April 27, 2024, 09:05:27 PM

News:

09 FLHX vibration ??

Started by kingvvk, December 13, 2008, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingvvk

I have a new FLHX that has a lot of vibration in the floorboards. My O2 RK has none. Is this because of the new frame design that has the rubber mounts bolting right to the floorboard brackets or did I get a high runout crank ? The motor is quiet
and makes no noises.
Also I noticed that the six speed has a knocking noise when idling but stops when you pull in the clutch. Is that normal for these new six speeds as I find them to be quite noisy compared with my 02 5 speed.   

autoworker

It may be the factory (epa) tune.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

FLTRI

Is this a bone stock FLHX? No pipes, A/C, cams, etc?
If it is then I would have it check by the dealer for maybe crank run-out.

If not and you have done any performance upgrades, especially tru-duals and not retuned for the mods, vibration will occur from lean running idle, especially from the rear cylinder.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

kingvvk

The bike is bone stock with 500 miles on it. Calif. model.

FLTRI

I think, if it were me, I would stroll into the dealer/service dept and ask them start up another same-type bike to see how it idled/ran. If it was different/smoother I would have example to compare to. Then if the dealer refused to fix it, call MOCO customer service and explain you compared yours to another and yours vibrated and the other bike didn't.
As always, JMHO, Bob

TOMCENTRAL

December 13, 2008, 10:24:29 PM #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:57:28 AM by TOMCENTRAL
I have a 2009 Ultra & am planning a 103 build next week.I noticed a similar knocking sound after changing the fluid in the primary & adjusting the clutch at the hub/clutch basket.My buds 07 Ultra had a similar sound after the dealer replaced a bad primary bearing @ 45,000 miles.He told me that the dealer had not adjusted the clutch properly & had a knocking noise.He re-adjusted the clutch at the hub & the noise went away.I will be re-adjusting mine to see if I get similar results.Mine seems to make the noise when it's cold,but goes away when warmed up.Please let us know what you find out at the dealer & good luck.Regards,Tom ps:the 96s do have different harmonics & the trans is much different.The trans on the 09s seem to be geared about right though.

TOMCENTRAL

I checked my bike last night leaving the hospital & found the noise not there on initial start up.It did appear after the bike warmed up.Kinda a clicking/marble sound.I took a stethoscope & listened everywhere I could on the rocker boxes,cam nose,lifter/pushrods,trans,primary.The area around the compensator seemed  to be the only place I think I could faintly hear it.But,I am still not sure about that either.I read some posts on a subject called knock knock on another site & found no specific answers there.Regards,Tom

kingvvk

I only hear the knocking sound in the tranny when idling and it goes away wen I pull in the clutch. It may be normal with these new six speeds and different compensator sprocket. I am more concerned with
the vibration I am getting in the floorboards which is most felt in the 2500-3500 range. My dealers service techs are all idiots. My 83 year old mom knows more about Harleys.

waltcentral

How much would you mom charge to pull my heads and jugs for a port and bore.  Its a little cold here and I'm lazy.
Walt

03deuce

The bike is under warranty, you can take it to any dealer for a complaint.  If there is another dealer in the area, you may have better luck with another service dept.   
Now I agree you shouldn't have to do this, but you just want your bike inspected by a competent tech and given a straight answer.  For sure, you want to get your complaints documented on a service order so you will have that copy should you have problems later on.
Finally, if you are not happy with the service dept where you bought the bike, I would ask to speak with the general manager and give him/her the opportunity to fix your complaint.  Keep your cool and see what they are willing to do, if they blow you off that is another issue and I would make it clear to them that you will take your future business elsewhere.

Fat Mike

VVK - I have an '09 Ultra with less than 500 miles on it.  I don't have a noise but it does have more vibration in the 2300 - 3000 rpm range than my '08 Ultra had.  I stopped by the dealer on Saturday and had the Service Mgr. who is a good friend ride it.  The dealer let me ride his '09 FLHX with 1700 miles on it.  The vibration seemed a bit less on the FLHX than my Ultra. 

The service mgr thought the vibration level was "acceptable" and due to the new frame.  I'm hoping that as the motor loosens up as I get a few more miles on it the vibration is reduced. 

kingvvk

Thanks Fat Mike. That is kind of what I am thinking. Though this new frame design is much more stable, with the motor mounts bolted directly to the floorboards brackets it has got to cause more vibration IMO. I will take the others advice and take it to a dealer though.  Thanks Gents.

