May 09, 2024, 12:40:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

O2 sensors differences, pros and cons

Started by 1FSTRK, January 04, 2011, 05:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Quote from: blusmbl on March 19, 2011, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: FLTRI on January 17, 2011, 04:22:21 PM
Quote from: Rider57 on January 16, 2011, 04:50:56 PM
I knew that tuning by O2's was not the way to go especially narrow band (switching). Junk.
:up: :up: :hyst:
QuoteResponse time runs about 2.6.

Is that 2.6 seconds? If so how do you tune a WOT acceleration run?

Here's what it takes to properly tune a bike:
http://www.horiba.com/us/en/automotive-test-systems/products/emission-measurement-systems/analytical-systems/standard-emissions/details/mexa-7000-version-3-930/
Without it you may as well use a screwdriver and a hammer. :wink:
Bob

Those Horibas are only as good as the techs servicing them.  I work in labs that have 40+ CVS analyzers, and you'll run into issues with them on average of once a week.  We've also learned to take modal data with a grain of salt- too inconsistent, especially from one unit to another.

We use the expensive Horiba Mexa-700's for in-vehicle development, they're something like $5k just for an a/f meter.  The sensor alone is $500, and we will lose multiple sensors per year.  They're all junk unless your sensor comes with a calibration sheet. :D

-Nick
Good and accurate info, thanks.
I believe this statement:
QuoteThey're all junk unless your sensor comes with a calibration sheet.
is a little over the top. I believe "junk" is not really an accurate assessment of these sensors.
I see far more "junk" operators than "junk" sensors. :wink:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

blusmbl

Agree, was slightly over the top.  Honestly for the level of accuracy everybody is striving for it really isn't that huge of a deal, and if I didn't have access a gold-plated Horiba I'd buy an LM1.  It's close enough.  For OEM stuff that uses an air meter, you're lucky to get +/- 3% accuracy over all temp ranges compared to the volumetric efficiency calculation anyway!
-Nick

FLTRI

Quote from: blusmbl on March 19, 2011, 01:16:30 PM
Agree, was slightly over the top.  Honestly for the level of accuracy everybody is striving for it really isn't that huge of a deal, and if I didn't have access a gold-plated Horiba I'd buy an LM1.  It's close enough.  For OEM stuff that uses an air meter, you're lucky to get +/- 3% accuracy over all temp ranges compared to the volumetric efficiency calculation anyway!
-Nick
Yep, we strive for great running bikes without the incredible expense to get more accurate.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Rider57

Quote from: blusmbl on March 19, 2011, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: FLTRI on January 17, 2011, 04:22:21 PM
Quote from: Rider57 on January 16, 2011, 04:50:56 PM
I knew that tuning by O2's was not the way to go especially narrow band (switching). Junk.
:up: :up: :hyst:
QuoteResponse time runs about 2.6.

Is that 2.6 seconds? If so how do you tune a WOT acceleration run?

Here's what it takes to properly tune a bike:
http://www.horiba.com/us/en/automotive-test-systems/products/emission-measurement-systems/analytical-systems/standard-emissions/details/mexa-7000-version-3-930/
Without it you may as well use a screwdriver and a hammer. :wink:
Bob

Those Horibas are only as good as the techs servicing them.  I work in labs that have 40+ CVS analyzers, and you'll run into issues with them on average of once a week.  We've also learned to take modal data with a grain of salt- too inconsistent, especially from one unit to another.

We use the expensive Horiba Mexa-700's for in-vehicle development, they're something like $5k just for an a/f meter.  The sensor alone is $500, and we will lose multiple sensors per year.  They're all junk unless your sensor comes with a calibration sheet. :D

-Nick
I have been working with Horibas for many years and, yes weekly calibrations are manditory as well as 2 point and 3 point gas checks. As it stands now, this system is EPA ready and has yet to fail any audit.
This FID oven is a costly replacement item, $3400 was the quote last week.
107ci, 408b, 10:5:1, Heads by Wes Brown, Thunders.

harley66

:rtfb:

I installed the O2 sensor on 2005 Dyna.
J "I read, a break-in period (6000 kms) is required to have 100% AFR values ​​on the tables. SondesO2 The new offer of 50%.

What do you think

Thank you for your answers      -translate Google-