May 09, 2024, 06:25:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question about finding an intake leak

Started by Ruby, November 03, 2008, 07:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruby

Thought I'd post here on the general board and then on evo sporty too,
being as it's my 02 sportster I'm having this ongoing issue with it hestitating , popping and stalling
It only seems to happen taking off gearing up 1rst, 2nd, 3rd and then gearing down for a stop
Dosen't seem to do it at cruising speed.
It has this same popping sound rolling on and off the throttle in Nuetral also

Here's my question . . . has anyone ever heard of or tried spraying a shot of brake
cleaner on top end of the motor, to check for a leak.
I had previously checked the pipes, and the intake on the exhaust is snug.
I was told over the week end that this would be a way to tell if there was an intake leak behind the carb ???
I'm not even sure where to spray it ,
Help please, Thanks in advance, Ruby

Billy

Ruby,

With the engine idling or just above, spray your brake cleaner around the flange on the intake manifold where it connects to the cyl head, both front and rear being careful not to allow any to get into the air cleaner. If the engine sputters or dies, you likely have a vacuum leak there and will need to replace the seals.

Did this problem just start?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Mike52

Another method is to use a small handheld propane torch. Open the torch valve just enough to allow a small amount of gas out, move the tip around the intake flanges with the engine idling, listen for an RPM increase.  Pressurized brake clean can get sucked into the air cleaner without you realizing it, especially when you spray the intake from the left side of the bike.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

x52gnr

Quote from: Mike52 on November 03, 2008, 08:13:43 AM
Another method is to use a small handheld propane torch. Open the torch valve just enough to allow a small amount of gas out, move the tip around the intake flanges with the engine idling, listen for an RPM increase.  Pressurized brake clean can get sucked into the air cleaner without you realizing it, especially when you spray the intake from the left side of the bike.

Mike

I have used this method several times, you can put a rubber line on the end of it to facilitate getting into nooks and crannies....
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Ruby

Hi Billy , thanks for replying.
No this didn't just start, it's been going on for a long time but I don't get to ride
that often and when I did I would just deal with the popping sound.
Now that I have the time to ride it's become a real annoyance.
Was told wasn't nothing major and could be a quick fix,
but heck need to know what to do to fix it if in fact thats where the leak is.
My bikes have been sitting for months,have an 04 fatty too
I put a charge on my sportster over the weekend long enough to get it to turn over and idle for a bit, quick run up the road to the store and back and the batterys dead again this morning, just a clicking sound, lol the horn sounds like a sick calf bellowing.
At any rate, I have the charger back on it now and will do the brake cleaner test and post in an hour or so with the results. Then I guess depending on what it does, figure what to do from there.
And , if it stays running , where else could the leak be ya think, or what could be causing this ?
Be back in a bit,
non mechanic Ruby  8)

Ruby

I don't have a torch fellas ( that sounds scarey )
I'll try the brake cleaner , and try my best not to get any in the air cleaner.

V24me

I personally don't like to use Brake cleaner.  Instead use Carb cleaner which is made for that area of your bike.  There are a couple of subtle differences in some brands of brake cleaner.  You can also use WD40, but there again, why not use carb cleaner.  Use the red plastic straw that comes with it and spray it in, around and about the back of carb, intake manifold joints.

If there is no leak, you may want to check the float level in the carb.  The symptoms sound similar to what happens when it's not getting enough fuel.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

FLTRI

Quote from: Ruby on November 03, 2008, 08:33:53 AM

Propane torches are very inexpensive @ the local hardware store. Plus you can use it as a paint remover, pilot lighter, hand warmer or ciggy lighter when not checkin' for leaks. ;)
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Ruby

November 03, 2008, 10:36:46 AM #8 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:20:40 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
sounds like that may be the best option for me V24,
the carb cleaner, cuz to tell the truth I'm a little leary about spraying the others
them being combustible and all. Now to just get the darn thing to start.

Ruby

now that i think about it Bob, I do have one of them torches around here some where
My nefew had bought it for me and left it here , when he did some plumbing through out
renovations when I bought this place.He said they were handy to have around
But I've never used one

harpo1313

just turn the knob untill you can just hear it,doesnt take much,did you ever dump the tank and start with fresh fuel?

bbqjmaki

Mike , are you sure the idle won't decrease with propane, ever time I have check for leak the bike starts running rough if their is a leak,  another trick is to put a piece of card board right behind air filter to stop the propane from being sucked toward air intake
John

Ruby

Been a long day for me, kinda got frustrated messin with the bikes
had starting issues with both my sporty and the fat boy, so walked away
then got side tracked with some other nonsence  :o
If'n it aint the flint it's the fuel I tell ya !

Anyways gonna give it another go tomorow.
I'll update then, thanks for all the input y'all
much appreciated
Ruby
PS I am tempted tho to run out to the shop now that it's dark out, turn the lites out
and try bumpin the starter and see if theres any sparks anywhere
Nawwwwwwwww , my BP is back to normal now, lol
no sence in gettin' all flusterd again
nite all

Mike52

Quote from: FLTRI on November 03, 2008, 10:36:00 AM
Quote from: Ruby on November 03, 2008, 08:33:53 AM

Propane torches are very inexpensive @ the local hardware store. Plus you can use it as a paint remover, pilot lighter, hand warmer or ciggy lighter when not checkin' for leaks. ;)
Bob

Not to mention putting a little heat on the comp sprocket nut to loosen the red LockTite.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Phu Cat

Ruby, Since ya don't get to ride that often, maybe the gasoline has statrted to 'varnish up ' the low speed jet or ya might have a small piece of dirt in the jet.  How many miles on the Sporty?  (Were some Sportys injected in '02?)  Since the bike's not riden much, I'd lean towards plugged a jet. 

But before ya spray ANYthing around the intake, ya want to be absolutely sure there are no other sources of ignition to be accidentally to discovered.
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

ohio-rider

The problem with using flammables for finding intake leaks are 1-They only show large leaks. 2-They don't pinpoint the leak. 3-They are dangerous.

To be done correctly, it must be done with a pressure test and soapy water. One of our members here by the name of Mike Beam sells a great kit for doing this. Check out his web site at:
http://www.geocities.com/mbskeam

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: ohio-rider on November 04, 2008, 06:59:42 AM
The problem with using flammables for finding intake leaks are 1-They only show large leaks. 2-They don't pinpoint the leak. 3-They are dangerous.

To be done correctly, it must be done with a pressure test and soapy water. One of our members here by the name of Mike Beam sells a great kit for doing this. Check out his web site at:
http://www.geocities.com/mbskeam

Steve,

I agree 100%.  The only truly reliable way to find a intake leak is pressure testing.  I learned about pressure testing about 5 years ago on the hydraglide web site.  As you well know, kickstarting a bike with an intake leak is no fun at all.  Using the pressure test method you will know with certainty when your intake leaks are fixed.

-Craig

x52gnr

I like that idea, at work we use a smoke machine to find leaks in evap systems, exhaust and intake systems. Have even used it in ac systems to find leaks........
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger