May 09, 2024, 05:00:48 AM

News:

Shocks on a Softail

Started by jimnewyork, March 10, 2010, 07:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnewyork

Going to put new shocks on a 1990 softail (Progressive 422's).
Any info on how difficult this might be. I have a lift but the lift seems to block access to the "work area". I assume that I don't have to remove the swingarm. Anyone know of tricks / techniques to make this job easier.
Thanks...
Jim

tinkerman

I put a set of works shocks on my 88 heritage a couple of years ago...very pleased with them by the way...considered progressive but I couldn't seem to find an application that was gauranteed to fit the 88.

As I remember I lifted the bike off the floor and blocked the chassis front and back which gave me access to the shocks mounts. I also blocked the rear wheel so it wouldn't drop when the old shocks were released.
I had remote reservoirs on the OE shocks...not sure if you have them.. and they were a bit of a pain to release and then snake out through everything they are tangled up with down there, but they did come out by turning and twisting and moving them out bit by bit.
After that, assuming you don't have any issues with the shock fasteners it was simply a function of remove and replace.

The only heads up I will give you is to secure the bike so that it cannot fall over...you may have to crank on some of the bolts...especially if this is the first shock replacement on a 90 and you don't want the bike tipping over...either for the bike's welfare or for yours.

tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Evo160K

jimnewyork,
You'll need a tool called a crowsfoot (iirc) to attach to your torque wrench to reach that restricted nut/area.  Again, iirc (crs), I changed one at a time on my 90 softail.

lilchief

Oh yea, it can be a real pain. Try to place your lift so you have the best access to the shock bolts, and enough room to remove them, then start unbolting. As said before, make sure the bike is secure. Trust me I know, when I was changing mine out a few years ago, I was using my bud's lift because the arms on his lift gave m better access to the shocks. Well, needless to say, I didn't notice the bike sliding off of the lift frame when I was wrenching the shock bolts off, and the bike slid off. I happened to catch it in my arms like a baby. Nothing like leg pressing a 600lb beast back up on the lift. I escaped with just a ding in the heatshield. It coulda been alot worse.