Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

If you are in BC I would check with Russel at Lonewolf Performance

Wicked

Nope - other end of the country! Far from anywheres...  :teeth:
Paul

Don D

kd

How about HV in New Brunswick I  believe.
KD

Wicked

Yes - Dan or HV would be great to talk with, but even a round trip to HV would be a day and a half plus shop time. Can't do it....
Guess I'm looking to find if ya'll think my troubleshooting leading me to a corrupted  ECU is sound??   :pop:
I really do like to fix the problems that come in front of me....  :wink:
Paul 

Ajayrk

June 29, 2015, 06:24:48 AM #30 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:30:11 AM by Ajayrk
Quote from: Wicked on June 28, 2015, 10:56:30 AM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on June 28, 2015, 10:31:52 AM
Would be best to test by using a known good ECU before buying one new.
That would be great except parts are scarce around here....
The questionable one is 32423-02 on a '02 FLHTCUI. The only good one I have here is from a
'03 FLHRCVO 32923-03.
Would that be usable? May run, albeit poorly, or at least check function of injectors on power-up?
Paul

I checked an 02 with an 03 ultra ECM.  The fuel spray stoped but the 03 was from a bike with security and the 02 would start and run only briefly.  You may have to have the 03 ECM reprogramed.
AJ

Geezer_Glider

Just as a sanity check, unplug lead to injector and cycle key on. Any spray? Check both leads of injector to case for short. Check lead to ECU for short to ground. Remember, any sort to ground on ECU side will fire injector. Jusy hate to see you spend extra money unless needed, but doesn't sound good for the ECU.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Wicked

June 29, 2015, 12:01:02 PM #32 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:03:42 PM by Wicked
Ok now.....   Between what you and Max says makes more sense to me! I did check wires shorting to each other, next I'll check shorts to ground. Thanks! It'll be a bit before I get back to it...
Will also check with just injectors unplugged to see if they stuck open. Think I did that before but...
Paul

Wicked

Got at it a bit more today....    Thanks for the help guys!!
Found the trigger terminal for the front injector from the ECM to be almost completely shorted to ground!!   No wonder she was a little hard on fuel.....  :wink:
Now on the hunt for a ECM....

Max - I believe the injector might have survived prolonged "on" state... 
With a "close" ecm, it appeared to squirt properly.
Will report when I find a proper ECM....
Paul

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Wicked on July 11, 2015, 03:29:20 PM
Got at it a bit more today....    Thanks for the help guys!!
Found the trigger terminal for the front injector from the ECM to be almost completely shorted to ground!!   No wonder she was a little hard on fuel.....  :wink:
Now on the hunt for a ECM....

Max - I believe the injector might have survived prolonged "on" state... 
With a "close" ecm, it appeared to squirt properly.
Will report when I find a proper ECM....
Paul

Sounds good.. I've not burned out an injector yet so I don't know what they can take.. They have about 14 ohms if resistance which is about 10-14 watts if there is 12-14 volts across the injector.. That could easily be enough to burn it out if left on for any period of time... I suspect that the ECU has a current limiting circuit on the driver to keep from doing so.. Also with fuel flowing through the injector there will be some cooling..

Wicked

Put this one to bed.....    Original front injector fried - open all the time. ECM bad - front injector grounding circuit almost completely grounded anytime the key was on. Replaced both. New updated ECM comes blank, needs a dealer download once installed. My shop truck was layed up so owner took it to dealer. They did the deed for less than half what they quoted me....  :nix: !!
Everybody's happy!
Paul

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Wicked on August 14, 2015, 06:08:56 PM
Put this one to bed.....    Original front injector fried - open all the time. ECM bad - front injector grounding circuit almost completely grounded anytime the key was on. Replaced both. New updated ECM comes blank, needs a dealer download once installed. My shop truck was layed up so owner took it to dealer. They did the deed for less than half what they quoted me....  :nix: !!
Everybody's happy!
Paul

Ahh so it did fry the injector..

Wicked

Quote from: Max Headflow on August 14, 2015, 08:54:04 PM

Ahh so it did fry the injector..
The original, yes. Not the replacement tho....  even tho it was energized longer than it should have been whilst doing my poor troubleshooting....  :embarrassed: !!
He's a regular so we'll be keeping an eye on it....
Paul

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

86fxwg

Glad u got it rolling! This is the kind of  issue a scope comes in handy.  :wink:

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx