May 08, 2024, 03:19:13 AM

News:

crankshafts

Started by sbcharlie, December 03, 2010, 04:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

2011 Touring

Piston pin fit (loose) 0.0007-0.00012 (in)

Flywheels
Runout (shaft measured in case) 0.000 -0.010 (in)
Runout (measured in truing stand) 0.000-0.004 (in)
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Admiral Akbar

QuoteI don't doubt that it makes for a very strong small end. I just wonder about long term wear.
Better run Synthetic  :wink:

Just as long as it ain't Royal Purple..   :hyst:

Max

Sonny S.

Thanks Tattoo,

So that's the same as the 03 & up rods with bushings.
I think they are a ..replace at .002
...........time will tell .....

Max... nope...don't want that sludge   :wink:

Tsani

When did they change to the "Dickhead" rods? I haven't seen a pair yet. Are pistons tapered to fit? Weird deal.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

ultraswede

The tapered small end (d... head) is common on diesel car engines. ( for example 295 ft lbs@ 1750 rpm = 74 ft lbs each piston.)
Its a great way of maximicing the combustion load-bearing surface of the crank pin,
and at the same time maximicing the strength of the piston,
if the piston has the corresponding shape in the pin bore section.

It might be a way to make cast pistons survive, where a forged piston might othervice be called for.
Cast pistons is always a better choice, if they survive the running conditions.

Sonny S.

I didn't think Harley came up with the idea on there own , so last night I did a little google searching and saw that VW, and even the Chevy LS9 are using a tapered rod. Chevy is using Titanium rods though. Both used bushing.

EngineNut

I believe the German engine component manufacture Mahle originated this rod design. Many manufactures, including Harley, use Mahle manufactured engine components.

Click on the image and read what Mahle says.

wurk_truk

The 120R has a full rod with bushing... not a dickhead rod.  If the dickhead and bushingless is so 'great'...  I wonder why SE didn't use it for the top engine?
Oh No!

BVHOG

Even some John Deere industrial engines have tapered rods.  Wurk, the 103 06 SE bikes were already using the tapered rods.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

wurk_truk

But Jims pics of the 120r looked like a full rod???
Oh No!

FSG

Quote from: Tsani on December 15, 2010, 08:48:00 AM
When did they change to the "Dickhead" rods? I haven't seen a pair yet. Are pistons tapered to fit? Weird deal.

The appeared in 2007
  Twin Cam 96â,,¢  Connecting Rods and Pistons
• Lighter pistons    and connecting rods for lower reciprocating weight
• Shorter wrist pin

Refer Page 11 of the 2007 Model Year Technical Forum

Tsani

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

barny7655

Well all of us that have comp releases may be saved from the crank moving there halves, may be the electric comp releases hooked up through a brake pressure switch will activate the releases thus not causing lock up ,when brakes are applied in that stop we dont want to have , easy to do ,its just reversing the action of the solinode,and when brakes released the comp releases close , any way just a thought , just needs and pressure switch, high pressure,,only stops this side of the crank movement,does any one know what side of the crank that moves on the pin? we think only of the bare crank shaft, i seem to see the comp assembly on one side, with the alternator,the other running some what free with cam crank gear,so when it locks one would assumme that the left side is the one that gets miss placed on the pin,?please any one say what your ideas are on what side moves ,cheers Barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

moose

now thats thinking outside of the box
Moose aka Glenn-

Big Dan

I don't think it would matter. In a "bad braking" situation the crank is stopped dead by the primary chain, via the rear wheel, through the clutch. A crank spinning at 3k rpm (or more) doesn't care what the compression is when it gets stopped dead by the primary chain.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

smoserx1

:agree:

I wonder if this is a good argument for anti-lock brakes?

Dennis The Menace

Maybe a jake brake, auto engaged on decel.  It would eliminate decel pop.  lol

jsachs1

Just got in 2 sets of wheels for 103" builds.Both had rod bushings,,,,,,,,,,The dealer just ordered them from the MoCo last week. :scratch:
John

Tattoo

Quote from: jsachs1 on December 17, 2010, 03:35:13 PM
Just got in 2 sets of wheels for 103" builds.Both had rod bushings,,,,,,,,,,The dealer just ordered them from the MoCo last week. :scratch:
John

Do you happen to have a part# for those flywheels?
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"