May 06, 2024, 05:15:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Math experts

Started by Phu Cat, December 04, 2008, 02:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz95dog

home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

<What's a treadmill?<

Human Dyno.

Killer

Quote from: 13.2 on December 06, 2008, 07:56:32 AM
<What's a treadmill?<

Human Dyno.
LOL, that's a good one...  :up:
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

taz95dog

that's were  they put the grooves on your tires... :tfhat:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Faast Ed

Didn't know you were supposed to walk on those.
Most have clothes hangers and such on them.
≡Faast Ed>

One4Tone

if 1 plus 1 is 2 and 2 plus 2 is four...what is half of 2 plus 2..?

fuzznut5197

Quote from: One4Tone on December 06, 2008, 01:23:52 PM
if 1 plus 1 is 2 and 2 plus 2 is four...what is half of 2 plus 2..?

Sneak...

what is half of (2 plus 2)
what is (half of 2) plus 2

One4Tone

December 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM #32 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:05:14 PM by One4Tone
..ok..you got it..let's see how you do with this one..you got 9 harleys identical models , identical fluids, air in tires you name it..one bike has a 1 ounce diamond valued at 1 million bucks hidden in the motor...you can not start the bikes to hear any rattle...all you got is a  large balance scale...with no measure device but visual to see if both sides are balanced...you can only use the scale twice...can you find the harley with the hidden diamond?..this is not a trick question...and no "diamond" primary chain...

fuzznut5197

Hmm, let's see...  9 bikes...

Put 3 bikes on each side of the scale. If they balance, you know the diamond bike is one of the three that are still on the floor. So, get rid of the 6 bikes that are on the scale and put 2 of the 3 remaining floor bikes on the scale. If the scale is unbalanced, your diamond is in the heavier bike. If they are still balanced, the diamond is in the one that's still on the floor.
BUT
If those first 6 bikes you put on the scale were unbalanced, you know the diamond bike is one of the 3 on the heavier side. So, throw away the 3 bikes on the lighter side, as well as the 3 unweighed ones on the floor. Now, take 2 of the 3 bikes that were on the heavy side, and put 1 on the other side of the scale and 1 on the floor. If the scale is unbalanced, heavy side has the diamond; if balanced, it's the one on the floor.

Kansas

Geez, you guys are reminding me why I had to take dumbo math in college and majored in history.

One4Tone

...well fuzznut ya got me again  allways figured there is sharp minds on this site  good going   :up:

CraigArizona85248

You have a room with three light switches outside the closed door.  Each light switch controls one of three lamps inside the room.  The door to the room is closed so you can't see in and there are no windows looking into the room (there is no way to see into the room).  You can only enter the room one time and after entering the room you cannot change the position of any of the switches.  How can you tell which switch controls which lamp?

skeets

It is conjectured to be the scaling factor in the leading order term of the "sixth moment of the Riemann zeta function". In particular, Conrey & Ghosh have conjectured

where the infinite product is over all prime numb
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

HarleyFranco

Craig,

The best I could come up with was, turn on 2 switches, leave the one in the middle off.  When you go into the room you'll know which switch is for the light thats off, if the other 2 lights that are on are the outside lights you can make an educated guess as to what switches they are on.  If they are not wired in that order all bets are off.

Frank

s-glide76

In answer to Craig's question about the  3 lights. Turn on the first two switches for a few minutes. Before you go into the room shut off the 2nd switch. Once inside the room the light on is switch 1, the light with the warm bulb is switch 2, and the cold bulb is switch 3.      Later, Mike

CraigArizona85248

s-glide76

I thought about it on and off last night and couldn't figure it out. But when I woke up this morning it came right to me. My brain works kinda funny that way.             Later, Mike

CraigArizona85248

Mike,

I was asked that question during a job interview! 

-Craig

FSG

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on December 07, 2008, 12:37:53 PM
Mike,

-Craig

But how high is/was the ceiling ?

Faast Ed

QuoteMike,

-Craig

Did you get the job? LOL 

That was one tricky question!
≡Faast Ed>

truck

Quote from: Faast Ed on December 07, 2008, 01:23:51 PM
QuoteMike,

-Craig

Did you get the job? LOL 

Yes he got the job! He is now an Administrator on HTT!  :teeth:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Faast Ed

LOL   I guess that makes him qualified for sure!

I came into the discussion late enough to where the answers were posted already, but I'm not thinking that I would have figured it out anytime soon.

Now add the drama of a job interview into the mix, I wouldn't stand a chance. LOL  Too worried about the job, I'd choke.
≡Faast Ed>

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Faast Ed on December 07, 2008, 01:23:51 PM
QuoteMike,

-Craig

Did you get the job? LOL 

I did get the job.  But it took me a while to figure out the answer... all the while the guy interviewing me was waiting.  Sort of adds some "pressure".  :teeth: