May 08, 2024, 11:12:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Desperately needing oil

Started by conradical2, April 30, 2010, 12:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradical2

April 30, 2010, 12:22:15 PM Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:56:59 PM by conradical2
 :nix:Hey I'm really desperate! I need an oil routing for a 1969 Sporty XLCH! I have a 3.5qt. wrap around oil tank with 4 ports (two on top and two on bottom). I also have an after market oil filter and an oil cooler. I routed the oil lines to a 1976 diagram that I got off the Sportster Home Page and I'm not getting any oil pressure out of my 60psi oil guage. I have run the bike around the block (approx. 1 mile) so it must be getting some oil or it would have locked up by now. I tried loosening the oil guage to burp it as one of you told me and that didn't work. I took the front cap I have on the front of the pump out and oil is comming out but when I put the guage there and started it there was no pressure and when I took off the front oil line to the rocker box and started the engine briefly, no oil came out. Again it seems it would have locked up by now. If somebody out there could help me I'd really appreciate it. :scratch:

olpigiron

conradical2....
Are U Sure Your Oil Pump Is Working????
There Is A Drive Pin In The Breather Valve Shaft That Goes Thru. The Pump Gear....
If That Pin Has Sheared The Pump Gear Won't Turn....
Do U Have A Manual????
If U Don't... PM Me your Addy And I Will Try To Make U A CD and Mail It To U...
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

conradical2

Yes the pump appears to be working. I just routed what I think is the return (the fitting on top closest to the rear cylinder)to the oil filter like they have it on the diagram I got from The Sportster Home Page and fired it up. The guage I have temorarally mounted to the pump registered about 14 lbs. After about a minute it stopped so with the engine still running I loosened the guage and oil came out. I then loosened the rocker box lines one at a time and oil came out of there. Still no pressure at the guage.

eglideic

April 30, 2010, 07:35:24 PM #3 Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:40:02 PM by eglideic
 Just look at the oil return line going to the oil tank.
If you have hot oil and plenty of it, returning to the oil tank, then throw your gauge away.
The bike would never put out 60 lbs. anyway.
14 lbs. is a good strong reading.
And it always amazes me that idiots will spend thousands on a bike and then turn cheap and won't cough up the dough to buy the Harley Factory Service and Parts Manuals.
If you're going to be working on your bike BUY THEM.

olpigiron

eglideic critic

"And it always amazes me that idiots will spend thousands on a bike and then turn cheap and won't cough up the dough to buy the Harley Factory Service and Parts Manuals.
If you're going to be working on your bike BUY THEM."

LMFAO....

If U Are Trying To Be Funny.... U Need To Leave The Comedy To The Professionals.....
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Pynzo

May 01, 2010, 04:39:57 AM #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:01:51 AM by Pynzo
Does Your Tank look like this picture?
Top Left Port is for the Vent Line- hook directly to Vent Fitting on Crankcase.
Top Right Port is for the Return Line- Route line from Crankcase through Filter and Cooler and to this Port.
Lower Left Port is the Feed Line- Connect Directly to Crankcase Fitting.
Lower Right Port is for the Chain Oiler.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

conradical2

May 01, 2010, 07:57:06 AM #6 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:00:12 AM by conradical2
Yep that's it minus the front mouting tab.

nibroc

Pynzo--
lower left port can't go to two different fittings
that's confusing

olpigiron--
i don't think anyone is trying to be funny

conradical2--
use an oring chain and "Potty mouth" can yer chain oiler
you only have 3 lines to connect

feed--straight to oil pump
vent--oil tank to vent fitting on case
return--to filter thencooler then tank

had to trek out in the damn rain just to take these pics
hope this helps if not come to ky. (after derby) and lookie

couldn't post pics--too damn large

Pynzo

May 01, 2010, 11:05:26 AM #8 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:59:20 PM by Pynzo
Fixed it nibroc.
My Feed fitting is on the crankcase, not the pump. It'll be the 1/4 pipe thread fitting.

conradical2

Hey Pynzo. If the feed fitting is on the crankcase then what goes to the back of the pump? Now I'm really confused> :bike: :nix: :scratch: :gob:

Pynzo

I'm looking at my 900 and my pump has no fittings,  oil is fed to and from my pump via passages in the left-hand motor case, the fittings being on a boss behind the sprocket cover.
If yours has fittings then go by what nibroc says.

saltcaveminer

hey if you guys cant get along were not gonna let you play in the sandbox anymore! the 3/8 nipple behind the left cover is the suction to the pump.the 1/4 inch is the vent.Salty