May 09, 2024, 12:26:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Alaskan HWY ??

Started by HDB07, December 13, 2008, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calgary56

"I do want to be off the road by dark." .... that's rich :)  Depending on the time of summer you head up there, DARK may not happen until about midnight, then it'll be light again about 10 minutes after midnight :)
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

ricochet

How about 17000 miles in 5 weeks.  Went across the northern part of US from NH to Yellowstone, south as far at San Diago through all the parks then up the west coast to Vancouver.  East to Bamff and Jasper then north up the Alcan to Tok, Fairbanks and Anchorage.  Coming back did sort of a figure 8 by going into the Yukon and crossing the Alcan in Dawson or Whitehorse? Back south through BC on what I thought was the Stewart/Cassier Highway.   Back cross country through southern Canada.  It was all most spactacular and full of memories.  Course it was in a weighed down pickup truck we called home.  That was 74 and most of the Alcan was gravel.  The Stewart Cassier was newly paved and like being in heaven.

ricochet

Yukon

I left N.B. in 96,rode across Canada to Dawson Creek and up the highway to Whitehorse. A great side trip is head south to Atlan B.C. They call it the Alps of the west. Leaving there we went to Skagway and got on a ferry south to Prince Rupert. Another great way to travel. Cheap,great scenery and lots of people to meet. Once on land in Prince Rupert, we headed south to Sanfrancisco. Believe it or not, we were a lot warmer in the Yukon and Alaska than we were in Cali. We left there and went through Death Valley to Vegas and from there to Sturgis. After Sturgis we headed home again. 6 weeks in total,20,000 kms. tented all the way but were told there was a bear attack at Laird hot springs the day after we left leaving a woman dead. Only got minimal rain on 3 different days. Trip of a lifetime. Planning it again this summer. Bringing my wife this time as she got tired of listening to the stories. No problems with gas but were very carefull about fillups. Came close to running out in northern ONT. I was pretty discusted with the mud on my brand new electraglide and it wasn't worth washing at a Whitehorse car wash because they used recycled water. It was just as dirty when I was done. Bought a new 2009 for this trip too. I guess I love the punishment.

HDB07

Hi
I want to thank all of you who helped me to decide to go. It really was not hard to do! I will be back next fall with pic's & memories. 
Bill :smile:

inspector

How do I get a Milepost?.....Thanks...Wayne

06ultra

My son and I pulled a travel trailer from Anchorage, AK. to the Florida panhandle this past july. I remember a few motels in Tok at the main intersection (only intersection). Every ones description above is right on the money.

Have a safe trip.

http://www.travelpod.com/hotels/Tok.html