May 06, 2024, 01:58:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can I run a '98 and later clutch if I install a 66t ring gear on it.

Started by gryphon, December 09, 2008, 03:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I want to install a '98 and later style clutch on my son's FXR which currently has the earlier EVO clutch in it ('90 thru '97 or something like that) using the early 66t ring gear with the '89 thru '93 primaries. I know the main shaft is not a problem but they changed the ring and pinion gears in '94. If I install the earlier 66 tooth ring gear on the clutch will it and the pinion gear on the jackshaft align properly. I need to do this with the late '89 thru '93 primaries.

Porkchop

I'm running a 98 clutch hub w/inner,outer primary in a 1985 flht. I just replaced the stock ring gear because of wear and chipped teeth with the 66t & pinion.  I haven't ran allot of miles yet but seems to work great.  I used the Spyke 468041 Pinion Gear Conversion Kit, 98-Up Harley off of e-bay for around 90 bones.  Good luck
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

gryphon

What year primaries are you running. I need to run the late '89 thru '93 primaries. No problem If I run the later ones. I should have made that clear in my initial post.

Porkchop

I changed out the primaries so that's not going to help you with your question.  Sorry
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!