May 08, 2024, 07:52:12 PM

News:

Upgrading rear brake on a 1990 bagger

Started by Evo1, November 29, 2008, 04:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

Has anyone replaced the original rear brake caliper on a 1990 EG with a late model four piston caliper? If so what issues have to be addressed to make it work?

Thanks Steve

ClassicRider2002

Has anyone replaced the original rear brake caliper on a 1990 EG with a late model four piston caliper? If so what issues have to be addressed to make it work?

I actually don't own a 1990 EG, I do own a 99 FXR2 however.

My question however is this, why would you spend money on the rear brake for upgrading since the rear brake accounts for approximately 25-35% of your braking power.....thus why wouldn't you upgrade your front brake or if your EG has dual brakes (I am not sure of the answer of whether you have a single caliper or dual caliper on the front wheel) upgrade both front brakes which accounts for nearly 65-75% of your braking power. 

I am sorry I am not answering your specific question other than to ask you why you would contemplate such a thing.....I would think you would receive much more "bang" for your dollar investment simply by upgrading your front brake(s) while keeping your rear brake properly maintained.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

bigtone

I own a 90 FLTCU. A few years back, I rebuilt all 3 front and rear calipers, and I could not believe how much better the brakes worked. My other bike is an FXR styled custom, a light bike with GMA brakes, and I honestly believe the much heavier dresser could outstop it. I would recommend rebuilding the caliper and see what you really have before deciding to upgrade.

Flat Dog

November 30, 2008, 05:28:03 AM #3 Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:42:14 AM by Photo John
Bigtone-that is a great suggestion! I am going to do that on my dyna along with a brake line change, and am kicking myself for not looking at the low $ solution in the first place...I know better. ;)

I want all brakes to be 100% after all of the crap I have been thru regarding cagers out to kill me. My body aches all day long every day-a small investment in a great set of brakes or a rebuild for top efficiency is not something to even contemplate for me. If I can't lock up the rear for a slide into a low side in a panic stop, the results of a high side or handlebar flip are not something I want to think about. That's also what scares me about the anti locks on my Ultra.

Already living on borrowed time...

Evo1

Classic, I couldn't agree with you more! I will be installing new front calipers from a 06  EG this winter and would also like to upgrade the rear to match if possible. Otherwise the stock rear will be rebuilt. I was hoping that someone on this forum had done this upgrade and could tell me if it was possible and if so what was involved.

Thanks all,
Steve

shovelbill

another option would be to rebuild the calipers and use lyndall racing pads with better rotors, difference is like night and day and it looks stock.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Traveler733

Lyndall pads and stainless steel brake lines and rotors made mine a new ride! Floating rotors on the front made a huge difference. New OEM rear caliper was a huge improvement.

Evo1

Traveler, I had planned on using a braided line to the rear caliper in any case. It looks like the best solution is to just rebuild the existing caliper. I just thought it would be nice to have the rear caliper match the fronts if it wasn't too much work and alittle extra braking capability would be welcome.

Thanks again to all.

Steve

Buddy WMC

Traveler is correct,
I rebuilt the stock calipers on my FXR and installed Lyndall Z+ pads, Russell stainless rotors and braided stainless brake lines. Money well spent as this bike stops on a dime and can out brake newer more expensive systems. Don't ask how they got tested so well.

bobrk1

got the stock calipers on my rk with over 100k, this year I changes al the rotors the back was worn past the limit. The bike always stopped good went with SBS pads, had to panic stop and it stopped better than before I always used organic pads on my other bikes because they stop good ,have ceramics in the front work great!

ClassicRider2002

Don't ask how they got tested so well.

Buddy how did they get tested so well?

:smilep:

I really wanna know......

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2