May 06, 2024, 08:08:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Girder front end

Started by calgary56, December 06, 2008, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calgary56

Anybody out there running a 'girder' front end? 

I'm contemplating a 'girder' for my '05 Wide Glide, give it that 'Old School' look.

I do a LOT of hard riding, how do the girders perform? How many inches suspension travel do you get? All I've heard are anecdotal stories, no first hand accounts.

C56
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Old Crow

December 07, 2008, 04:31:20 AM #1 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:03:17 PM by Old Crow
I never had one on a Harley, but I had both(at different times, of course)a girder and a springer front end on an old Triumph chopper I used to ride.
The girder is hands down way more stable than a springer in the turns, and much more fun to watch operate as you hit bumps in the road.  I also think it works better than a springer when the front wheel is stretched way out in front of you.
Can't see it too well in this pic as we were packed for a week on the road, but:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

panhead_dan

If you ride hard, best to stay away from a girder front end. Unsprung weight is a factor in good handling and a girder is maybe the worst front end for unsprung weight.

calgary56

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, ... 1 pro, 1 con, .... won't be anytime soon, wife, finances, yadda, yadda, yadda, ... so will continue to reasearch
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Glenn W

Ran a 8"+ over girder on my Norton 750 Commando with a raked neck, and still have a 8" over springer on a '72 Honda 750 in an AMEN Savior frame. Both are fun, but no way do you want to push them in anything resembling "hard riding". The shadow of a long-ended front tire is fun to watch bouncing around when the sun's coming from the side, but it's NOT a performance thing!
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com