March 28, 2024, 09:40:38 PM

News:

V-Rod market

Started by tomcat64, October 28, 2010, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikonDoofus

Interesting read, I walked through the dealership on Xmas eve and spotted one out of the corner of my eye. Cant get it out of my mind. '14 but they didn't think they could come down any...I am going to do a test ride first this time.  :slap:
Gary
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

rbabos

Quote from: NikonDoofus on December 26, 2014, 03:19:03 AM
Interesting read, I walked through the dealership on Xmas eve and spotted one out of the corner of my eye. Cant get it out of my mind. '14 but they didn't think they could come down any...I am going to do a test ride first this time.  :slap:
Gary
The stock tune is not a great indicator of how well these engines will run. Keep that in mind if you find below 4k it's somewhat jerky. That goes away with a decent tune and it will chug along nice and smooth in the lower gears and lower rpms. Stock bike will still boogie along quite nicely from 4k to rev limit. That will hook you. :hyst:
Ron

NikonDoofus

Thanks for the info, More just seating position and overall feel. I will put mids on it but I doubt they have one with mids to ride.
Gary

citabria

Be sure you take it for good long ride before committing. I bought a new DX in 07, installed a race tuner and thunder header, It ran nice but rode and handled for s****, and had a stupid seating position, I replaced the bars, seat and pegs to make it a little better and replaced the rear shocks with Works shocks (a big help), it also had way too much rake on the front end (I think this has been corrected), fuel mileage is poor and every kid on a 600 will want to race you and WILL beat you. Some people like them (not many). Good luck.

NikonDoofus

Yes I am hoping that will be today, I would like to trade in a bike so I am expecting to get hammered on that. But I am running out of room  :slap:
Gary
Quote from: citabria on December 26, 2014, 12:52:34 PM
Be sure you take it for good long ride before committing. I bought a new DX in 07, installed a race tuner and thunder header, It ran nice but rode and handled for s****, and had a stupid seating position, I replaced the bars, seat and pegs to make it a little better and replaced the rear shocks with Works shocks (a big help), it also had way too much rake on the front end (I think this has been corrected), fuel mileage is poor and every kid on a 600 will want to race you and WILL beat you. Some people like them (not many). Good luck.

clawdog60

Need an adventure touring bike off the v-rod platform to replace the xb12x.
Leaning toward the off road side.

brent

I liked the vrod desser style shown in thp

motorhogman

I rented a V-Rod at Laconia NH during bike week several years ago. I ride an FLH but just wanted to try a V Rod..I was so impressed with the smooth power and great handling I seriously thought about buying one. Then the wife wanted to know WTF are you going to do with it,, had my 73 FX sitting registered and insured  and never rode it..  Most all of our rides were all dayers or long weekend, or week or more.. So that shelved the idea of a 3rd bike... Then I hoped for years that they would put that power train in a Dresser and it never happened.. Every one I know that rides is old school.. 30, 40, 50 years and I hate to say it but they are frikkin narrow minded and won't even look at the V rod.. Not sure what HD needs to do for marketing but I like that power train. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

rbabos

Quote from: motorhogman on August 19, 2015, 08:02:13 AM
I rented a V-Rod at Laconia NH during bike week several years ago. I ride an FLH but just wanted to try a V Rod..I was so impressed with the smooth power and great handling I seriously thought about buying one. Then the wife wanted to know WTF are you going to do with it,, had my 73 FX sitting registered and insured  and never rode it..  Most all of our rides were all dayers or long weekend, or week or more.. So that shelved the idea of a 3rd bike... Then I hoped for years that they would put that power train in a Dresser and it never happened.. Every one I know that rides is old school.. 30, 40, 50 years and I hate to say it but they are frikkin narrow minded and won't even look at the V rod.. Not sure what HD needs to do for marketing but I like that power train.
I understand. Went from a softail to 2013 v rod and no way would go back. Took one out for a ride back in 2012 and felt to make the softail anywhere near as good as this with brakes and suspension, it was never going to happen. Softail had a 120 as well but the v would smoke it out of the box with warranty. .  Price is the down side of the v rod. Plenty of people like them in the bike community but won't pay what MoCo wants for them. If you thought the one you rode was sweet, get a decent tune and it's freaking awesome. Ole has a 750 shadow so I'm held back in cruise but with a good tune this thing will chug along at 2700 -3k and not miss a beat. No it's not lugging. :banghead:  Stock tune won't do that, which is why they say to run it around 4k and up. Typical excuse for a lame factory tune. Off by myself, usually 4k rpms cruise. I cursed at the softail more then anyone should but the v always ends my day with a smile and I'm not all beat to ratshit from vibration as well.
Basic issue is they are overpriced for metric crowd to branch over to HD  and the the old school guys are stuck in a rut with tradition to make the move. It's a black sheep but I like it. :sheep: :sheep:
Ron

motorhogman

rbabos,   the one I rented had pipes, and tune with a custom paint job.. It went like hell after getting off the road couch and onto that.. Forgot to mention I had test drove a Buell the day before at the HD exhibit at Loudon race track and thought I was going to get a similar ride with the V Rod...Not even close...Had the wife on the back seat and got into 3rd gear a bit and up came the front wheel  as smooth as glass. Very controllable power.. She wasn't to happy  but I was GRINNING :) 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

