May 09, 2024, 12:53:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cams?

Started by robgogo, December 23, 2008, 07:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robgogo

Hello newbie here. long time reader  first time poster HELP please point in the right direction 01 rk stage one.(big-sucker,ful-sac,wild pigs,pcIII)stock compression have read here that cams need to match compression just looking for bolt-ins for my chain drive 50,000mi need to replace tensioners so thought I would put in cams.Have thought of TW6`s but don`t know with stock comp any suggestions would be apprecaited. ride solo allaround highway & town. Thanks all you learned gurus in advance.

Bakon

Not pushing andrews, just the advise.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motorcycle/cams/choosing_a_cam.htm

01 bolt in max lift is .510 so stay in there.
S&S 510 is one, likes to kick in at 2800 rpm but pulls to the rev limit. Below 2800 you will feel no difference over stock. Alot of SE 203 guys are happy.

If you normally ride below 3k then you really want an intake close earlier than 38.

Lots of bolt ins for an 88 will weaken the bottom where 90 percent of your riding probably is.
wasting time

mayor

congrats on breaking the first post barrier!   :teeth:

....not much more to add on what SHO and '05 posted.  The only other note is your stock cams intake close is 34 degree's (assuming that the PC3 is for an EFI  :wink:).  Any cam with a latter intake close will potentially take away a little bottom end torque, and any cam with an earlier intake close will potentially increase it if stock compression is maintained.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

flht99b

I've had both the Andrews TW-21 and TW-26 in a nearly stock 88" bagger ( Hi flow AC & mufflers ) and the TW-26A in a 95" bagger. If no other engine work is anticipated and remaining at 88", the TW-21 is the better choice.  If going for 95" and possibly '06 heads or ported early heads, the TW-26A is the better choice IMHO.  Ed M.

les

I little off topic, but when you take your cam plate off check the part number on your oil pump.  If it ends with an "A" then I recomend replacing your oil pump with another new stock OEM oil pump.  The "A" models had problems with scavanging and many of those allowed a bit of wet sumping.  The new oil pump part number should end with a "B"...that's if they have not come out with a "C" version since I last checked.

notarheli

I went with the Andrews 26's and used a +4 key.  That gave me 85tq and 80hp in a stock motor.  The +4 key helps for the lack of compression and also lowered the torque curve a bit.  Then, if you do more mods, you have a good cam and can just replace the key...or not.

Don D

Would respectfully disagree with changing the OP
The earlier pumps had wider scavenging gears and no spring washer. They were updated because of the softails draining the tank when sitting. The spring washer acts as an antidrainback valve.
I was scrounging old pumps when guys were pitching them and like them better.
Would just use a TW21 in the 88", no 4° offset needed, then ride and enjoy it.
TW21 in a stock 99 95" bagger I did with all stock parts and slip-ons yielded 82hp 95tq and it hit 90 tq at 2,000. Was a decent runner for a MM injected ride

flht99b

05FLHTC, didn't personally run the TW-21 in my own 95" bagger but know those that did and on roll on's on the highway, they can't match my 95" TW-26A bagger.  The TW-26A seems to produce more torque at 3K and above. Either cam works well, IMHO a TW-26A with a little more compression ( I'm at a real 9.4 to 1 static cold and 180 CCP ) produces more torque than a stock 95" at 9.0 to 1 w/TW-21's over 3K and is equal to if not better than a 9.0 to 1 with a TW-21 below 3K. Both cams work well in the heavier bikes.  I think the original poster was just looking to change out his cam tensioner shoes and was looking at a cam since he'd be in there already.  Heck, anything is better than the EPA cam that comes stock.  Merry Christmas to all.  Ed M.

calgary56

Just some cam numbers

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

crazy joe

robgogo  If you do go to a new cam I would like to suggest going to the new style
cam chain set up. Theres a Gentlemen at this site that knows about the complete kit
if you do go that way, his name is Herko and you can find him in the Members section
I have seen the kit and it has everything you need to do the job plus he
can answer any questions you have.

robgogo

Thanks for all the replys it difinetly helps with the decision(thinking 26`s) process like that suggestion with the +4 key however am curious as to what it would do to compression,(notarheli). was using the big boyz calc and a +2 key looks like a good combo-(on paper at least) Thanks for all the help any further replys on the key issue would be welcome!