Fat Mike

VVK - If you would, post what you hear from your local shop on the vibration and the noise. 

While I was riding on Saturday, I was doing the math in my head what it would cost to have the shop check the amount of run out.  Since the vibration seems to be present in other bikes, it likely won't be worth it, to me anyways. 

09fltr

Hey King,

My 09 RG vibrates like that also, I think it is pretty normal. It seems a little worse after the 103 BB kit was installed. I love how the bike feels on the highway though, smooth as butter.

kingvvk

09fltr,

Yes once I get up to freeway speeds mine is smooth also. It is only around town cruising that I notice the floorboards buzzing.  It may very well be the nature of the beast or all the new 09's have a ton of crank runout. Lets remember that in 09 Harley upped the runout spec to .012 as being OK. Having a 02 & 09 I have to say that the 02 is still the best year for FL's IMO.

FLTRI

Anyone had their stock/stage1 '09 tuned w/SEST or TTS? Any diff in vibration? Our experience has shown improvements in vibration, at least that are the reports from owners.
Funny the MOCO advertises less vibration with the advent of the Iso-Drive:
"The Isolated Drive System reduces noise and vibration to the rider for improved ride quality under acceleration, shifting and cruising."

Faast Ed

Why would someone even think about investing in Sest or any other tuning device on a brand new stock bike? (let alone dyno time)

Now if you build the bike, now you can't blame Moco for the vibration. 
≡Faast Ed>

RK101

Wouldn't some of the vibration be to the longer stroke of the 96 inch motor?
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

kingvvk

RK101

Yes you would be correct on that thought but I really don't know if that is a fact being this is my first 96in TC. All my 88 TC's have been very smooth. I sold my 06 95in FLHT to buy this new 09 and the 06 was much smoother.  I am still thinking it to be this new motor mount setup. There is a lot of movement on those motor mounts and like I said they bolt right to the floorboard brackets on the frame. It could be a combo of many things : Stroker crank, too much runout, lean EPA stock flash, new frame design. I am hoping HV will chime in on this. He has the most exposure to new bikes.

FLTRI

Quote from: Faast Ed on December 15, 2008, 12:01:47 PM
"Why would someone even think about investing in Sest or any other tuning device on a brand new stock bike? (let alone dyno time)"

Answer: Because some owners want their bike to run smoother, make more power, alleviate vibration, and possibly get better mileage? This is best accomplished utilizing proper measuring equipment (read: Dyno). However if an owner wants to buy and learn how to use onboard measuring equipment virtually the same results can be met, albeit without quantifying the results, other than SOP. Some owners just want to get the most from their bike's performance without going through the additional learning process to do it themselves.

Now if you build the bike, now you can't blame Moco for the vibration.  Maybe that's what the MOCO hopes for, but I doubt it. :wink:

JMHO,
Bob

RK101

I did put the newer type mount on mine and there is no question abut it,it is stiffer. It seems to have softened up a little after time and miles. Either that or I'm just getting used to it. :smile:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

09fltr

I had a velva ride MM in my 06 RG, it kinda feels like the 09 feels now. It vibrated in the floorboards. about 2500-3000 rpm's around town. Might try that mount, you can get it in the j&p catalog. It helped the 06 alot around town with vibration issues. I think it was made with a harder rubber than the hd mounts. The 09 rides alot stiffer than my 06 did also, i think the front shocks are stiffer.

Fat Mike

Quote from: RK101 on December 15, 2008, 12:44:32 PM
Wouldn't some of the vibration be to the longer stroke of the 96 inch motor?

RK101 - My '08 Ultra was 96 cu. in. too, and it was noticeably smoother than my '09 and the other one that I've ridden.  I don't think it's the stroke as much as the motor mounts like KingVVK has mentioned. 

sandrooney

When I first got my 07 it was not as smooth as my 05. I Changed pipes went with SE/AC, and SERT, a good tune,and it's smooth as glass now. All of which I would have done anyway.
Just my experience,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Rugby_fxdwg

Why would anyone sell an 02 twin cam for a new bike? :pop:
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

kingvvk

On a positive note. The new 09 front motor mounts look like they will last a very long time compared with the old donut type mount. Of course time will tell. Kind of like the new cam tensioners. It took a couple years till we knew it was a good setup.