September 20, 2024, 08:28:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ultima 127 Mods.

Started by Mr. Torque, October 10, 2010, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Torque

Has anyone played with the Ultima 127 engines? They claim 140HP and 145 ft. lbs. are these true or fictitious numbers?.I've read that with a little head work and a cam change they have actually made better than 150 HP. How likely is that? How dependable are these engines?   :scratch:

Reddog74usa

You need to talk to John Sachs. He runs one of those and can get you where you want to be with that Ultima 127. 1st class guy and no B.S.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

1997bagger

I will second Reddogs recomendation of telling John Sachs of your needs with the Ultima, Jireh is discounting the 140 on ebay but get a couple rear tires throwed in.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

Mr. Torque

Thanks, How do I get a hold of John Sachs?

Hillside Motorcycle

John is in Fla.
BTW, we've seen almost 150 ft/lbs in the 120"s with a Wood 9B, S&S g/Thunderjet/Rhineharts.
Chris, I think I've got John's number on file.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

speed limit

Mine has been a work in progress, I had a set of S.T.D. stage 4  oval port heads made for it set up @ 10.5  with S&S oval port manifold 48 mikuni with race back, wood 9f cam. superzilla pipe. makes 150 ft. lbs and 139 h.p.  going to bump up compression to 11.1 and go with a S&S 640 cam.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

1997bagger

SACHS RACE BIKES
1601 N.W. 99 AVENUE
PLANTATION FL 33322
954-473-2980
dynalee@bellsouth.net
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

jsachs1

Quote from: Mr. Torque on October 10, 2010, 01:11:30 PM
Has anyone played with the Ultima 127 engines? They claim 140HP and 145 ft. lbs. are these true or fictitious numbers?.I've read that with a little head work and a cam change they have actually made better than 150 HP. How likely is that? How dependable are these engines?   :scratch:

Out of the box,a 127 Ultima is in the 120 - low 130 range.You can make real good power,150,and the same in torque.It'll take more than a LITTLE head work.
IMO,they're a good "hot rod" motor.Naturally as the power goes up,so does the pms factor.  :wink:
John

Mr. Torque

Thanks to all. John your opinion on the S&S 640 with the Ultima 1.73 rockers over the Ultima 127 cam. Bump compression to 10.8 ?

jsachs1

October 11, 2010, 05:03:43 PM #9 Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:06:38 PM by jsachs1
I like the Ultima cam.I make good power with it,and NO excessive valve guide wear to boot. :teeth:
Very close to an S&S 640,with 1.62 rockers
John

partycrasher

Are the ultima motors limited to evo style??

Reddog74usa

No, They also make a 96 inch Shovelhead
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

prodrag1320

we`ve done alot of the 127`s,mostly out of the box.ive done some headwork & other mods on mine(got 142 rwhp),but i know johns got 150+ out of them

Nowhereman

Well it's 2014 and my 127 is still going strong.
I cleaned up the exhaust a little and polished the port after a little grinding.
That's it.
The bottom end is strong, after some kids put dirt into my oil bag at a Red wood run some years ago, I pulled it apart and found no damage.
The oil pump has spooge in it but we got it all cleaned out and she still runs well.
I ran a 48 Mik on her for the last few years but, you needed a pump to keep that float bowl full.
It would run lean at the top.
I prefer my 45 Mik that basically has 48 mik components in it.
Fattest needle and needle jet (clip all the way on top), 190 main 32 idle jet 1 3/4 turns out, main jet extension to keep it in the fuel.
Went to two piece rockers to get it to fit into the FLSTF frame.
A bike that HD should of built years ago.
Runs like a raped ape but, I'd let the OL ride it to the store if she wanted.
- From Nowhere in particular

speed limit

Same here 60,000 miles and still running strong I did a .010 over in 2011 when I bumped the compression up my plan this year is to replace pistons with 4.312 and make it a 131 @ 10.8 I run a 48 mik with 1/4" float bowel spacer I also replaced the boarzilla with cycle shack M pipes
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Nowhereman

Quote from: speed limit on February 23, 2014, 06:48:34 AM
Same here 60,000 miles and still running strong I did a .010 over in 2011 when I bumped the compression up my plan this year is to replace pistons with 4.312 and make it a 131 @ 10.8 I run a 48 mik with 1/4" float bowel spacer I also replaced the boarzilla with cycle shack M pipes

That 1/4 spacer should help a lot.
Mikuni makes a vacuum pump that works nice if you can hide it under your tank.
Just change over to the smaller needle valve if you go that way.
I played with one and boy do you pick up top end power.
Interesting you dropped the Boarzilla as I have heard good things about them.
Not familiar with the M pipes from cycle shack though.
I think when I do the top end I'll do the same.
Can't ever get enough of cubes, it's like a drug.

Is it OK to buy a 120-124 from Jireh which was test run or have one built buy a shop?

Nowhereman

A good shop is a good shop.
If you like the way they build go that route.
Personally, I steer clear of mass production places as they invite too any variables.
Not to say they are at all bad, it's just my way of thinking.
You don't need to pre run a motor if your good at building em.

Admiral Akbar

Where did you get the spacer? Vulcan?

Max

build it

I might be interested in a couple spacers...
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

prodrag1320

Quote from: 007 on February 23, 2014, 07:44:48 AM
Is it OK to buy a 120-124 from Jireh which was test run or have one built buy a shop?

we like to get them unassembled & build them in house

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 01, 2014, 06:37:31 PM

Where did you get the spacer? Vulcan?

Max

Found em..

http://www.mrturbo.com/catalog/106_carbfuel/carb_fuel.html

Second item in the list..

Max

Nowhereman

They comment that it is for a 42 mik.
Gotta check to make sure everything is kosher with 45s and 48s.

build it

Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Nowhereman

Here's my solution guys.

pn. DF44-211  Mikuni vacuum pump. 14 liters / hour
pn. 786-27001-2.3 smaller float bowl valve.

I also run a deep style drain nut with extender for the main.
It makes no difference if you make the bowl larger, your hamstrung by the delivery amount via gravity feed.
The solution is to force feed the bowl, run the main as deep into the bowl as you can.
The smaller valve is needed to restrict the gas volume being pumped.
You will have a full bowl all the time without it pumping onto the ground at idle.
The pump is small enough to hide under the tank and requires no maintenance.
You definitely will feel the difference on the top end pull. :chop: