May 07, 2024, 09:22:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

which schocks

Started by longrider1951, December 21, 2008, 04:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrider1951

I have an 08 FXDC with shi**y stock shocks.  I'm looking to upgrade to after market shocks and have narrowed it down to Works Performance, Progressive and Ikon in that order.  I'm leaning towards the Works Performance because I can get them in a 13" oversize.  I like to push the corners a bit and the stock shocks just don't do it; they tend to "pogo" and set up a rear wobble.

Which shock would you go for, price not a factor.
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot! (don't ask how I know)

roadglide65

Ive had my Works for 2 years now and love them. What sold me on them is they make them to you riding style, weight, and if you ride solo. or two up. They are also rebuildable  which they say you should send them back in after 50 or 60 M miles.

sharkoilfield

Whichever has the easiest rebound dampening adjustment...the Works sound good. I've got Progressive 418's on the back of my FXDXT; after shocks then you'll want to do the forks, then the engine mounts, then the wheels/tires, then the brakes...that's what I did in my searce for improved handling on my FXDXT.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: sharkoilfield on December 22, 2008, 08:03:24 AM
Whichever has the easiest rebound dampening adjustment...the Works sound good. I've got Progressive 418's on the back of my FXDXT; after shocks then you'll want to do the forks, then the engine mounts, then the wheels/tires, then the brakes...that's what I did in my searce for improved handling on my FXDXT.

Doesn't the FXDXT have the upgraded rear shocks? I've got a 2000 FXDX with over 40K and the rear shocks feel every bit as good as the new 418s I got on an FXR. Fork springs needed spacing though. Max

Eglider05

Quote from: roadglide65 on December 21, 2008, 04:47:14 PM
Ive had my Works for 2 years now and love them. What sold me on them is they make them to you riding style, weight, and if you ride solo. or two up. They are also rebuildable  which they say you should send them back in after 50 or 60 M miles.

I agree, I've had Progressive 440's on 3 bikes and although much better than stock I prefer the Works Street Trackers I put on earlier this year.

Rick

sharkoilfield

The stockers were excellent, but 13.25". I went with the 12.5" 418s and lowered the tubes into the trees 3/4", lets me sit flat-footed and makes it easier/safer to push backwards loaded 2-up...now the wife has her own ride; may go back to stock length...

Bakon

Very happy with Progressive 440's, cheaper black ones.
wasting time

rossl

I have progressive 440's on my Dyna.  I don't think they worth the $$$$.

tireater

I got longer Works shocks with a 4 way hand adjuster for the St Bob...I like them...!  :up:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

longrider1951

December 26, 2008, 09:19:50 AM #9 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:22:21 AM by longrider1951
Tire Eater, Do you find you use the 4 way adjustment much?  I mostly ride 1 up and am wondering if the adjustable feature is worth the extra $$.  I plan on going with 13" on the length, that's about 1/2" over.  How much longer did you go?
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot! (don't ask how I know)