April 27, 2024, 10:06:09 PM

News:

Starter circuit problem

Started by ST40, September 12, 2011, 11:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST40

Took my recently acquired '03 FXST on a 100 mile cruise on Sunday, ran perfectly.  Got home and tried to fire it up to put it in the garage, heard the main breaker (I think) snap, lost all voltage.  After letting it cool down, I noticed I still had dash lights with the switch on ACC position.   Eventually got voltage back to ign switch in both positions but it seemed like dimmer dash lights when it was in the ON position.   It would still click the solenoid a little before losing voltage again.   Each time it reset, the dash lights would get dimmer and go out.  Still pretty bright in the ACC position, though.  The previous owner told me it was a Die-Hard gel battery, but I'm not sure.  I did clean all the connectors and battery posts when I first got it.  The charging system was working good at that time. I didn't have a good meter with me last night, so I don't know about battery voltage yet.  You think that battery might have crapped out right then?  What else can I look for after I can get adequate voltage again?   Fuses are good.   Thanks    Marty
Marty

longshooter

ST40 .... Check your ignition switch and connections at it. It is not uncommom for the switch to get corroded or the connections to get loose and create high resistance. This condition will mean less available voltage to all circuits. Not unusual for dash lights to be brighter in the ACC position than in the ON positions as in the ON position, there are more circuits drawing on the available power.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

hdzcar

I recently had the same problem and it was bad connections at the battery. Sounded just like the main breaker was kicking.

fbn ent

:agree: Don't forget the KISS principal. (Keep It Simple Stoopid!)
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ST40

It appears my first hunch was correct.   Did a load test on the Die Hard (AGM) battery, and it failed miserably.  Got a dealer to send down a Harley battery, $130.00 with tax.  Got it installed and cleaned up some sketchy accessory wiring. and all seems to be good, Charging about 14 volts at about 2000 RPM.  We're going on another road trip later this morning to test it out.      Thanks.         Marty
Marty