May 09, 2024, 05:09:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Day of TTS tuning

Started by Hobe, March 14, 2010, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobe

Well I spent most of the afternoon working on tuning the scoot, started out with one more vtune run before starting on timing. Overall the vtune table looked good, but keep getting a little more of the lightest pink color than I would expect to see after about 4 runs.

Well I moved on to the timing runs, the timing runs seemed to work well and were shorter than the vtune runs. This allowed me to make numerous runs without wiping out the laptop battery. Right off on the first run found that I had significant knock retard in the 2200 to 2500 rpm, and then again around 3300 to 3600 rpm at high kpa values, but was worse on front cylinder. On each of the next 3 runs it continued to improve until very little on the last run, on each run I only adjusted the area leading into the knock retard.

In hindsight I guess that the timing issues could be what was driving the inconsistencies I was seeing in the vtune tables. I'm thinking that the knock retard kicking in was causing the VE readings to fluctuate a little?

Anyone have any thoughts, or past experience with a similar result? Reason I ask is that if it does have this much influence then I would think that there could be an argument for doing some basic timing adjustments earlier in the overall tuning process. After some basic timing adjustment you might get better or more consistent vtune results, and then could finalize the timing adjustment as normal.

After making the adjustments for the last run I updated the calibration and loaded to the bike. I feel confident that I'm much closer now than when I started, and that the bike should perform much better in all conditions.

Would be glad to hear thoughts or comments on my process so far, as I certainly am a novice, but I'm learning.  :bike:
Brotherhood of Warriors VMC
Veterans Supporting Veterans

justaguy

Did you go back and do another V-Tune run after making your timing changes?

2007SG

I am not the expert but if it were mine I would vtune again and then go back and look at timing. Timing will effect VE. Then if you still feel like playing do some dyno runs with the TTS software. You can drive yourself crazy playing - tinkering with tune I think.

Sounds like you are on the path to a great tune. How is the bike running?

Hobe

Quote from: justaguy on March 15, 2010, 05:03:20 AM
Did you go back and do another V-Tune run after making your timing changes?

Guess I missed putting that in the post, but yes the final run I made was another vtune run. It looked pretty good, but same as earlier runs had a lot of white cells and the light pink cells. The changes from the last vtune run and all of the timing runs were included in the cal I loaded back to the bike.

Hobe

Quote from: 2007SG on March 15, 2010, 05:19:30 AM
I am not the expert but if it were mine I would vtune again and then go back and look at timing. Timing will effect VE. Then if you still feel like playing do some dyno runs with the TTS software. You can drive yourself crazy playing - tinkering with tune I think.

Sounds like you are on the path to a great tune. How is the bike running?

I hear ya on going crazy playing with it.

Did finish up with an additional vtune after the timing adjustments, but ran out of daylight and called it a day on the tuning.

I have to say that I thought that the bike was running pretty good with the canned map, and had a base run done on the dyno to have numbers to compare to. The base numbers were a little dissapointing but looking back at the timing issues and VE tuning done I can see where it could be at fault.

And now I'm sure someone will ask what were the dyno #'s, so to answer the question they were 88 hp 105 tq. I don't know what to the HP will end up at but I hope that I see it get up to where I thought it might be.

Tre_11 FLHX

Quotethey were 88 hp 105 tq

And the Build is?  I see you stated we had similar build in another post. 
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Hobe

Quote from: Tre_09UC on March 15, 2010, 07:13:50 PM
Quotethey were 88 hp 105 tq

And the Build is?  I see you stated we had similar build in another post.

AMS 105, Woods 7H cams, heads ported for cams with 1.9 intake and new springs, and CR set at 10:2-1

Tre_11 FLHX

yeah I was wondering with the HP that low on your base dyno.  Hmmmm... you going to get another pull when you get her all dialed in?

Tre'
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Hobe

Quote from: Tre_09UC on March 15, 2010, 11:58:39 PM
yeah I was wondering with the HP that low on your base dyno.  Hmmmm... you going to get another pull when you get her all dialed in?

Tre'

I plan on having them do another pull when I get a chance after the tuning is better.

I can understand you wondering as the hp was much lower then I expected, but the torq was more in line. Looking at the afr line data it looked like the bike never went out of closed loop, for whatever reason. In hindsight I guess between untuned VE's, the timing issues that were present, the base cal closed loop setup, and some questions about the dyno tech possibly rolling into the throttle to easy all may have been a factor.  :wtf:

nc-renegade

What pipe are you running?
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Hobe

Quote from: nc-renegade on March 16, 2010, 07:36:48 AM
What pipe are you running?

Running stock head pipes with Rinehart slip ons.