May 01, 2024, 06:57:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Illusive rattle - driving me nuts!

Started by Molly, December 12, 2008, 12:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

OK, not much point in trying to describe a rattle but this one's driving me nuts. It doesn't vary with engine or bike speed (as best I can tell) and I can hear it most when riding flat and level or on a descent (not really under load). I'm wondering if it's maybe the primary chain? I've been all over the bodywork and tightened every damn thing I can find. Aaaaagh...

Not expecting much insight. I'm just venting really. I could always just fit louder mufflers...

Panzer

Have heat shields on the pipes?
Might want to check them if you do.
            Just a thought.

My wife found mine....said I had a couple of screws loose....I'm still looking.  :crook:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Ajayrk

Does your bike have a headlight visor?  If so give it a few taps to see if it is loose.
AJ

harleyjt

2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

northbrun

Quote from: Panzer on December 12, 2008, 01:59:31 PM
My wife found mine....said I had a couple of screws loose....I'm still looking.  :crook:
:hyst:

Phu Cat

Molly, I chased a squeak for about 3 years.  I swore it was coming from the forks and it turned out to be the rubber insert holding the rear of the mufflers to back of the Ultra.  Sounds can be elusive.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Molly

Cheers. It's an '01 Road King Classic. Greased the muffler rubbers and that did cure on noise (only to draw my attention to another...).

:crook:

neale

The heel-Toe shifter on my FLHT had me searching for a while,I thought it was the primary chain making the noise.....but no. Try holding it and letting go and see if the noise comes and goes. I've got standard mufflers so I hear every rock rattling under the mudguards and every squeak the bike makes. :smile:

Princess Butt

I have a 1997 Road King with 75k on the clock. Here's what I've found rattling / loose over the years. Remember, this is the short list.

1. Exhaust heat shields. Particularly, the one on the front cylinder, the one closest to the head.

2. Brake Pedal. Still rattles. I just put my foot up against it.

3. Rear muffler isolators. Yeah, the rubber mounts under the saddlebags.

4. Spring clip on the windshield bracket.

5. Windshield bag

6. Headlight nacelle. That little trim strip down the middle.

7. Spotlight retaining ring.

8. Luggage rack passenger backrest bracket. It was broken where it meets the luggage rack.

9. Front fender trim.

10. Clutch cable adjuster. Make sure you have that little rubber boot.

At this point, I figure if it still runs and I'm not leaving a trail of parts down the road, I'm good.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

bouncingVman

The horn bracket came loose on mine once. Good luck. -Todd
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

MikeL

The little rubber piece mounted on the frame that keeps the kickstand from hitting the outer primary may have turned a little bit. Letting the kickstand come in contact with the outer primary. When I had this problem it was come and go, soft and loud.Depending on load and conditions. Thought it was a compensating sprocket coming loose.

MIKE

Molly

Thanks everyone. I'll work my way through the list....

wingie

my hardest to find was the regulator bracket was loose. wingie