April 30, 2024, 08:02:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Victory, Japanese rice-burners selling?

Started by RKC03, December 03, 2008, 08:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

I'm not suggesting that anyone is interested in anything other than H-D, but was wondering if they "just happened" to be in any other dealerships selling bikes, and if they have seen a "slow-down" in sales, and if those dealerships are sticking to their "GUNS" as far as MSRP like many/all H-D dealers are....anyone want to admit to being in "those" dealerships or admit to talking to people that have...LOL   :wink:  :teeth:
                                                                                     RKC03
RKC03

Memnar

December 03, 2008, 10:07:49 AM #1 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:14:55 AM by Memnar
I've been to the other dealers, as I am looking at getting a dirt bike again.  The street legal dual-sport bikes flew out the doors this summer due to gas prices.

Have not bought a bike yet, tried to, but the dirt bike "on sale" was $800 over list out the door. The Kawasaki dealer said they had to charge an extra $200 on top of normal freight charge because it was on sale. Plus all the extra bull.

So to answer your question they were holding the price up high. Another guy was in the store with $7000 cash to buy a bike at list price and they also did not sell to him.

Albuquerque, NM.

88b

I know America's a little different ,but in England I've never paid MSRP. Got $2000 of my heritage in 01 and $2400 off an FLHT in 06. I'm looking at another bike now keep looking at the BMW GS adventure, doubt I'll get much off that but I can try. Looked at a Victory , they already knocked almost $2k off MSRP, but I think they need another $2k off before I'd part with my cash. Bike sales here slow down between Nov and march and that's the time to buy ,especially with the present economic climate.

steelknee57

My 19 year old son wants a Honda or Suzuki 600. We went down to the dealer in August and their inventories were pretty low. The salesman said that the bikes were selling well due to high gas prices.

underwriter

The metric dealers have never held the price to msrp.  A friend of mine is a salesman at our local honda, yamaha, kawaski dealer.  We have had many conversations about the metric vs harley price.  He has told me many times he can't believe people pay msrp for a harley.  He always goes below msrp to make a sale.  Before its over harley dealers are going to have to get off msrp. 

HV

IM in Canada so...things are a bit different ...here the Distributor just increased the prices of all bikes and parts by 10% ...we are also a Honda / KTM Dealer... so I have a good idea of all markets..... FYI  Harley sales to date are UP almost 15% ... Honda street bikes are all way below MSRP and still not selling.... Bottom line is...in hard times some people still buy...BUT they want something that at least has a chance of holding its value ...I just finished a new 09 softail with a HD Custom Paint Kit and lots of accessories ... over $12000 EXTRA on top of MSRP ... will it decrease in value....yes ...will a new Goldwing that you pay below MSRP decrease in value... YES by twice as much as a HD as soon as its out the door... and it will be worth SQUAT in 2 years
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

RKC03

HV,  With twice as many 07's and 08's on dealer floors not gonna hurt the resale value...I think the market is saturated..and has been since 03...production that year was extended ...wasn't it?   :pop:  RKC03
RKC03

HV

Like I said...Im in Canada .... not the same here.... we sold out all 07s ...and 08s and bought some from other dealers ... only 08s we have left are Buells and a V Rod or two... ... gonna be Trikes left next year ... as for 03s ?? most of them are in garages and trailers  :hyst:
Skype HV.HTT

RKC03

December 03, 2008, 07:36:53 PM #8 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:42:25 PM by RKC03
HV,  Thought you sold or was selling your X-bones...buyer back out?  Just saw it was still listed under your avatar...... :pop:  RKC03  :smiled:   You don't happen to work at Mackie's H-D do you?  Nice store anyways...visited it this summer...prices up your way were pretty steep..at least on tees... even had to pay for my dealer dot $3 like everywhere else   :wink:
RKC03

HV

Yes its sold... if I listed all bikes I ride it would take 2 pages  :pop:
Skype HV.HTT

HDSlowride

Quote from: HV® on December 03, 2008, 05:03:47 PM
IM in Canada so...things are a bit different ...here the Distributor just increased the prices of all bikes and parts by 10% ...we are also a Honda / KTM Dealer... so I have a good idea of all markets..... FYI  Harley sales to date are UP almost 15% ...

What the hell you been smokin' ??? Direct from the MOCO........

The Company's 2008 third quarter net revenue and net income were down 7.7% and 37.1%, respectively, compared to the third quarter of 2007. The Company's third quarter financial performance reflected a 13.7% decrease in shipments of Harley-Davidson motorcycles and lower operating income from Financial Services as the challenging U.S. economic environment continued to impact the Company's results during the third quarter of 2008.

Worldwide retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles in the third quarter of 2008 were down 9.6%. U.S retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles in the third quarter of 2008 were down 15.5% while international retail sales were up 11.3%. However, sales growth in certain European countries slowed more during the third quarter of 2008 than the Company anticipated as a result of deteriorating economic conditions. The Company continues to carefully monitor all of its markets in light of the challenging economy and remains committed to shipping fewer Harley-Davidson motorcycles to its worldwide dealer network than it expects they will sell at retail in 2008.
'07 Ultra Classic

HV

Im quoting the HD Rep .. HD sales were up in our area over 15% this year... Puff Puff Pass

Its common knowledge that they are down over all...

