April 28, 2024, 08:18:46 AM

News:

Oil in combustion chamber...

Started by tireater, December 18, 2008, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

How about I put it together and run it...If it carbons up the next plug...It's the guide...I'm getting pretty fast on this stuff....
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

wfolarry

Then I guess it's not enough to worry about. Run it! :teeth:

FLTRI

Quote from: tireater on December 20, 2008, 11:47:48 AM
How about I put it together and run it...If it carbons up the next plug...It's the guide...I'm getting pretty fast on this stuff....
You have it apart? Why not fix the problem before reassembling it? Or have I missed something here?
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

tireater

We put in new seals and the guide is not cracked...It may be fixed...
If I need to change the guide later, I'm only out a couple hours...
I have a bagger to ride on...I don't mind wrenching on my bar hopper... It's theraputic... :wink:

Sonny S.

Just curious.  Being as you have another bike to ride anyway, why not just put new guides in the head now ?
I realize it only takes a few hours to do later but ya still gotta do it, and buy gaskets.

tireater

How can I replace the guide w/o knowing it is bad...?

FLTRI

Quote from: tireater on December 20, 2008, 09:30:50 PM
How can I replace the guide w/o knowing it is bad...?
Well, the way we checked guides 40+ years ago without proper tools was to simply "feel the fit". Does the valve stem wobble around in the guide? Or does it slide up and down without wobbling much at all?
It would be nice if you could run it down to the nearest auto/motorcycle shop/machine shop. etc (that have the measurement tools) and ask them to measure the guide/valve stem to see if it has proper fit to the valve.
While I commend your attitude towards theropy you really don't want to have to pull it apart again just to do what could have been done this time, right? IMO, it's always better to use success theropy is better than failure theropy.  :wink:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

bigblock6912

tireater: did you have a valve spring compressor on the exhaust valve? can't really tell from the picture but it looks like the exhaust valve may have been hitting piston. the piston picture looks like there may be a mark in the exhaust pocket as well. just curious.

tireater

I don't think the ex. valve hit the piston...There was some carbon that flaked off...No marks on the valve at all...
We checked the fit before assembly...and opened up the intake valve pocket on the forged SE piston...
I will look very close at the top of the piston tomorrow before I clean it up...I bet there is no marks...
My indy. is very competent and was concerned that the base of the guide was leaking because of the buildup pattern...
The valves move as intended and the seals are working as designed...He said it all looked good so it must be the guide base leaking.