May 10, 2024, 12:19:47 AM

News:

The WORST part of the job

Started by easyricer, July 09, 2010, 04:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

Well every now and then I get a call from our bank, to go and get a bike. This one hit close to home. I had to repo my EX-Wife's bike. I had hoped to repo it from her but instead it turned out it was an old friend of mine who she sold it to for payments. He had been making his payments to her but she wasn't paying the note. I took the bike to my shop, he came by later and payed it off, I handed him a title and he took his baby home again. All ended very well! Still will never like showing up at a mans house to take his scooter from him!
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

panjs

rbonner

Yeah really sucks, I had to repo a bike I sold to my step brother.  Showed up during a family event, got my other step brother to get me the keys and rode off on my bike.  He just flat stopped paying with like $200 to go on the bike...  Both me and my other brother got quite the laugh out of the whole deal...  I offered to give the bike back, was just a wake up call but the kid just flat said, default..  Sorry...  I sold the bike for a profit to another friend for cash.

Hope you OL got the bad credit score from the repo.  In my case my brother was paying me directly as I owned the bike and was holding the title.  It was a Kowie, not an HD.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Biker72

I used to do repo work for a finance company. Some people were just sorry but others really got to me it is a bad way to make a livin and I'm glad I got out of that business. I can't imagine in this economy having to show up to take a guys bike that would suck. Glad it all worked out for him though.
Duke

Brrrap

Interesting thread. Its mind boggling that a man could show up at another mans house and go away with a bike he's told to go get. I suspect some just allow it to happen and maybe even apologise, But I also suspect it can be a hairy experience. Unique character that can go do that.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

easyricer

Quote from: Brrrap on July 10, 2010, 04:46:37 AM
But I also suspect it can be a hairy experience. Unique character that can go do that.
It's been part of my job at the shop to do so for 8 years now. I really do dread doing it because I know how I'd feel if a man showed up at my house to get one of mine. Luckily it's only been maybe 5 times in the last 8 years now. The worst ones were pickin up bikes from guys who I had the pleasure of DELIVERING the same bike to! I much rather be the guy making a mans world righteous than be the one who has to take it away.
It's never easy.
EASY

Brrrap

Easy.....God Bless you (and i mean that) I would hope that you're not called to do that often
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

rbonner

July 10, 2010, 08:49:44 PM #7 Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:40:15 AM by rbonner
Yeah come here and try it...  We can have beer.  Can you drink beer with a shotgun pointed at you?  I've never tried, could be interesting.

OK lets modify this thread slightly.  We are all serious guys here...  If the world took a crap and you were going to have something repoed if you didn't make payments, what would you pay first?

Would you pay your bike before your house?  Would you pay your bike before your car?  If your wife said, that bike has to go its ME or That BIKE, would you tell her, you want the house with that deal or are you the one moving out...?

In order of what would go first; here's my choices.

1. Wife
2. Car  (car is either Van or F350; truck paid off)
3. House  (I still have my toy hauler to live in; paid off)
4. Nope I think I'd run away and take all my bikes into hiding with me.

I used to be 100% bike owned, I wouldn't buy one unless I had the money in the bank, then I got lazy about 5 years ago when the economy tanked and took interest rates to 3%.  That's like free money in my opinion.)

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

76shuvlinoff

Following  Bob's lead here.
I think if the economy collapsed there probably wouldn't be much chance in selling the extras but say we lost our income the first thing to go here would be the 09 FXDF. Love riding it but I owe money on it and it would have to go. Keep the shovel. The current cages/trucks are paid off.

2) horses, IMO a drain on assets but at this point I'm stocked up for about 9 months on feed so that really wouldn't be a rush.... and they say horse meat is ...ok. I'd try being a vegetarian.
3) house, hopefully not.

guns? nope, need those in the event of a slide into civil collapse SHTF scenario.
wife? nope, she can shoot.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

Well in my case....
The 2000 Roadglide that we owed $8500 on is gone! That allowed us to buy the house.
The Harley and the Honda are PAYED for!
The Triumph got a note and can go (we got it for fun, not for transportation)
The Suburban is paid for.
If the world was to collide today and my shop went tits up, I can continue to work here at the house to make the house payments. The Triumph can go, we don't NEED it. The Suburban, we keep, just don't drive it much anyways, it ain't eatin nothin. I put the side car back on the Harley and we have family transportation that we all can enjoy. The Honda will get the wife or son to work or school with little to no cost to us.
I've always taken very good care of my business so seein a guy like me comin to get one of my bikes ain't gonna happen.
Up until a few years ago, I payed cash for everything. So everything I had was paid for and we owned outright. I had NO credit at all. At the bank I was a ghost. Then one day I needed to borrow a few bucks and found that I was a credit risk. (go figure) With a little help from my banker I now have excellent credit and can handle what ever I have to with their help.
So... on that note
One of the bikes can go
The truck stays
The house stays
The WIFE, hmmmmm, yeah we'll keep her too! ( I gotta keep her, she's a better shot than I am!)
EASY

CraigArizona85248

July 11, 2010, 11:53:49 AM #10 Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:56:21 AM by CraigArizona85248
What goes first?  The house.  It's the only thing I owe money on so it's the only thing someone could come take.  With the uncertainty of jobs in this day and age you are much better off not borrowing money to buy things (I realize it's not always possible).  That way when times get tough you aren't in a big pinch.

I don't get too emotional when I hear about something being repossed.  Things get repossed when the contract to pay for the item in question is breached by the buyer.  You really can't expect anything else to happen.  When someone buys something on credit they really don't own it until it's paid for.  So the bank isn't taking away the buyers property.  They are taking back their own property because the buyer didn't pay for it.

-Craig

Old Crow

Lessee, 2 outa the 3 bikes are paid for.  I'd sell the Superglide to pay off the Tourglide's loan(wife's liking that Tourglide more every time she rides it). 
Jeep, truck, travel trailer, guns, and cop car...all paid for.  House?  5 1/2 years to go and I can make the payment in my garage if I have to.
Wife?  Yeah, I'll keep my riding partner too, thanks.
Having just come off a 3 month stint of unemployment, this was all pretty fresh in my mind.  Only problem with the above scenario is that I have to put a grand into the Superglide so I could sell it.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.