:bf:
Skype HV.HTT

RKC03

RKC03

tireless

I'm with HV, overall sales may be down but our local dealer seems to have no problem moving bikes

someday69

I think I know why some people will splurge/pay for a harley w/extras,,,,,Its because there afraid of inflation,,,they worry that there money wou'nt be worth as much,,,and they don't know just how bad it could get,,,,how low the dollar could fall in value,,,,,So people with disposeable income....try to get something substanchell,,,solid,,,,

Hell If I could there'd be a nice 02 roadglide w/All the extras sit'in in my garage,,,,,,but then I ain't got no garage anymore,,,,,but hey I can dream can't I????....someday..

88b

Two dealers I know say it's been slow since August, but one sold seven bikes in a week end to Europe now the Euro is stronger against the pound. In June I was geting almost $2 to a pound ,now it's $1.5 . Either the pound is very weak or the $ is up.

RKC03

HV, I hope you didn't take my previous post wrong, I was tickled with your "brainfart", I find it disheartening that so may areas of the U.S. economy are doing poorly, H-D too, if they are among them. I don't pretend to know how things are in Canada, and I beieve, with no disrepect intended, that most of the U.S. people don't care right now with what we/they are facing. I, do wonder though, when you said "your" rep said sales are up 15%. Is it up 15% from a year ago, 5 years ago, or what? The people I hear say the best place to put your money is in GOLD and LAND, and given the choice (if I had any disposable income), I would say I would be investing in LAND, because I think that they're still finding more gold, but last I heard the EARTH has been pretty well mapped out and I don't think what new land that is being formed (from lava from volcanoes) would take a few years to be of any use. The other thing one might ponder is the fact we're losing more land to the ocean each year, so I'd suppose where the LOCATION of the LAND is would be of significant importance. The last thing I'd like to add is OIL/GAS is not in infinite supply (probably won't run out while I'm alive), What I think I'll do with my "little" left-over income is to put my knees in the breeze every chance I get.  :wink:  RKC03  :smiled:  P.S. Hope noone minds the use of the colors  :wink:
RKC03

HV

RK... just a guess on my part......but.... let me guess .....your a retired guy with a lot of spare time on your hands??  :teeth:
Skype HV.HTT

RKC03

HV, no to your question, and my guess is you're a owner of a dealership in Canada?  :wink: RKC03  :smiled:
RKC03

HV

You would be wrong....
I do work for one as most know ...and have been in the industry for 37 years.... and no im not on the MOCO Pay Roll  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

RK101

December 04, 2008, 05:32:22 AM #20 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:38:20 AM by RK101
RKC03    P.S. Hope noone minds the use of the colors 

Know one else seems to need to use multiple colors in there post to make a point, but if you feel the need to and you think it makes you look smarter by all means break out your crayolas and color away.  :wink:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

76shuvlinoff

December 04, 2008, 05:37:54 AM #21 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:40:03 AM by 76shuvlinoff
:pop:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RKC03

RK101, I in no way do I think or feel I am smarter than any of you.....felt like there was a reason we had the option to use the popcorn and all the other little characters....but can't say I've seen you use any of them, so I could suppose that you would just as soon not have any of that "crap"....just saying....there may be some that anything that doesn't pertain to the technical aspect of Harley's should take their questions/comments elsewhere....NOT ME....didn't mean to ruffle your feathers or anyone Else's...so please forgive me...I'll try to refrain from now on.   RKC03
RKC03

HV

This is one thing that a lot of people from other boards that come to HTT have problems with... it is and has been and always will be a Tech site ... and it can get very boring very fast for non Techie types...
Sorry...we are Tech geeks  :cry:

But we are trying to change... honest...  :teeth:
Skype HV.HTT

RK101

December 04, 2008, 10:36:51 AM #24 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:47:11 AM by RK101
RKC03
Actually I do use the options quite often. They have there place and are quite funny at times, and I enjoy a good laugh more than most. The written word can be misunderstood at times and they are supposed to be used so there is no
misunderstanding on what is being said and in some cases to add a little humor to it all.  However I try not to over use them just because they are there. I think even you have to agree highlighting colors 6 different times in one post is a bit much just because you can. I guess I'm just missing the point of it all.

If you can explain it to me so I can see the purpose in it then maybe I'll understand also and be able to laugh along with you as I'm always up for a good laugh.  :teeth:

RKC03

RK101, I asked and you replied...no harm/foul...I will be frugal/cognitive of future usage of both colors/options...don't particularly want to irritate anyone....I feel like there's a lot to learn from people on this site...I would continue to read posts even if banned from posting...and I'm not saying I want to be banned, as I sometimes need a opinion on something someone has not asked about.....I agree that I can get my point across in my posts without colors...so accept my apology for irritating you...wasn't my intent.  RKC03
RKC03

RK101