April 28, 2024, 11:27:52 AM

News:

best wax for black paint?

Started by slypig, December 05, 2008, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwillard

worked in body shops way back when...we used sudsing ammonia to stip all old wax off.

03deuce

A while back this same question came up and a suggestion I tried was Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Show Car Glaze No. 7 for a polish, followed by their Mirror Glaze Professional Hi-Tech Yellow Wax 26.  I was happy with the results. 
I like Faast Ed's suggestion of using a wax remover as a first step.
I know Meguiars has a website that may offer you some help with your question as well.

tc1550

mike82860

You aren't waxing the black paint. If it's two stage (solid color base/clearcoat) or 3 stage (solid color base/sparkle/clearcoat) you are waxing the clear coat.

A good factory paint job doesnt need wax for awhile, at most twice a year use a very mild wax to clean the clearcoat.

Faast Ed

QuoteYou aren't waxing the black paint. If it's two stage (solid color base/clearcoat) or 3 stage (solid color base/sparkle/clearcoat) you are waxing the clear coat.

A good factory paint job doesnt need wax for awhile, at most twice a year use a very mild wax to clean the clearcoat.

Granted we are talking about black "color" as opposed to black paint.  Terminology.

However, you can make the Black "color" look much deeper and wet looking as soon as you bring it home.
Also the wax protects the paint in the process. I'd rather scuff the wax than to scuff the clearcoat.
≡Faast Ed>

7hogs

hdpegscraper

For the wrinkle black, like on the motor, primary and such, the Turtle Wax Liquid Ice brings back a dark luster when the cases and covers get dull, just sponge it on. I dont like it much on the tank and fenders though. I use a Meguires 3 step for that.   But really, that Liquid Ice stuff sure does wonders on the wrinkle black.     

53hddan

I agree with Deweysheads.  Griot's has excellent products.  Have been using them for years on my black vehicles.  They have a product for every phase of paint care.  They also have a nifty little 3" buffer that works great on my bike.  In the past, I have tried just about every vendors products and have found none better than Griot's.  For wax, you can either user their Best of Show wax, or one of their paint sealants.  If I feel like starting over. I remove wax or sealant with their Paint Prep, then clay the paint, then reapply either sealant or Best of Show wax.