May 04, 2024, 03:55:30 PM

News:

Big Inch Touring Build...110" or 117"?

Started by Kleetus, December 29, 2008, 06:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rugby_fxdwg

117 or 116 has my vote beecause of the matching VIN #'s but I understand the savings of going with a whole motor. This has been an interesting discussion. I was under the impression the big motors had to be a high compression because of their size. Never thought of going with dished pistons and higher CC'd heads.
 My future plans include a build instead of a whole motor because the matching VIN situation. Yes, I have been pulled over and watched a masked FED with a video camera check every ones bike and that wasn't at a RALLY,in Charlotte, NC. Yes, I have seen the same thing go on at the Rallies...Myrtle, Daytona, Laconia....

Really enjoyed this discussion and hope others weight in...
Happy New Year to Y'all!
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

FLTRI

Quote from: Rugby_fxdwg on December 31, 2008, 09:38:15 AM
117 or 116 has my vote beecause of the matching VIN #'s but I understand the savings of going with a whole motor. This has been an interesting discussion. I was under the impression the big motors had to be a high compression because of their size. Never thought of going with dished pistons and higher CC'd heads.
 My future plans include a build instead of a whole motor because the matching VIN situation. Yes, I have been pulled over and watched a masked FED with a video camera check every ones bike and that wasn't at a RALLY,in Charlotte, NC. Yes, I have seen the same thing go on at the Rallies...Myrtle, Daytona, Laconia....

Really enjoyed this discussion and hope others weight in...
Happy New Year to Y'all!
When you purchase the engine you will receive a "certificate of origin" that you simply down to the DMV and show them the bike to verify VIN and then your registration will reflect the new engine serial number. No more than a couple hours of hassle, at least that's the way in California.
Just saying,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

HotRock

In Georgia the engine number does not appear on the title or registration, only the vin #.   

Kleetus

Quote from: HotRock on December 31, 2008, 09:28:05 AM
Yo Kleetus,  I see you're from Atlanta, yeee hawww!   I'm just out in Stone Mountain, give me  call if you like.   770 938 0584
We can discuss more at length big motors.
Jerry

HotRock...you going to Buckner's tomorrow?  We wouldn't miss it for anything. It's a New Years tradition for us.

Kleetus

se

Quote from: FLTRI on December 30, 2008, 07:07:01 PM
Quote from: GoFast..... on December 30, 2008, 01:44:47 PM
Bob, the only problem I have with that is I do not think it is 4000.00 out the door and a S&S 124 is dutuned from the Factory about  118 hp. Plus I would not like it if a hot 107 went by me. Its all good but the 107 is a budget build compaired to the 124" 8000.00 +labour. If you got deep pockets and also want to fix the low output 124 so people with much less do not go by you and do not mind breaking the S&S warranty. I just do not want people to thing you are getting some kind of bad boy 124". They have warranty issues and are not going to send it out HOT and also back it up.

Gotta say the 10-15 124 crate motors I've tuned right out of the box make between 120-125 hp not 118hp. Maybe if it wasn't tuned or tuned correctly. You know there is a bit in the tune. :wink:
Also as I stated there are deals for these engines virtually everywhere due to the economy for 7100 and below. Just takes a little effort to find one for a deep discount.

"They have warranty issues and are not going to send it out HOT and also back it up" Do you know anyone who will offer a 2 year parts and labor warranty for any 124" other than S&S?
Do you know anyone that will warrant a hot engine, period?
IMO the reason they offer the 2 years warranty is because they know the hot (read: aggressive compression and ign timing) engine simply do not hold up.
As far as getting passed by a hot 107, if you are comparing 2 Ultra CLassics loaded with passenger and 70 lbs luggage, etc, with all due respect I beg to differ with you as cubic inches and torque are king in this application.

Remember we are not talking about a FXD/FXR or even a Softail street hot rod, at least that isn't what I've heard from Kleetus.

As always, JMHO,
Bob

I have to agree with Bob on this 100%  just got off the phone with some one and they have a S&S124 at the shop with 23,000 miles on it, he wants it freshened up a bit ., sent the heads to Baisley and a few other things and it will really rip when it gets back... not a high hp bike this guy wants tq probley get about 125-130 square.
as far as the tune goes its pretty tough to  do a big motor with mail order stuff. the tune is a lot more imporant the reason i say that is you will have at least 5-7 grand into a motor and still not have it tuned.. carbs are easier but EFI is not
there are a bunch of guys running around with big in motors from reputiable shops that get spanked every day by smaller motors because they dont have a break in map and they do not have access to a good tuner.
Bob and every one Have  a Happy New Year.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

HotRock

Nawww reckon not Kleetus.   Would love to go, I ain't been in a long time.   But we having family here tomorrow for lunch, grandkids and all.
Y'all have a nice time and try an keep warm.

nome

Well, sounds like--for the money--the SnS is the winner.  However, there would be something to be said as to building the motor you have into something--albeit less reliable---stronger

se

specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

Kleetus

December 31, 2008, 06:48:04 PM #33 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:50:04 PM by Kleetus
Quote from: se on December 31, 2008, 06:09:59 PM
this place has some used 124ci motors
http://www.starracing.com/vspecials.php
Thanks for the info. I saw that 124" and the other TC's on their web site a while back. I've talked with George & George at the AHDRA events. Cool guys...They have a 145" TC Road King and can't keep the front wheel on the ground. It shakes the ground when it's idling. I've about decided what I'm going to do here. I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of guys.

Kleetus

FLTRI

Quote from: HotRock on December 31, 2008, 03:08:21 PM
In Georgia the engine number does not appear on the title or registration, only the vin #.   
So you could have a stolen engine in your bike and the cops would have no way to bust you? WOW!
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

GoFast.....

Quote from: Kleetus on December 31, 2008, 06:48:04 PM
Quote from: se on December 31, 2008, 06:09:59 PM
this place has some used 124ci motors
http://www.starracing.com/vspecials.php
Thanks for the info. I saw that 124" and the other TC's on their web site a while back. I've talked with George & George at the AHDRA events. Cool guys...They have a 145" TC Road King and can't keep the front wheel on the ground. It shakes the ground when it's idling. I've about decided what I'm going to do here. I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of guys.

Kleetus

You will here back from me when I post my 107 dyno sheet in about a month
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber