March 28, 2024, 08:25:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Installing a 1996 flhtc seat on a 1990 flhtc

Started by Evo1, September 19, 2010, 08:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

I purchased a very nice seat from a 1996 flhtc to install on my 1990 flhtc. I was told that they would work, just a differant way of mounting. The 90 has two bolts, one on each side of the seat that go through the passanger grab handle. The 96 uses one bolt that goes through a tab on the back of the seat. When I put the 96 seat on the 90 the tab hits the tour pack and the tab is about two inches above the bracket for the tour pack. I could make a spacer to take up the two inches. Has anyone done this install before? If so how did you do it. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Evo1

PaJoe

I would like to learn more as well, any pictures would be a great help as well.

JohnS_Rosamond

The seat pan of the later seat should be the same (the load bearing parts of the seat pan should fit perfect on your fender).  However, the rear seat screw went into the tour pak mounting plate (the luggage rack base).  That part, to the rear of the seat changed just a little I believe.  On the seat that you're trying to use, the seat screw was very close to the tour pak.  Was extremely hard to get to as I recall as you had to push the seat foam out of the way with one hand to get to the screw (unless you had an FLHS or a 'Glide with the tour pak removed).

Evo1

Quote from: JohnS_Rosamond on September 20, 2010, 09:10:12 PM
The seat pan of the later seat should be the same (the load bearing parts of the seat pan should fit perfect on your fender).  However, the rear seat screw went into the tour pak mounting plate (the luggage rack base).  That part, to the rear of the seat changed just a little I believe.  On the seat that you're trying to use, the seat screw was very close to the tour pak.  Was extremely hard to get to as I recall as you had to push the seat foam out of the way with one hand to get to the screw (unless you had an FLHS or a 'Glide with the tour pak removed).
I thought the seat pans would be the same also, but they aren't. The 96 does not have the load bearing support block in the back that the 90 does. Also the 90 has a relief across the rear of the pan to go over the rear of the passenger grab bar. It is this lack of relief that holds the mounting tab several inches above the tour Pack mounting plate.

JohnS_Rosamond

Oh, good to know.  Thanks - though I'm sorry that this seat didn't work out for you.

e-glide90

On my 90 flhs I changed rack to 91,same with hand-rail, any seat from 91-96 fits.

les

I know this is a very old post, but I'm trying to get the seat off a 1991 Electra Glide Classic and I have no clue how it comes off.  Any help would be appreciated.

It feels like it's attached to the fender at the rear of the seat, but I can't see any fasteners. 

Scooter1-2putt

Les on my 96' FLHTCUI  the tour pack with the backrest needs to be open. There is a screw in a bracket attached to the seat in the center, you may need to push the back of the seat forward to see this screw head. Mine is a Allen screw 3/16 Allen wrench but some may have a Phillips head screw. Hope this helps if you haven't figured it out yet.
Z

Mark222

Les,

I have a little experience here.  The seat on my '91 FLHTCU had a seat handrail that sits under the seat and bolts directly to the fender, this is NOT where to look.  The seat attaches with a single screw at the very tail end of the seat where there is a little tab that sticks out the back of the seat.  This Tab and Bolt attach to the very front of the flat bracket bracket or shelf that is used to mount the Tour Pack itself.  The top of this bracket where the Tour Pack sits is about 8" x 10" and the tour pack bolts go right through / into this bracket.  This overbuilt assembly connects at the lower end to the frame tube extensions.  That bracket is all one piece.  And the front of that BIG UGLY piece of metal is where the little screw goes to attach the seat at the rear point.

IIRC I had to remove the tour pack because mine was mounted using the "forward" position mounting hardware to reveal the screw that needed to be removed to get the seat free.

I later ditched all that metal and put on a later model seat which attached to / through the fender and retro fitted the tour pack and mounting system to a later model quick detach set of brackets.

Your seat type was only used for 3 model years if I recall and does not work with the tour pack removed unless you leave this entire metal bracket / shelf in place that the tour pack actually sits on to be bolted in place.

I hope this helps?  If not, I might be able to send a pic or two of what the old system looked like on my '91.  Let me know.

Mark

david lee

im glad my fx seat is not that complicated. mines off in 20 seconds

Mark222

Quote from: david lee on August 17, 2020, 02:44:13 PM
im glad my fx seat is not that complicated. mines off in 20 seconds

I know Dave, our 85 FXEF models are simple machines, still running strong.    :crash:

thumper 823

Most these frames are near the same-or close enough.
if you look at my pix you will  see 2015 street Glide Tin bolted on a 1994 Evo.

seat, tank, bags fenders .side covers.
I will give it a number one as far as EZ and a 5 cause it will take a couple  days .
Now if this is your very first priject in life , your new swear words will be different.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH