May 08, 2024, 12:31:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT-HVAC question

Started by mc67crew, November 22, 2008, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc67crew

Does anyone have any experience with a flow-through furnace mounted humidifier? I'm tired of carrying water to room humidifiers,but I've never seen an old drum style whole house humidifier that wasn't a ball of lime scale in about a month. Not to mention the sunk float,stuck float drama.Thanks for any opinions.

Phu Cat

MC67, I'm not a HVAC guy, but had a humidifier installed on a new furnace last year.  As you might expect, they have improved over the years.  Ours is tapped into the hot water line off the water heater making it waste less water.  I can see where the filter is just barely starting to clog, but the manufacturer recommends changing them every two years anyway.  They only cost $8 each.  There are as many options as there are humidifier manufacturers.

PC

Oh yeah, if ya go with a water softener at the same time, you'll decrease a lot of the problems with mineral deposits.
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

mc67crew

Thanks for the reply,PC.Interestingly enough,AutoFlo humidifiers installation instructions recommend NOT using a water softener because you can get a white powder buildup in your ductwork from the softening chemicals.

Ohio Phil

MC67,     get u a Aprilaire 560 and mount it on the return duct so if it leaks it dont wipe out the furnace, and also run hot water to it set at 35% u r good to go.
C-YA Ohio Phil

Ken R

Quote from: mc67crew on November 22, 2008, 05:20:07 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a flow-through furnace mounted humidifier? I'm tired of carrying water to room humidifiers,but I've never seen an old drum style whole house humidifier that wasn't a ball of lime scale in about a month. Not to mention the sunk float,stuck float drama.Thanks for any opinions.

I am an HVAC man.  I've owned a 12-person company for 25 years.  I can tell you that we do not recommend humidifiers on central heating systems here in the Dallas area.  There are several reasons; you touched on the main one.  The hard water in our area leaves the mineral deposits behind when the water evaporates into the warm airstream.  Around here, humidifiers last only about a year before needing replacement parts. 

Now, if you live in an area that gets very dry (like 25% RH or less), a humidifier is probably a good thing.  But I still wouldn't put one on my heating system unless the water source is close to mineral-free. 

Ken

blacknchromehd

MC,

I am a service manager for a HVAC 210 man company here in York Pa. You should look at a humidifier that is mounted on the return duct work and does not leave water in a sump. These will inject water into the return and when heated up going thru the furnace you will enjoy a ample amount of humidity. Never install them above the furnace on the supply as they leak and can ruin the furnace with one leak. If you need help I can be reached at work at BVERVAEKE@WALTONCO.COM. I can forward you info and also provide you with my company's ability to buy it at cost. For a fellow Harley rider I will do what I can to provide you with one at cost. They are easy to install for someone with basic skills.

Bill
If you own one you should ride it...not polish it..not look at it...ride the dam

PoorUB

I do HVAC service too. The newer bypass humidifiers are fine, as long as your water is reasonable. They will not get slimy and stinky like the water wheel units will. Some companies are manufacturing small steam humidifiers to add on to a residential HVAC system. Again good water will help the units survive longer. Better controlls will take outside air temps in consideration. Colder outside,and it drops the humidity level in the home to avoid moisture and frost on the windows.
I had a water wheel humidifier for years. After I went to unit mounted to my HVAC system I wonder why I waited!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ken R

If you have a "horizontal-flow" system in the attic, beware.  The humidifier can freeze in the winter; and make a real mess of things when they thaw.  I haven't looked lately (because we don't offer humidifiers any more), but back in the 80's I remember a "Caution" tag disclaimer that the humidifiers were not approved for attic installations.  I assumed it was because of the possibilty of freezing and cracking the valve.

Deye76

I have a General (General Filters Inc., Novi, Michigan) model 1099. Only draws water when the furnace cycles, has a humidistat, and has been trouble free for 9 years. They make a couple different sizes depending on your sq. footage. Many of the people I work with have them, never heard a complaint.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Danny D

Check out an Aprilaire Model 700. We have one one for years no problems and totally automatic.
Danny D

BART

Howard Kelly can help you now!