May 09, 2024, 06:16:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS stage 1 map

Started by slo-poke 03, May 12, 2010, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slo-poke 03

I have a TTS but no lap top, I was wondering if the maps that come with the TTS are like the old chip downloads you would get at the dealer, as in is the map they have for 07 touring with AC and exhaust (slip ons) is like the stg1 download of old? What I want is to borrow a lap top, download the canned map, put on the AC / pipes and ride it for the summer with out v tuning right now. Will it work, or are those maps some special set up to start the v tune?

Atrick

Some maps are real close, some aren't. When I did my 103 the map was close and the bike was running decent that I broke it in with it then got it dyno'd. Bottom line is it will run soo much better with it v-tuned and/or dyno'd and dyno being the perfered method.

slo-poke 03

I hear you on the dyno tune, but I am not wanting to pay twice and I will be making motor changes this winter. I was just hoping to be able to do the AC pipes thing for the summer. I am looking to buy a used lap top and learn to v-tune it myself after.
  thanks for the imput, what I am hearing from you is it will work to some degree as in not cause damage if I have a friend with a lap top load a calibration map for ac pipes.

FLTRI

Quote from: slo-poke 03 on May 12, 2010, 11:46:28 AM
I hear you on the dyno tune, but I am not wanting to pay twice
Since there is no "easy" way to get around proper tuning for fuel requirement changes (cams, heads, exhaust, etc), you are best to leave the bike alone until you can afford the recalibration for the changes you propose.
QuoteI am looking to buy a used lap top and learn to v-tune it myself after.

There are now "netbooks" on the market for under $300, that make it possible to ride along with you and see v-tuning while riding.
Disclaimer: I do not recommend looking at a computer while riding. :missed:
You may want to consider the tune as a requirement rather than a luxury/option.
That said, there will be "advisers" who will tell you changing the exhaust/intake will not cause any negative running issues, however they probably haven't ridden a properly tuned bike. :wink:
As always, JMHO,
Bob
[/quote]
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

slo-poke 03

Bob I thought you could put the computer in the tour pack and work on it after it saved the rpm/thrott/positions itself, why would I want to try and ride while looking at a computer? that sounds a bit nuts to me, I don't know a lot about this TTS yet, but I am not liking what I hear already.
   I had looked in the paper at those netbook things and was wondering if that would be enough for downloading updates and v-tuning. If you are telling me they are, then thanks for the heads up.
   I had my old bike 'dyno tuned' twice with a pcIII usb, it ran like crap both times. I worked to understand how to get the loaded maps out to see what was done.I finally could to see that I got screwed by paying for a canned map with one slight change at full throttle. Got my money back, bought a DFO on the advice from people here and tuned it myself and it ran like a champ. I understand these closed loop systems are more difficult but in may ways better to tune. I built and tuned may a carb motor for myself over the years, I will be dammed if I will set myself up to get screwed over again by some body with a 'mystery' black box telling me they just did some thing worth hundreds of dollars with out me having any way to know. I intend to learn how this thing works. I will learn how to v-tune and or at least learn to read the loaded maps with or with out help, but hopefully with help from the brain trust here.

Atrick

The only problem with netbooks is they don't have a cd drive which you need to load the original cd for the TTS. Have you looked at a T-Max, I ran one for 10,000 miles before I did the 103" and never had a problem and would run one again if I had problems with the TTS. When I did the build I wanted to try the TTS to see what it was all about. The T-max will self adjust itself to the parameters set and then self adjust for changes, If you plan on making a lot of changes the T-max might be right for you. Both TTS and T-max are both good systems and both have their place. If you need more info pm me, to much typing to list everything if your not interested.

FLTRI

Quote from: slo-poke 03 on May 12, 2010, 02:05:39 PM
Bob I thought you could put the computer in the tour pack and work on it after it saved the rpm/thrott/positions itself, why would I want to try and ride while looking at a computer?
Just makes it easier to see where the v-tune is so you can stay in the learning cells. Not a requireemnt by any means just a way to make street v-tuning easier.

QuoteI had my old bike 'dyno tuned' twice with a pcIII usb, it ran like crap both times.
Just like the doctor you would pick....you should do a bit of research before trusting your bike's health to one.
QuoteGot my money back
Only thing better than that would have been if the dyno operator could actually tune. :wink:

Quotebought a DFO on the advice from people here and tuned it myself and it ran like a champ.
Just goes to show you how much the dyno guy you gave your hard earned money to, actually knew.
QuoteI understand these closed loop systems are more difficult...
Not necessarily. It really depends how much you know about what you are doing....just like everything else that's technically based.
Quote....I will be dammed if I will set myself up to get screwed over again by some body with a 'mystery' black box telling me they just did some thing worth hundreds of dollars with out me having any way to know.
Get references/referrals next time you need to tune an EFI bike and you will not be disappointed.
As another poster said, you can get a whole new engine management system (replace the ECM and O2 sensors...if you have them now) and spend a bit of time learning how to operate it....with help here and tech services @ Zippers....if/when you can geet a hold of them. :crook:
QuoteI intend to learn how this thing works. I will learn how to v-tune...

That's the spirit, and we'll be here as well as the guy responsible for it (Steve Cole of TTS) to help you be successful.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Quote from: Atrick on May 12, 2010, 02:45:06 PM
The only problem with netbooks is they don't have a cd drive which you need to load the original cd for the TTS. Have you looked at a T-Max, I ran one for 10,000 miles before I did the 103" and never had a problem and would run one again if I had problems with the TTS. When I did the build I wanted to try the TTS to see what it was all about. The T-max will self adjust itself to the parameters set and then self adjust for changes, If you plan on making a lot of changes the T-max might be right for you. Both TTS and T-max are both good systems and both have their place. If you need more info pm me, to much typing to list everything if your not interested.

You dont require a cd drive as long as you have a USB drive.  Just drag and drop all files from the TTS cd onto a USB stick ( us a desktop if no laptop available) then do the install off the usb.  As for the T-Max ....might be a good system, but why would you replace a perfectly fine ecm with another product. and secondly the TTS is 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the t-max......do yourself a huge favor...pick up a 200 dollar netbook and use the tts

slo-poke 03

Thanks 2067 I do have a desk top with a usb drive and have one of those flash memory sticks, I am sure my computer friend can do that for me. I already got the TTS do to the talk of it here so I don't really want to go to the thunder max, but it is a good idea.

slo-poke 03

And Bob quote  "Only thing better than that would have been if the dyno operator could actually tune" I warned them I did not know how it worked, but would figure it out so there was no talking about it after I did. Every body's got their thing, I can laugh at myself, have no problem being the butt of a joke with my friends and if I have two of some thing and buddy comes around needing one I will give it to him, but I will not tolerate some one pissing on my shoes and telling me it's raining. The minute I figure out that ain't rain... we have a problem, that really... really gets my goat. I can not stand people who screw with other people like that, I get so pissed it's hard to think striaght.