ported heads you should be a little better, but most AMS builds I have seen seem to be on the lower side for some reason.  I would think with a good 2.1 (supertrapp) you would be mid 90's tq mid to high 80's hp. That looks like just a base run so probably more power with a good tune. 
On the otherhand if it runs good and makes you smile who cares what the numbers are.  One thing for sure is it is a heck of a lot better than it was stock.

From my personal experience only, it seems a little light on torque; like maybe 10 ft pounds or more.  HP seems a little low too; compared to what others have posted with similar builds.  Jeff, maybe you're right, just a dyno run and not tuned.  I think I'd get work done on the tuning before changing slip-ons.  There may be more HP and torque hiding in there with different timing and jetting.

boooby1744

check out the dyno section,johnca58....26's with high ratio roller rockers.I'd like to see that combo on a 103 or sns 106.

JohnCA58

I am running a great scavenging pipes too,  the Thunderheader 2:1 , I do not like the 2:1 look either, so I took the stock left side pipe and installed it on the bike with a thundercone, it is not hooked up to the TH.  but nobody notices that the pipes are 2:1 but Gearheads, and then they start investigating the set up and see it is a falsey after looking at the rear and there is a clean left pipe and dirty right pipe.

Boooby,  those a straight rockers , not rollers, different ratio's  1.725
YOLO

In The Wind

For peace of mind you could run a compression & a leak down test.

02rk4cruzin

"For peace of mind you could run a compression & a leak down test."

I've been thinking about that for the past several days. Just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the thought.

Ridetard

Quote from: 02rk4cruzin on February 27, 2010, 05:04:33 PM
"For peace of mind you could run a compression & a leak down test."

I've been thinking about that for the past several days. Just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the thought.

I believe your numbers are low,not much higher than stock.  Is this a recent build?  Rings seated correctly?   I would suspect you're running a bit too lean.   Using a 195 main jet right?

I would expect close to 90hp and over 100 ft lbs of torque with your set up.

Good luck