September 20, 2024, 06:27:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

inner race walking

Started by road-dawgs1, September 01, 2010, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herko

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on September 07, 2010, 02:05:04 PM
John, are you able to overlay the position of the Seal & IPB onto that 2nd pic ?  Seams like the bearing would be  right on the start taper of the S&S Inner.

Good eye Gary. The outboard edge of the rollers in the IPB do in fact align right at the edge of the flat on the inner race surface. I spoke with two trusted bearing gurus about this application and whether this would be a detriment to the point of failure or other problems. They both said it would not be even with a slight overhang. Obviously not optimum, but adequate for this application.

An understandable overhang wear pattern would be apparent. But of all these OE type IPB/inner race bearings I've inspected any wear was virtually undetectable even on the high milers.  (one of the reasons I prefer the OE set up vs. the aftermarket versions). It's the slipping of the inner race that has been the issue.

On the S&S 56-5089, an adjustment in the length of the outer taper would be an advantage for this application.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.