May 08, 2024, 06:25:26 PM

News:

Inner cam bearings install

Started by kevmac, December 26, 2008, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmac

Words on the bearings go in the case or face out?  thanx
07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

TXChop

I've always installed them face out so you can see them when installed.

Sonny S.

crazycalvin

Makes no difference, but install them with writing out so you can see the bearing info without removing the bearings.  Later, Calvin.

FSG

Quote from: crazycalvin on December 26, 2008, 02:33:30 PM
Makes no difference, but install them with writing out so you can see the bearing info without removing the bearings.  Later, Calvin.

Makes no difference !!!  Not true, they are made to go in one way.

Assemble them with the markings against the shoulder of the installation tool, which means you can see the markings (bearing information) once the tool has been removed.

kevmac

07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

les

It makes a difference.  Writing out so you can read it after installation.  The end that presses in is shaped different that the writing side.

Herko

December 26, 2008, 04:19:16 PM #7 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:22:08 PM by Herko
Heck, split the difference, put one with lettering in and one with lettering out.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

crazycalvin

December 26, 2008, 04:52:55 PM #8 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:08:25 PM by crazycalvin
So this means they are a directional bearing and can only rotate one way?  I thought that if a bearing was not a "one way" bearing it did not make a difference and you put the marking on the side that is going to be the quickest to become visible to aid in part number identification and verification.  A one way bearing is a different story and it should only rotate freely in one direction and should lock up in the other direction. 

les

No, what it means is that although they can be forced into position the wrong way, their shape was made so that the could "properly" be installed...and that is lettering out.

Herko

"So this means they are a directional bearing and can only rotate one way?"

No.
If you look at the bearing closely, the non-marked end of the bearing shell has a more rounded radius compared to the marked end. Allows for a better entry into the bearing bore. The marked end has a flat surface to assist in maintaining good square contact with the pressing mandrel. Hammering in the bearing risks the chance of loosing this square contact and possible bearing distortion and/or damage.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Sonny S.

Quote from: Herko on December 26, 2008, 05:05:41 PM

No.
If you look at the bearing closely, the non-marked end of the bearing shell has a more rounded radius compared to the marked end. Allows for a better entry into the bearing bore. The marked end has a flat surface to assist in maintaining good square contact with the pressing mandrel. Hammering in the bearing risks the chance of loosing this square contact and possible bearing distortion and/or damage.

BINGO !!

crazycalvin

Posts 9 and 10 explain it clearly now and I stand corrected.  Sorry for causing confusion, but I think that was a good learning experience - at least for me.  Later, Calvin.

egstandard

Here you go

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

PoorUB

Quote from: Herko on December 26, 2008, 05:05:41 PM

No.

Agree! But with some care and common sense you can drive the bearings in with a BFH, oops! I mean care, a suitable driver, and small hammer! If the bearing gets started crooked you run the risk of distorting it. As long as you drive it in with a tool that covers the whole face of the bearing, and use light taps, the bearings will go in easily. If you are unsure of your abilities, it is best to get ahold of the proper tool.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ultrashovel

You really need to get the correct tool so that the bearing can be pressed in slowly and straight. The JIMS or George's Tools are the least that I would use. Some folks ike to bash them in with a block of wood but that's not recommended.

As others say, the lettering goes out. If you look at the other end closely, you will see that it's slightly rounded to aid installation.

Sparks

If you keep them in the freezer over night it will help you push them in as well.

ClassicRider2002

or get some "dry" ice for $1.00 and you can do it even faster.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2