NikonDoofus

I find myself looking at these yet again. Small lot has a nice 14 muscle that I might be able to swing a decent deal on.
Gary

rbabos

Quote from: NikonDoofus on August 20, 2015, 02:53:03 AM
I find myself looking at these yet again. Small lot has a nice 14 muscle that I might be able to swing a decent deal on.
Gary
I know what you mean. Took me over a year until I caved in. :hyst: First bike I rode was stock and stock tune and was alright but the second bike I test rode with a dyno tune , topless and pipe left such an impression I couldn't shake it . This was a 2012 with reduced reach pegs and bars. Prior years I could not ride due to too much clam shell effect on my 5'8" frame. I remember bringing it home and wondering,  :wtf: did I just do and did I make a mistake. Coming up to 3 years on it now and still love it. No regrets at all. If I feel the need to wrench, there's a shovelhead up the road for my grease fix. :hyst:
Ron

clawdog60

Wish I could adapt the vrod engine trans to my road king frame. Then I could at least eliminate all of these unwanted twinkie noises. :wink:

Mdanehart

I have actually considering moving my 14 FLHX for a VRod, always wanted had an interest. Concerned about wind buffeting and leg room for my very long legs.

rbabos

Quote from: Mdanehart on August 20, 2015, 04:51:06 PM
I have actually considering moving my 14 FLHX for a VRod, always wanted had an interest. Concerned about wind buffeting and leg room for my very long legs.
I would ride one to be sure. They are not for everyone. Long legs might be a problem since from 2012 they moved the pegs back for us short ass people. Mind you, I believe the mounts can be rotated 180, then they are extended pegs. The Muscle has a longer reach, as it comes.  I could never get a windshield to work to give smooth air. Went to full face. No buffeting at all with that.
Ron

cig

Rifle makes a taller windshield and fork air deflectors for the F. I get no buffeting on mine with that combo. I've got nothing but calm air around my face even in triple digit speeds.    :baby:
cig 
Alton, Illinois

rbabos

Quote from: cig on August 21, 2015, 04:20:20 AM
Rifle makes a taller windshield and fork air deflectors for the F. I get no buffeting on mine with that combo. I've got nothing but calm air around my face even in triple digit speeds.    :baby:
I've not tried that one, but yes they need to be tall. That much I discovered. Fork deflectors, now that's a bonus and a definite requirement on them due to all the roundness around the air box lid.
Ron

jimbohand

I believe  the vrod is not quite fast enough, they need to offer a turbo edition, from the factory.

rbabos

Quote from: jimbohand on October 28, 2015, 04:43:19 AM
I believe  the vrod is not quite fast enough, they need to offer a turbo edition, from the factory.
Trask. :wink:
Ron

sfmichael

Which model has the most 'normal' seating position? I'm only 5-10/11 and legs are not long. Ron I know what you mean about "clamshell" seating position and that's why these have never appealed to me.

I like the look (although some years/models have an exhaust system that's laughable) and I can definitely appreciate the engineering and potent engine. But the bike needs to be comfortable before I can justify one. I have a Deuce for day trips (bar hopper if you will) so the VRod would have to be all day comfortable.

And cheap  :smiled:
Colorado Springs, CO.

build it

February 05, 2016, 08:35:12 AM #70 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:40:38 AM by build it
Anyone make a mid peg or rear set type deal? That'd be sweet.

**Harley makes a set of mids that look good.

Now, if they turned, or could be made to turn this would be my next bike for sure. Sure ain't light weight either.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

hd06myway

the V-Rod suffered from the same thing the Beull did, it was an odd ball in terms of category.  Like the Beull before it, the V-Rod was NOT a sport bike.... nor was it, like the Beull, a Cruiser either... that's the problem.... yea both bikes were "faster" than the traditional Harley's but neither was what a "sport bike" rider wanted, they're are other real pedigree sport bikes out there, including the EBR 1190RX & SX (Eric Beull) which Beull designed and built after Harley dropped him.  at 185hp and 101 lbs ft tq. Harley would have been better off keeping EB and let him design and build a real sport bike, not a massaged Sportster which only competed against itself.... much like the V-Rod. 

If Harley was smart... they'd take that V-Rod motor put it in a completely new designed bike, TO GO HEAD TO HEAD with the Indian Scout, who's motor is almost identical in spec's & power output as the Vrod, and brand it as the all-new 21st Century Sportster!

Hal64hd

Quote from: hd06myway on October 13, 2017, 11:19:27 AM
the V-Rod suffered from the same thing the Buell did, it was an odd ball in terms of category.  Like the Buell before it, the V-Rod was NOT a sport bike.... nor was it, like the Buell, a Cruiser either... that's the problem.... yea both bikes were "faster" than the traditional Harley's but neither was what a "sport bike" rider wanted, they're are other real pedigree sport bikes out there, including the EBR 1190RX & SX (Erik Buell) which Buell designed and built after Harley dropped him.  at 185hp and 101 lbs ft tq. Harley would have been better off keeping EB and let him design and build a real sport bike, not a massaged Sportster which only competed against itself.... much like the V-Rod. 

If Harley was smart... they'd take that V-Rod motor put it in a completely new designed bike, TO GO HEAD TO HEAD with the Indian Scout, who's motor is almost identical in spec's & power output as the Vrod, and brand it as the all-new 21st Century Sportster!

Fixed it for ya. It's Erik not Eric, and Buell not Beull

Panzer

That a boy Hal......... :up:   :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

While I don't disagree with a new frame and going after the Scout, I think part of the issue is that the motor is bigger and taller, probably heavier, leading to packaging problems in a smaller frame. I think that's what lead to the non-traditional ergonomics of the V-Rod that many could not get past.
I also heard that the motor would not pass euro 4 emissions, and that also lead to its end. Not positive on that, though. I also heard that about the Victory motor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.