Permatex Aviation Gasket Dressing on Rubber Coated Rocker Gasket?

Started by coolingfin, December 03, 2008, 07:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolingfin

I've noticed a lot of you use Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket Dressing.   I was intending to use it on my new lower rocker box gaskets (Harley brand) until I saw they were not like the paper gaskets I removed, but instead appear to be rubber coated metal.  Should I put those in dry?

jimrookie

I always put that type togeather dry..lets see what the best say

86fxwg

You will probobly get alot of opinons on this but i install them dry.Any sealer on rubber theres a better chance for a leak. Im a Auto tech and the only place on a car we use sealer with a rubber gasket is a Corner joint (oil pan,to timing cover to block joint.)
Felpro wants there rubber gaskets installed dry.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

jvcazcm

Most won't agree with me on this however, I have never used the new gaskets that I received in the kit.  I know it is just lazy, never have had one of the new gaskets leak.  I am convinced they just don't leak I have never seen one leak.  Now let me say when I work on other peoples bikes I absoultly replace them becuase they were paid for.  I also replace the cylinder o-rings and that green one at the bottom of the cylinder.  I also replace all of the O-rings in the cam chest.  I do not ever replace the cam cover gasket or the primary gasket those things just don't leak I have never seen one leat.  I would always recommend to other people to always replace the gaskets since they are in the kit.  Do I personaly replace all of the gaskets? NOPE not even the push rod O rings.  Again I have never had a leak in the twin cam motor.

jvc

d-dog

As an ex-aviation mechanic, I'd be cautious about using Permatex.  First, there's two tpes, the soft and hard drying.  That stuff seals great, BUT, it's hell to remove.  If you ever have to take it apart again, the stuff requires generous applications of MEK or other strong solvent.  If you use it on an alumimum surface, and you try to remove with a razor blade, you're likely to end up shaving the surface.  I'd recommend, if you feel you've got to use a sealant, use the Hylomar recommended by HD.
Dog

crash1292

the only time I use sealer is if the sealing surface has a nick in it.

HV

The newer HD gaskets come with a silicon based coating that's self sealing... no need for goop of any kind... I ALWAYS Replace all O Rings ..the older bikes have inferior rubber ones..that harden up with oil / heat .. the O ring around the oil pump to Crank Case seal is very important to replace... a hardened one will leak and cause sumping ..on your own bike its your call... but in the business a come back for a simple O Ring leak is a PITA
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

hdjax2

Every time I've ever used any kind of sealer on rubber gaskets the gaskets start squishing out from between the parts. The only time I ever used anything on gaskets is a little silicone around the water ports on automotive intake manifolds when the gasket surfaces are all pitted up. Most gasket manufacturers recommend dry.
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

coolingfin

Thanks for all of the responses.
Is Blue Loctite right for all the screws and bolts for the rocker boxes & rocker arms.

86fxwg

Yes, blue for any thing screwed into aluminum. Never red u run the chance of pulling threads out of aluminum.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx