May 02, 2024, 06:53:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Doing my Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade

Started by Tsani, December 10, 2008, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsani

I am installing the new style setup that I recieved from Herko. The bike is a 05 FLSTNI with 50543 miles on it. Basically a stage one bike. Been running syn oil since the 1000 mile mark.  So here are few pics of the shoes...

Primary on the left, Secondary on the right:

Primary Shoe:

Secondary Shoe:

What I found interesting is how the shoes wore side to side,
Primary:

Secondary:

The secondary shoe not only wore down more but the side to side difference was more pronouned as well. The primary shoe had about a 32nd's worth of wear at it deepest, while the secondary was worn about 3/64ths to an 1/8th if the deep groove was taken into account.

The other thing that caught my eye was the crank shaft were the cam plate journal rides:

The grooves are not deep at all, more like wear marks and there are no corresponding marks in the journal surface either. I don't know what to make of it.

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Admiral Akbar

Did you check your runout? If those wear marks don't look the same all the way around you got runout.. 
Max

Tsani

Yeah Max, they are the same all the way around, but tommorrow I am going to set up a indicator and check the run out.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Admiral Akbar

If the runout is good. I slap it together with the new cam plate herko sent you and be happy..  :teeth:  The original might have been off center some.. Max

Tsani

December 10, 2008, 10:52:54 PM #4 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:04:26 PM by Tsani
One thing I did notice is how easy everything came apart. Didn't have to pry the plate off at the guide pins as per the manual suggestion. Also, I broke the rear cam gear and crank shaft gear  bolts loose with the bike in first gear and a 3/8 drive rachet. Just a slight rap on the handle and presto! Surprised me. As I said, I could find no marks in the cam plate and the mark on the shaft are not deep at all, as a matter of fact with out a mike, I might not be able to say how deep. Ihave also keep an eye on the oil and opened oil filters. Nada. Clean. I will know more tommorrow when I check the runout. Also, even the lifter felt like a good fit in the guides. I have new ones that I got from Herkko and I will put them in, I mean hey why not at this point. But if I did not have them, I would not hesistate to use the exsisting. This is my first TC. Big difference from my pans and shovels at which by 50k, I'd have been looking at some major rework. I have followed the issues folks have had and I have to say I have a good one or so it seems.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

DaleW

could you post up some pics? I havent seen these before,I'm guessing they are an upgrade for the std tensioners.

Dale
2009 RoadKing Classic

Bakon

wasting time

PoorUB

Quote from: SHOStreetglide on December 11, 2008, 03:46:16 AM
They look pretty good for 50+

I am doing the same to my '05 Ultra, and I was surprised at the condition of the tensioners. The outer had hardly any wear and the inner was wore down maybe 1/32". They probably could have run to 75,000.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

smoserx1

QuoteThey look pretty good for 50+

Ditto that.  They look marvelous for 50K.  I thought I was doing good to get 70K out of a set.  Mine, at 70K did have a little uneven side to side wear like yours do.  I had been checking the outer shoe for about 20K or so prior to replacement, and the first time I looked at it, it was worn far more than yours.  If you are replacing stock cams I would be interested in what lift you have left on them.  Mine stock ones had lost about 20% of the lift specification on every lobe after 70K.  Went back with some chain driven 203s.

Thanks for the excellent pics.

HDDOC

I think you were very lucky to see tensioners that look that good at almost 51,000 on them, I have only seen a few with that many miles that did not need to be replaced, going roller chain is a good move on you part. Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Tsani

December 11, 2008, 07:28:33 AM #10 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:01:54 AM by Tsani
Dale - What kind of pictures are you looking for?
smorserx1 - What was the lift spec on the stock cams? These look really good.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

DaleW

"the new style setup that I recieved from Herko"

Like to see some pics of those ,thanks
2009 RoadKing Classic

Tsani

Here Ya Go Dale:
From the kit:

From the manual:

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

Just checked the runout. I will post a photo or two later when I recheck it. Have some errands to run first, but! I would like to meet the guy at the factory who put my mill together and say thanks. I indicate just shy of 0.001 runout! At 50K, and know of at least two engine killing panic stops that could have thrown it out of whack. I could go gear drive with no problem, but I previously made the decision and bought the setup for the Roller Chain cams and am committed. But this gives me a lot of faith in this motor. Which means alot to me. But I will triple check it, next time with my glasses on! LOL! But it looks good.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

smoserx1

December 11, 2008, 12:44:32 PM #14 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:46:03 PM by smoserx1
Quotesmorserx1 - What was the lift spec on the stock cams? These look really good.

0.473 I believe.

BTW your pics are awesome--great job.

PoorUB

Quote from: Tsani on December 11, 2008, 12:01:17 PM
Just checked the runout.  I indicate just shy of 0.001 runout!

Mine checked out at .003" runout. Not great, but certainly nothing to get excited over either.

pappashelby

Just did mine last weekend. Had about the same wear at 40k. Should have gone another 40k but I feel alot better with the new setup. And with the Baisley spring the oil pressure is up where I'm not looking at it all the time.  Used the Andrews 21N cams and was worried about remapping but it seems to run real good with the SERT #55

Tsani

December 11, 2008, 05:57:26 PM #17 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:58:59 PM by Tsani
UB - 0.003 is the limit, isn't it? I did hear that MOCO did increase it via a service bulletin! Go figure. I need to correct my measurement above. Seems more like +/- 0.0005. I am using a Starrett 196A indicator with 0.001 increments. The needle almost swings the complete distance between two marks. Best I can do with what I have, but I can't complain.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

December 11, 2008, 06:03:23 PM #18 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:07:45 PM by Tsani
pappashelby : Whats your bike and build? What kind of oil pressure? SERT version?
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Overcamber

what is this herko's email?..thanks I'm interested  :teeth:
Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !

Tsani

December 11, 2008, 06:17:10 PM #20 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:21:35 PM by Tsani
Click on his user name and you can email him.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

pappashelby

December 11, 2008, 06:19:56 PM #21 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:22:33 PM by pappashelby
06 Ultra with the old SE mufflers by Supertrap and SE air cleaner. SERT Version 4.7.7, map 55 . About 45lbs oil.  Haven't put many miles on it yet but it seems to be good.  Although I would gladly try a map from someone who has dynoed this setup. :embarrassed:

PoorUB

Quote from: Tsani on December 11, 2008, 05:57:26 PM
UB - 0.003 is the limit, isn't it?

I think it was, but the MoCo increased it to a full inch or something! :wink:

Tsani

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

OK. Done laughing! Whew! Good one there UB, I am sure that was MOCO's Fix! Anyway here are couple of pics showing the runout on mine:

And that's all she wrote.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Admiral Akbar

Ship it!! The marks in the crank were probably from cam plate alignment.  Now don't you which you had gears...  :smilep:  Max

tomp

Wait a minute, all bets are off! There is a dent in your dial indicator :hyst:

Tsani

Naw, dont wish I had gears, I am fine with my choice. LOL! No, thats not a dent, it's how the glass is held in, but you knew that! :wink:
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier